Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 13

Just in! Our spy photographer caught an interesting new Ford Maverick prototype which could possibly represent an early mule for a higher-performance (ST?) variant. This prototype is not wearing a license plate, which may mean that testing is currently limited to the relative safety of Ford’s test track, where our long lens caught it doing laps

Key Camouflaged Elements Suggest Higher-Performance Intentions.
This early prototype is rocking disguised wheel arches, which appear to be flared a bit to allow wider tires. The truck’s wheels are also covered with camo-covered disks. The most interesting bit, however, is found when looking at this Maverick’s rear-end…Is that a dual exhaust set-up?

Dual Exhaust: The Visual Evidence
While the current FWD Hybrid and AWD EcoBoost Mavericks are both equipped with a single exhaust pipe tucked under the left side of the bumper, this new prototype looks like it has dual exhaust outlets. Although photographed from long-distance, it appears that holes have been cut into the corners of the rear bumper—within the protrusions which frame the panel housing the license plate and tow hitch. We took a close look at a production Maverick to make sure that those textured bumper nubs aren’t separate, pop-out pieces, and they are not. Ford engineers had to physically cut these openings, in the perfect place for a dual-exhaust set-up.

Upgraded Intercoolers On Display?
Although fine details elude us on these long-range shots, we think we can see evidence of changes within this Maverick’s front-fascia’s air-intakes. There appear to be new intercoolers visible in the bottom of the Maverick’s primary grille, as well as in the prototype’s lower air-intake, suggesting a possible high-performance intent.

This tantalizing Maverick testbed appears to be an early work in progress, with the key changes focused in all the areas that would be addressed in a sportier variant. Front-fascia design changes would come along later in development, to more artfully accommodate the performance-focused cooling, and provide a more aggressive look. We’ll definitely be on the hunt for a closer look at this prototype, to see what’s going on in higher-resolution form.

Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 13
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 12
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 11
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 8
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 2
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 3
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 9
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 14
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 4
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 15
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 10
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 6
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 5
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 7
Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? 2023 Ford Maverick ST prototype 1
Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Hope they test it better than they did with the FOCUS RS. Great car with one lousy part [wrong headgasket!] They could just drop the Maverick's body on the last Heritage version of the RS with the 2.3 370/350 with the front Quaife limited-slip differential, and the rear axle’s GKN Twinster torque vectoring technology! Same wheel bolt pattern!

Ford Maverick Spied! High-Performance Ford Maverick ST in the Works? RS targa

Last edited:

MistiT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Misti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That's nifty and all, but I dread when they start emailing out the announcements to people still waiting on their 22's. Lol Happened to my friend who ordered a Bronco, he was still waiting on that and they emailed about the Bronco Raptor.. 🤦‍♀️

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A street performance version would make a lot more sense (and cheaper development...) than a more capable off-road version.

I think an ST would be a great addition to the lineup!

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I can't get a Lariat Hybrid anytime soon, I would be very excited about a Maverick ST if priced right. My only hope is that they don't make the suspension overly stiff, like Hyundai did with the Kona N, taking a great little crossover and making it painful on anything but glass streets.

I'd love to see a simple package with just nicer black wheels with wider performance summer tires w/ fender flares to accommodate the width, limited slip differential in the rear, 310hp 2.3 ecoboost, bigger brakes, and some aesthetic changes like a front splitter. Nothing too extreme.
And yet, still no fog lights.... /s
Mercedes typically removes foglights for their AMG versions of cars, so there ya go!

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meh. I'll get excited when there are details are revealed.

rockn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish they would remove the radio antenna and make it look like this! Only the shark fin antenna. Looks much better!

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
BRING! IT! ON!

Did I buy too early?

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know. Just don’t get that many chances to throw cars and baking together. Well, except for the Chevy Bolt.
Come to Arizona. I can cook you breakfast on my dashboard by 9AM

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's nifty and all, but I dread when they start emailing out the announcements to people still waiting on their 22's. Lol Happened to my friend who ordered a Bronco, he was still waiting on that and they emailed about the Bronco Raptor.. 🤦‍♀️
I keep getting Emails about Ford Lightning :ROFLMAO:

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to see they aren’t resting on their laurels despite selling more than double the number of Mavericks than their only current competitor (Santa Cruz).

By the time Ram, Chevy, and Toyota come out with a small truck again, Ford will have multiple variants of the Maverick.
Sponsored