First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is. Frontal area is one of the primary contributors to aerodynamic drag, through Pascals Law:
Force = area x pressure, specifically.
Drag Force = area x Cd x (air density x velocity squared)/2

If I were Ford and had no idea what Cd your trailer might be, I'd assume the worst - a flat plate - and go from there. The Cd of a flat plate is 1.28. A sphere is 0.48.

It should be obvious that the sphere has to be 2.667x larger to have the same drag force. If your trailer is more sphere than plate, you can likely pull a larger trailer without issue.
I'm curious so I have to ask. When figuring out frontal area drag for towing would you combine the area of the Maverick and your trailer for the total? I would think that because the Maverick is already pushing air with it's frontal area that frontal area being added by the trailer would dramatically less than the actual area of the trailer. Does that make sense? I would think the actual area of the trailer contributing to the overall drag would less because the Maverick is already "blocking" 20 Sq ft of it.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sorry but if towing a camper is your main purpose then a 2k# one with the eb and 4k towing package is the only way to go with this truck or step up to the Ranger.

Ford Maverick Travel trailers for the hybrid IMG_20170706_070828807

koolkats3

First Name
LuAnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 vw passat
There is. Frontal area is one of the primary contributors to aerodynamic drag, through Pascals Law:
Force = area x pressure, specifically.
Drag Force = area x Cd x (air density x velocity squared)/2

If I were Ford and had no idea what Cd your trailer might be, I'd assume the worst - a flat plate - and go from there. The Cd of a flat plate is 1.28. A sphere is 0.48.

It should be obvious that the sphere has to be 2.667x larger to have the same drag force. If your trailer is more sphere than plate, you can likely pull a larger trailer without issue.
Thanks! That makes sense. Looks like you are a math genius. Would you be able to tell me how to make that measurement on the 13' Scamp. It is a 2018. Or maybe figure it out for me?
Here is their website.https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-standard-trailers

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks! That makes sense. Looks like you are a math genius. Would you be able to tell me how to make that measurement on the 13' Scamp. It is a 2018. Or maybe figure it out for me?
Here is their website.https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/13-standard-trailers
Which setup did you order?

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

coolhip33

First Name
Colleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FWD w/tow pkg
We have ordered the 2.0 ecoboost FWD with 4k tow. We are going to be pulling this awesome little trailer 14BH:

Ford Maverick Travel trailers for the hybrid 1630088706830

https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

Hitch Weight
Hitch Height
17"
GVWR
2,500 lbs
UVW
1,850 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity
650 lbs
Exterior Length
16'6"
Exterior Height
8'1"
Exterior Width Body
6'6"
Exterior Width Body w/Awning
7'1"
Exterior Width w/Wheel Wells
7'11"

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sorry but if towing a camper is your main purpose then a 2k# one with the eb and 4k towing package is the only way to go with this truck or step up to the Ranger.

IMG_20170706_070828807.jpg
You clearly have no appreciation for the minimalist aesthetic. I would NEVER tow the pictured beast...with ANY vehicle. I was a backpacker, just recently getting old and soft and transitioning to car camping. A teardrop trailer at 1300 lbs would be the next step. After that, I'll keel over dead.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have ordered the 2.0 ecoboost FWD with 4k tow. We are going to be pulling this awesome little trailer 14BH:

1630088706830.png

https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

Hitch Weight
Hitch Height
17"
GVWR
2,500 lbs
UVW
1,850 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity
650 lbs
Exterior Length
16'6"
Exterior Height
8'1"
Exterior Width Body
6'6"
Exterior Width Body w/Awning
7'1"
Exterior Width w/Wheel Wells
7'11"
You have seen that they are not building FWD w/4K towing, right?

You will have to update to AWD.

coolhip33

First Name
Colleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FWD w/tow pkg
You have seen that they are not building FWD w/4K towing, right?

You will have to update to AWD.
If you ordered BEFORE 8/19/21 you do not have to change your order to AWD. As of today, it will still be made as ordered.

I advise anyone that was contacted by their dealer and told that they had to change their order and purchase AWD to contact Ford customer service or the marketing department and change their order back if that is what they really want. It is on "late availability" so if you can wait, call Ford.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you ordered BEFORE 8/19/21 you do not have to change your order to AWD. As of today, it will still be made as ordered.

I advise anyone that was contacted by their dealer and told that they had to change their order and purchase AWD to contact Ford customer service or the marketing department and change their order back if that is what they really want. It is on "late availability" so if you can wait, call Ford.
I had not seen or heard that.

I might still be leery of that, particularly if the reason for the change originally was related to safety.

coolhip33

First Name
Colleen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick FWD w/tow pkg
I had not seen or heard that.

I might still be leery of that, particularly if the reason for the change originally was related to safety.
UPDATE: We were just notified the following alert popped up on our order
Informational Message

Alert: M -M023 -HOLD 4K Max Tow Not Available with FWD. AWD Required :mad:

I called my dealer first, then Ford customer service and then on another thread someone told me to call the Ford marketing department. All three confirmed the above information.
Sponsored

Last edited: