First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Engine
Undecided
I was wondering when someone would come up with something. That space is a void looking Something to fill.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TerryE

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Make sure you get the moon roof for the ejection seat! Otherwise the ride might be quite unpleasant for the passengers when ejecting…..
NP, I may warn my wife

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You've gotten me thinking about this space.

Have you seen measurements for it?

I am guessing it is about 4" high and what, about 3" wide?

I thought about 3d printing some kind of basket or ledge or shelf or something to hold USB drives. In my vehicle now they get mixed up with whatever junk gets in to the tray.

I think it would be a good fit for a raspberry pi with a 3.5" screen mounted horizontal, with a 3d printed edge or bezel or frame to hold it. It should be possible to run a usb cable for power through the dash and attach it to the usb slots below somehow.

The thing is, I can't figure out what it would be for. With android auto it already has gps maps and streaming music, and all the real computer stuff for the actual truck are on the center display and there wouldn't be good sensors for that input anyway. You could blue tooth a controller and the passenger could play NES games or something on a tiny screen. I can't come up with a good purpose for it. Maybe music visualizations or something. Raspberry pi 3 and 4 have built in blue tooth so maybe it could connect to synch, but again I don't see much purpose in it.

I'm thinking a size like this. It would be touch screen so might work for your buttons. This is 2.5" X 3.5" X 1.5" deep. I think a 4" screen would probably be too big for the slot.

Another thought, I have a little cell phone called a unihertz atom. It is about 3.8" tall by 1.8" wide. If I could find a way to run a usb power cable, maybe I could print some kind of bezel or frame and put it in there permanently connected to android auto or something. I like having it as a hiking gps though so I don't know. That has a 2.5 inch screen so would lose a lot to a raspberry pi.

You an install android on a raspberry pi and google play store. I don't know if one will run android auto. Maybe install android on a raspberry pi and connect to android auto through bluetooth, get the hotspot on the truck and connect raspberry pi to it with wifi. Sort of like having a permanent phone in there I guess.

There is a project to do sort of the opposite, to use a pi4 and display as the head unit in the car to run android auto from your phone, that doesn't really help here because we already have android auto in the mav.
https://getcrankshaft.com/

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking of repurposing an older smaller phone that may fit in that cubby, and run DashCommand:
Ford Maverick Screen Cubby Project 1625268612034

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another silly idea (maybe not?): You know how the Bronco has the accessory switches above the windshield, and the Hero switches on the dash above the screen? And how the Bronco has the power outlet on the dash, root? The way I put 2 and 2 and purple together, and thought why not have an accessory switch panel there instead with a few extra USB power ports for a dashcam, GPS, and other accessories?

I think of the various ways people could use them for lighting from utility vehicles with the amber light bars, spotlights, flood lights, etc., to people adding custom accessories like under-body lighting, audio equipment, HAM, CB, GMRS radios, etc. Dashcams, GPS, phone and device chargers (even better if they could be tied into the existing USB ports, too for phone connectivity in those ports as well). If someone can make one and have it match the interior styling and do a plug-n-play harness, they'd probably sell quite a few.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
perfect for your favorite Bobble Head figurine (y)

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB