Sponsored

Totally Bonehead Move

Is this a bonehead move by Ford or "Safety Feature"?

• Bonehead move

• Legit safety measure, not just "sounded good on paper".

Results are only viewable after voting.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two different separate scenarios.
Once in Drive.
Once in Neutral.
And you're welcome.
I tested the vehicle so you won't have to.

Millions of people over the course of 125 years have pushed, pulled, or coasted a vehicle in neutral. Some have even towed them!

Imagine that!
The difference being that if people are towing the Maverick, they are (or at least, should be) following the directions in the owner's manual to engage a specific Neutral Tow mode, for both recreational/motorhome towing and emergency towing.

I would really hope that people read the owners manual from cover to cover at least once for a minimum 21K purchase that has the capacity to kill themselves or someone else if improperly used.

This other bit about people turning off the ignition while moving was advised against in my drivers ed many years ago unless it was something that turning off the engine would directly help, such as a stuck accelerator, because of several reasons. You could go unintentionally move past OFF to LOCK and lock the steering wheel accidentally (pretty easy to do at speed, on a road that's not perfectly smooth, etc), and/or some vehicles (especially carbureted vehicles) would risk backfiring because of unburned fuel basically backing up (not exactly, but close) when the ignition system was switched off and back on with the vehicle still moving.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry old boy, you are mixing fact with fiction and ages old recollections.

A) turning the key off has never ever locked the steering wheel. Try it. You'll prove me right. It must be in park to lock the steering.

How soon knowledge is lost.... šŸ˜¢
You cant loose knowledge if you don't have knowledge.

I've owned dozens of ( and have) vehicles where the key locks the steering wheel when turned to the 'off' position (irrespective of the gear shift position).. Virtually every car/truck with a 'steering column lock' does it.

The Maverick does not have a steering column lock...

Turing the key to the 'off' position while in motion and loosing power steering and power brakes is both stupid and dangerous....

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You cant loose knowledge if you don't have knowledge.

I've owned dozens of ( and have) vehicles where the key locks the steering wheel when turned to the 'off' position (irrespective of the gear shift position).. Virtually every car/truck with a 'steering column lock' does it.

The Maverick does not have a steering column lock...

Turing the key to the 'off' position while in motion and loosing power steering and power brakes is both stupid and dangerous....

No you haven't. Memory fails you.

The key turn DOES NOT LOCK THE STEERING.

You have to be in PARK and be able to remove the key and then turn the wheel (just a little bit) to lock the steering wheel, which was meant to be a crude anti-theft device.
The XLT Hybrid Maverick does not lock the steering at all.

BOOM!

(mic drop)

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No you haven't. Memory fails you.

The key turn DOES NOT LOCK THE STEERING.

You have to be in PARK and be able to remove the key and then turn the wheel (just a little bit) to lock the steering wheel, which was meant to be a crude anti-theft device.
The XLT Hybrid Maverick does not lock the steering at all.

BOOM!

(mic drop)
Pick the mic back up. You simply have zero reading comprehension and it appears therein lies your problem .

You stated that vehicles have never had wheel/column locks and must be in Park, that is absolutely not true, many vehicles have steering wheel / column locks. And PS, my 4-5 and 6 speed vehicles with a steering wheel lock donā€™t have ā€œParkā€. LOL

Mavericks do not lock the wheel.

I can space the letters out further apart if that helps... and my memory only needs to span the 80 feet from my family room to my attached garage where some of my fun ā€˜carsā€™ are stored...

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're still not getting it.
You're the one who mis-read.
Read and re-read carefully.
Then come back, if you think you have something meaningful to contribute.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cars WITH steering wheel locks DO NOT allow you to remove the key, in drive, you can only turn it half way. Enough to turn off the engine, but NOT lock the steering wheel.

It was a mechanical process of locking the steering wheel, not an electrical process.

You are prevented, by design, from doing what some claim. You can't now, nor could you in the 70's and 80's and 90's "lock up the steering" while coasting. (Unless yours was broken.)

To lock the steering multiple steps must happen.

A) must physically be in Park
B) key must be all the way turned to home position and/or be removed.

A-1) being in drive or neutral is not park
B-1) the design (unless physically defective) prevents you from removing the key, unless you are in park.

Your old memories fail you.
Your assumptions now and then are/were incorrect.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on intuition or the EV coach? I've never had the engine come on while creeping in EV mode myself, I just keep a very soft foot on the pedal.
I have had ice come on while in ev mode creeping into garage apparently when HVB got down to the soc that the ice is turned on to charge the HVB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

THIS is how I wore down the battery on my Buick. Turn off the ignition as I pull into my parking spot, turn off the key leave it in gear and get out like I've done thousands of times with my manual transmission car/truck. But, with an automatic you can't turn the key all the way off till it's in park. So dead battery.
This guy agrees with me.
(On the key part at least. )

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That dude from Star Trek being run over by his Jeep because it wasn't properly in Park. The headlines that were all over the news in the weeks following is why all vehicles since jump to park the moment it feels like it needs to. Ford would rather deal with your annoyance than have a celebrity run over by a Maverick in Neutral.
This may be the reason for "automation".

My question was, and still is:
"Why at 3 mph and not 0 mph?"

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cars WITH steering wheel locks DO NOT allow you to remove the key, in drive, you can only turn it half way. Enough to turn off the engine, but NOT lock the steering wheel.

It was a mechanical process of locking the steering wheel, not an electrical process.

You are prevented, by design, from doing what some claim. You can't now, nor could you in the 70's and 80's and 90's "lock up the steering" while coasting. (Unless yours was broken.)

To lock the steering multiple steps must happen.

A) must physically be in Park
B) key must be all the way turned to home position and/or be removed.

A-1) being in drive or neutral is not park
B-1) the design (unless physically defective) prevents you from removing the key, unless you are in park.

Your old memories fail you.
Your assumptions now and then are/were incorrect.
1000% WRONG. LOL Stop making up stuff you know absolutely nothing about,.

I make no assumptions, I do not rely on memory. I presently own 2 cars (with factory operating steering columns) that I can drive at any speed, rotate the key (inserted in the ignition cylinder) to the 'off' position and remove the key from either ignition. When the cylinder is in the off position to remove the key the engine is shut down, the steering column and steering wheel becomes locked and the cars will coast to a stop (or hit something due to the inability to steer).

That 'feature' is exactly why you don't turn the key/cylinder to 'off' or remove it while the car is at speed.

At least in Fords, cars 1969 and prior generally had the ignition switch (key) on the lower right side of the dash adjacent to the steering wheel. That changed in 1970 (and lasted for some years) when the ignition switch was moved to the steering column and incorporated a column/wheel locking pawl to prevent the wheel from moving when in the 'off' position or absent of a key for a number of model years..

I'm out of this thread, there's no value tryng to offer actual, empirical knowledge and fact (based on vehicles in their garage right now -vs- some internet search) to someone who lacks the ability to understand and absorb.

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1000% WRONG. LOL Stop making up stuff you know absolutely nothing about,.

I make no assumptions, I do not rely on memory. I presently own 2 cars (with factory operating steering columns) that I can drive at any speed, rotate the key (inserted in the ignition cylinder) to the 'off' position and remove the key from either ignition. When the cylinder is in the off position to remove the key the engine is shut down, the steering column and steering wheel becomes locked and the cars will coast to a stop (or hit something due to the inability to steer).

That 'feature' is exactly why you don't turn the key/cylinder to 'off' or remove it while the car is at speed.

At least in Fords, cars 1969 and prior generally had the ignition switch (key) on the lower right side of the dash adjacent to the steering wheel. That changed in 1970 (and lasted for some years) when the ignition switch was moved to the steering column and incorporated a column/wheel locking pawl to prevent the wheel from moving when in the 'off' position or absent of a key.

