Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking for general input to make my decision. We ordered a 2.0L Lariat Lux with sunroof back in late October. No build date yet and i'm on the fence about whether or not to cancel the sunroof. I finally found one near me that was a retail sale on hold due to the recall and the sales rep let me sit in it. I have about 1.5-2" at most of clearance between my head and the roof for the portion of roof covering the door over to the sunroof (at least half my head where I sit normally). The sunroof then bumps back up another couple inches adding more room. This was with the seat basically down to the floor and a slight recline. I actually prefer to sit a bit more upright than most so that could further reduce space.

What is considered "comfortable" or "normal" clearance? Is 1.5" sufficient or will that always feel cramped, especially if shifting in seat/turning to talk to kids etc? I've read some articles saying 38" is often considered the absolute minimum headroom for tall people (and thats what maverick with sunroof is - 38"). I recall sitting in an XLT with no sun roof and it felt quite spacious (40.3"). My gut is telling me that i may want to remove the sun roof to ensure i'm comfortable. After driving the XLT i was telling people how spacious they've made a truck that appears so small from the exterior. The way I see it the pros/cons are:

Pros:
- Opens up the cabin / feels bigger visually
- More natural light in the cabin
- Option for air flow in the shoulder seasons with the sliding back window
- Kids might find it fun to open up / look out

Cons:
- Extra cost (~$1,250 CAD after tax - was okay spending this though)
- Risk of feeling cramped every day while driving - the biggest factor?
- Potentially could cause issues if I get a lemon and encounter leaks (might not be an issue ever though)

What do you think? Are there any 6'2" or taller people out there that can share their thoughts or experience? I know some taller people have gone with it anyways, but I've read some that have avoided it as well. Do you think there's a risk i could jeopardize my spot in line by making this change at this point? Input is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 6'3" as well but also ordered the sunroof with my truck. I'm in the same boat waiting for a build date as you and the vehicle I test drive did not have the option on it. I currently drive a jeep renegade (another compact vehicle) with the removable roof panels and I have my seat up pretty high in that as well but I've never thought of it being cramped and I've never bumped my head on the roof but I only have maybe 1" of space when I'm sitting straight up. I personally don't think it will be an issue for me but I also don't sit super upright while I'm driving. I feel like we all probably slouch a bit more most of the time so I'm not expecting for there to be any issues.

RockinRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Im 6'2 and 215lbs and i have about 2-3 inches of head room in my comfortable seating position and i don't even notice it. It's comfortable. If i drop the seat all the way down i have like 5" of head room.

OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 6'3" as well but also ordered the sunroof with my truck. I'm in the same boat waiting for a build date as you and the vehicle I test drive did not have the option on it. I currently drive a jeep renegade (another compact vehicle) with the removable roof panels and I have my seat up pretty high in that as well but I've never thought of it being cramped and I've never bumped my head on the roof but I only have maybe 1" of space when I'm sitting straight up. I personally don't think it will be an issue for me but I also don't sit super upright while I'm driving. I feel like we all probably slouch a bit more most of the time so I'm not expecting for there to be any issues.
Thats part of the reason i haven't yet removed it from my order. I drove a 2003 Civic SI for almost 8 years that had a sunroof and i can't recall feeling too cramped...but i also didn't really think consciously think about that ever? I think it technically on paper had a bit more official headroom than the maverick with sunroof (somehow?), but i fit it in just fine considering it was a small car.

I'm questioning whether i'm being overly conscious of it because i'm shopping for a new vehicle, or if its indeed not enough clearance to be comfortable at 1.5". Our other vehicle is a Kia Sedona and i have plenty of space in it (4"+), but it's a spacious van and doesn't have a sunroof. So i'm trying to gauge whether 1.5" clearance is pretty typical, or far too small to be comfortable in the long run if i plan to drive the Mav for 8-10yrs.

OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im 6'2 and 215lbs and i have about 2-3 inches of head room in my comfortable seating position and i don't even notice it. It's comfortable. If i drop the seat all the way down i have like 5" of head room.
Just to clarify -- this is WITH a sun roof in yours, right?

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The way I look at it, is I keep my sunroof cover open 99% of the time. The 1% I close it is when someone complains the sun is bothering them. And I can live without the extra headroom and my hair slightly touching the liner for 1% of my driving time. Heck, I'd even slouch for it.

I love my sunroof. Even when it's gray. Maybe even especially when it's gray. We have a lot of gray up here.

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats part of the reason i haven't yet removed it from my order. I drove a 2003 Civic SI for almost 8 years that had a sunroof and i can't recall feeling too cramped...but i also didn't really think consciously think about that ever? I think it technically on paper had a bit more official headroom than the maverick with sunroof (somehow?), but i fit it in just fine considering it was a small car.

I'm questioning whether i'm being overly conscious of it because i'm shopping for a new vehicle, or if its indeed not enough clearance to be comfortable at 1.5". Our other vehicle is a Kia Sedona and i have plenty of space in it (4"+), but it's a spacious van and doesn't have a sunroof. So i'm trying to gauge whether 1.5" clearance is pretty typical, or far too small to be comfortable in the long run if i plan to drive the Mav for 8-10yrs.
I've driven small vehicles my whole life from a pontiac sunfire to a honda civic to a chevy cruze and now my jeep and I can't ever say I've had an issue with headroom in any of them. I can't imagine that the maverick would be the first one that would make me feel uncomfortable to the point where it's a problem.

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are a lot of variations in torso height, saying you're 6ft doesn't mean much if you've got 34" inseam vs 30" know what I mean?

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the seat is raised and you have a cap or hat on you will notice the moonroof but no other time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup, FX4, AWD,
Alright, thanks for the input. So we're almost in the same boat. I'm 1" taller and find about 1-2" of clearance in a position i'd s
The way I look at it, is I keep my sunroof cover open 99% of the time. The 1% I close it is when someone complains the sun is bothering them. And I can live without the extra headroom and my hair slightly touching the liner for 1% of my driving time. Heck, I'd even slouch for it.

I love my sunroof. Even when it's gray. Maybe even especially when it's gray. We have a lot of gray up here.
Haha ya i'd likely use mine a lot too. However, even when it's open, about half of your head will be constrained by the lower roof. The mechanism/hardware supporting the sunroof is to the left of it and drops the ceiling over there. Only about the far right 1/3 of my head lines up under the sun roof, the rest of my head is going to be with only 1.5" clearance for 100% of the driving time as it doesnt change with the sun roof open or closed.

Do you have yours already? Or just an order?

OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a lot of variations in torso height, saying you're 6ft doesn't mean much if you've got 34" inseam vs 30" know what I mean?
For sure - partly why i tried to use the clearance space as a reference point (~1.5" from head to ceiling) and am curious if this is pretty typical for other tall people in vehicles, or if that's generally considered uncomfortably tight for most people. 6'3" with a 34" in seam if your wondering :) I think i've been told i have a long torso?

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright, thanks for the input. So we're almost in the same boat. I'm 1" taller and find about 1-2" of clearance in a position i'd s

Haha ya i'd likely use mine a lot too. However, even when it's open, about half of your head will be constrained by the lower roof. The mechanism/hardware supporting the sunroof is to the left of it and drops the ceiling over there. Only about the far right 1/3 of my head lines up under the sun roof, the rest of my head is going to be with only 1.5" clearance for 100% of the driving time as it doesnt change with the sun roof open or closed.

Do you have yours already? Or just an order?
I do. Been driving it three weeks (1600km). I was concerned about the headroom loss with the Sunroof when I ordered, but went with it anyway. I'm glad I did.

I have 3" spare room above my head with it closed. I am 6-2". Maybe I have compressed a 1/2"ish with age and weight.

This sunroof operation is great. I can run with the panel fully back at 0°C with the heat on and the cabin stays comfortable. It's not very windy. Your hair doesn't fly around, front or back seat. It's a great way to get some fresh outdoor air and some sunlight in Winter.

Also, when you have to run Max Windshield Defrost on nuclear hot, popping the sunroof vent helps evacuate all that heat.

I love it. But if your head is hitting the liner on the side, I could see that may be an issue for you. That would probably happen around 6'-4" or 6'-5" range. You maybe able to cheat your seat back recline a little to gain another inch.

Grey Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Cactus Grey, Jeep Wrangler Mango
Looking for general input to make my decision. We ordered a 2.0L Lariat Lux with sunroof back in late October. No build date yet and i'm on the fence about whether or not to cancel the sunroof. I finally found one near me that was a retail sale on hold due to the recall and the sales rep let me sit in it. I have about 1.5-2" at most of clearance between my head and the roof for the portion of roof covering the door over to the sunroof (at least half my head where I sit normally). The sunroof then bumps back up another couple inches adding more room. This was with the seat basically down to the floor and a slight recline. I actually prefer to sit a bit more upright than most so that could further reduce space.

What is considered "comfortable" or "normal" clearance? Is 1.5" sufficient or will that always feel cramped, especially if shifting in seat/turning to talk to kids etc? I've read some articles saying 38" is often considered the absolute minimum headroom for tall people (and thats what maverick with sunroof is - 38"). I recall sitting in an XLT with no sun roof and it felt quite spacious (40.3"). My gut is telling me that i may want to remove the sun roof to ensure i'm comfortable. After driving the XLT i was telling people how spacious they've made a truck that appears so small from the exterior. The way I see it the pros/cons are:

Pros:
- Opens up the cabin / feels bigger visually
- More natural light in the cabin
- Option for air flow in the shoulder seasons with the sliding back window
- Kids might find it fun to open up / look out

Cons:
- Extra cost (~$1,250 CAD after tax - was okay spending this though)
- Risk of feeling cramped every day while driving - the biggest factor?
- Potentially could cause issues if I get a lemon and encounter leaks (might not be an issue ever though)

What do you think? Are there any 6'2" or taller people out there that can share their thoughts or experience? I know some taller people have gone with it anyways, but I've read some that have avoided it as well. Do you think there's a risk i could jeopardize my spot in line by making this change at this point? Input is appreciated! Thanks!
I am 6’ 2 and my son is 6’7 and we both have no issue with headroom. once we put the seat where we like it headroom was no issue.

OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am 6’ 2 and my son is 6’7 and we both have no issue with headroom. once we put the seat where we like it headroom was no issue.
Woah - 6' 7" with no issues? Does he lay down when driving? Surely he uses quite a reclined position to fit under that roof.... If i had 1.5-2" with the seat basically on the floor then he would have to find a couple inches with the recline to even fit in?
Sponsored