Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went to my dealership and saw that they have 2 Maverick on their lot. One was a Lariat with FX4 package and the other one XLT with FX4 package. The Lariat was sold and was waiting for her owner. The XLT was for sale and was marked up by 5k. The Salesman was one of the coolest people I have ever met. He got me the keys and told me to go and test drive the XLT. I was so excited that I didn't know what to do and what to look for first. There was hardly any gas in the truck but I could drive it around the block. Here are my impressions and I want to focus on things what many of the professional reviewers haven't really talked about:

• You hear a lot "this is a small truck". Don't believe that. The Maverick has really a decent size and doesn't look small at all. From outside it looks like a cool truck and when you seat in the front, you have plenty of room.
  • One of my biggest fears was the driver seat would be too tight for me but there is plenty of room. The seats are comfortable and thanks to the low middle console you have good knee room. You can slide the seat much further back than an average car of this size would allow, therefore I understand that all the giant people had so much space in there. When the front seat is all the way back, there is hardly any room for the rear passenger though. My only criticism is, even though the front seats feel comfortable, I had the impression that after 1 or 2 hours you will feel that seats are on the smaller side and you will loose the comfort.
  • The interior quality is really good. Those XLT seat covers feel really high quality. The orange accents are in real live not as orange and even the orange console inserts look fully appropriate. I now don't think that I want to even replace or remove any of the orange stuff, because I think it all fits there perfectly fine.
  • I had the standard XLT model and the non leather steering wheel felt really good. Didn't miss the leather. One thing what really sucked is that you can't adjust the steering wheel up and down, only in and out. I had the feeling that the steering wheel is low and other taller people might have the same problem.
  • Can't tell much about the ride quality, it was really a short ride. From what I can say, it felt like a normal car, there was nothing extra ordinary. It was also the AWD with FX4 and since I have the standard hybrid, I didn't want to focus too much on the ride which is going to be complety different than mine. All I wanted, is to see how it feels to be in the truck. I took a Video while I was driving, will try to upload it. The only thing I heard and forgot that I said it during the recording: " Man, this is an efing cool truck :)".

Overall I think this was exactly what I was expecting, I can't wait to get my truck. My only advise when you get the chance to test drive one: Take a deep breath and relax. Take your time and touch and test everything as much as you can. I was so overwhelmed that I didn't know what to do first and ended up not testing many of the things I wanted to test and look for. I cross my fingers that we get our trucks soon!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Thanks for the info. Ford media says tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Think maybe you just missed the lever?

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It does have a tilt and telescoping steering wheel.

OP
OP
Sylvester

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does have a tilt and telescoping steering wheel.

I really tried hard but I could only pull in and out. I will try it again next time I get a chance.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Watch.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had the standard XLT model and the non leather steering wheel felt really good. Didn't miss the leather. One thing what really sucked is that you can't adjust the steering wheel up and down, only in and out. I had the feeling that the steering wheel is low and other taller people might have the same problem.
I drove an XL yesterday. I could both tilt and telescope the steering wheel, but it was a little stiff and I had to apply a bit of pressure.

The only thing I noticed that bothered me a little was that the rear view mirror is set pretty low in the windshield. This is probably to accommodate the electronics above it, but it seemed a bit intrusive in my line of vision. Maybe all new cars with all the driver assist features are like that. I haven't had a new car in a while.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Watch most of the review videos just released on Wednesday - just about every one of them the reviewer test the Tilt/Telescoping Steering wheel. It does go " up and down and in and out".

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
  • The interior quality is really good. Those XLT seat covers feel really high quality. The orange accents are in real live not as orange and even the orange console inserts look fully appropriate. I now don't think that I want to even replace or remove any of the orange stuff, because I think it all fits there perfectly fine.
Gonna have to disagree on this one. The physical space is well-designed/utilized, but the fit and finish definitely screams budget, particularly with the seats, cabin materials, and steering wheel controls.

Not a deal breaker, just something to consider. I happen to like the orange accents and geometric angles.

RGoose85

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick
Xlt owner here and confirm you can move/adjust the steering wheel to your driving needs.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Is it just me? - seems like most of the stock deliveries are XLT FX4's. I've turned down 2 locally, waiting for a Lariat.
Sponsored