Video or you are full of šŸ’©

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

WhiteRiverToyota.com says:
"The steering wheelā€™s locking anti-theft feature will only engage if the driver moves the steering wheel when the vehicle is turned off and the key is removed from the ignition. The most common way it gets engaged is when someone uses the steering wheel to help them get out. If you donā€™t touch the steering wheel in this scenario, you wonā€™t have to worry about it locking.

From Subaru.com:
"As a security measure, your car's steering wheel will lock when you turn the wheel with the key removed from the ignition. You may find that your steering wheel won't turn, and the ignition key can't be turned either. In this case, everything about your car is working as intended -- it's just a matter of knowing what's happened."

From JefferyHonda.com:
"If you know youā€™ll be away from your vehicle in an unfamiliar location for an extended amount of time, youā€™ll also want to know how to lock your steering wheel on purpose. This can make it more of a struggle for anyone trying to access your vehicle. Not only will this give you peace of mind, but also itā€™s an easy task do to before you lock your vehicle:

• Simply turn off your vehicle and remove the keys from the ignition.
  • Turn your wheel to either side until you hear a click.
  • Then, your wheel will be locked until you return with your keys and start your vehicle."
And the cream of the crop:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...-turn-off-your-car-while-driving-a2882071726/

Consumer Reportsā€™ automotive experts explore if itā€™s possible to turn off the engine while a carā€™s moving.

ā€œI took a gas-only Ford Maverick, which has a physical key, and a hybrid Maverick, which uses a push-button starter, out to our test track,ā€ says Ryan Pszczolkowski, Consumer Reportsā€™ tire program leader and test driver. ā€œI drove the regular gas-engine truck down the straightaway and turned off the ignition while the vehicle was at speed. The engine turned off but the steering and brakes continued to work, which made it possible to pull the vehicle off to the side of the track. Once I came to a complete stop and put the car in Park, I was able to start the engine again.ā€

There were similar results with the Maverick hybrid, Pszczolkowski says. When the driver pushed and held in the push-start button for a few seconds while the truck was moving, the engine turned off. The steering and brakes worked in accessory mode, as well as the dashboard lights.

ā€œOn one hand, it might seem strange that you can turn off your car at highway speeds,ā€ says Mike Monticello, Consumer Reportsā€™ road test manager. ā€œBut the reality is that this is a safety feature. If your car experiences a fire or mechanical failure, itā€™s important that youā€™re able to cut power to the engine and safely pull the vehicle over to the side of the road.ā€

GPSMAN rides again....
šŸ¤ 

Last edited:

bwil415

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may be the reason for "automation".

My question was, and still is:
"Why at 3 mph and not 0 mph?"
To speculate on this from an engineer's perspective:

The reason is likely that whatever kind of speed sensor and associated circuitry is used could read 0.1 or 0.005 or -0.5 even at a standstill and it may fluctuate based on unknown circumstances like parking near power lines or a big electric motor.

So if you're the engineer programming the computer to make sure that the vehicle goes into park when stopped and the key off, you're probably going to tell it to shift when the reading is below a very conservative value, something like 3mph. You might be especially careful with this after the recent high profile incidents like what happened to Anton Yelchin, even if the root cause of that was something else entirely.

An engineer might also justify this because operating the car normally should never involve coasting to a stop with the key turned off. Even if someone does do that, it's unlikely to damage anything at that speed, and if it does, it's on the driver for not operating the vehicle according to the manual.

There would probably be a way with redundant sensors or some logic to really confirm and program it for 0mph, but Engineers work around constraints, and I doubt the situation you're describing was something they felt the need to plan for.

OP
OP
GPSMan

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

^ good answer

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There have been a couple times I turned the key off without switching to park and really appreciated the feature, it helps with the learning curve of the rotary shifter. Only difference is I was already at a complete stop.
It is a feature in the bronco sport. My wife's Buick also does it as it is a push pull button shifter.
Sponsored