Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello everyone,

Im trying to see if anyone else has been having any issues with your 8 speed transmission. Mine roughly started at about 4K miles. The shifts are somewhat rough/abrupt, clunky at slow speeds or when in traffic. Now at 10k miles it’s getting pretty annoying. I have no issues at higher speeds above 35-40mph. Initial acceleration feels as if tranny shifts through every single gear so it feels as if it’s hesitating. When in traffic, it’s constantly up shifting then down shifting when I let off the accelerator. Hope to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 3k miles and have found the transmission in traffic goes thru the gears ok but lands in the highest gear way to early in the normal and eco drive modes; to the point of the engine lugging (can’t be good for a turbo engine).

Perhaps having 4K tow is a factor, cause when using the tow/haul drive mode, the transmission works great in traffic (albeit high revs).

As with you, on the highway there are no issues.

OP
OP

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 3k miles and have found the transmission in traffic goes thru the gears ok but lands in the highest gear way to early in the normal and eco drive modes; to the point of the engine lugging (can’t be good for a turbo engine).

Perhaps having 4K tow is a factor, cause when using the tow/haul drive mode, the transmission works great in traffic (albeit high revs).

As with you, on the highway there are no issues.
I did think that the higher drive unit in the 4K tow would be some issue. I used to try slippery mode to retard some of the power and it helped for a while but it hasn’t done what it used to in some time. I would use slippery since I do not have eco due to the FX4.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven’t seen the same type of shifting issues, but I have noticed a less smooth transmission at lower speeds in the 4K version of the two Mavericks we have.

They are identical other than the 4K on mine. My wife’s drives silky smooth at lower speeds where as mine has noticeable shifts.

OP
OP

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven’t seen the same type of shifting issues, but I have noticed a less smooth transmission at lower speeds in the 4K version of the two Mavericks we have.

They are identical other than the 4K on mine. My wife’s drives silky smooth at lower speeds where as mine has noticeable shifts.
Then that must be the culprit. Hopefully I notice what you’re stating in my upcoming Tremor.

Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No issues with mine accelerating. Even does great towing max payload. I have noticed it can get a little jerky downshifting around 2nd or 3rd gear sometimes.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take it to the dealer. Sounds like potential valve body issues.

LtCasual

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you check fluid level? I have seen some reports here on under and possibly overfilled transmissions from the factory.

L1a1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-25O Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2023 EB AWD 4K tow package with 4600 miles and my truck does the herky jerky when shifting 1-4 at normal acceleration. It started this around the 3k mile mark, smooth as silk before this. I checked plugs, coils and the PCV valve as possibilities and decided that it is the transmission. Does this in all modes. No codes set. I haven't taken it in as the technicians we have now can't diagnose without a code. I am hoping i'll get a code or it implodes soon as this is very annoying.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen a lot of reports on this on MTC. The 8 speed hunts worse than Elmer Fudd below 40 mph and I have the same issues with it as you do. Apparently there is a TSB on it but good luck getting it fixed. Some people in one thread I found reported their transmission being straight up replaced. I've had no luck with that and the parts the one dealer was going to order are on indefinite back order with no ETA, so I'm pushing for a straight up swap. This is what I found on it:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10231021-0001.pdf

There are a couple other similar ones as well.

Sponsored

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen a lot of reports on this on MTC. The 8 speed hunts worse than Elmer Fudd below 40 mph and I have the same issues with it as you do. Apparently there is a TSB on it but good luck getting it fixed. Some people in one thread I found reported their transmission being straight up replaced. I've had no luck with that and the parts the one dealer was going to order are on indefinite back order with no ETA, so I'm pushing for a straight up swap. This is what I found on it:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10231021-0001.pdf

There are a couple other similar ones as well.
The link you provided shows a very limited production problem. This customer satisfaction program is for 2022 Mavericks built from Oct 3 2022 through Oct 4 2022 with 29 total vehicles of all listed types in the affected population.

Not saying that there a not any problems with the 8F35 transmission.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The link you provided shows a very limited production problem. This customer satisfaction program is for 2022 Mavericks built from Oct 3 2022 through Oct 4 2022 with 29 total vehicles of all listed types in the affected population.

Not saying that there a not any problems with the 8F35 transmission.
Yea that is the only thing I personally found. But the TSB the dealer found mentions a lot more, I just can't find it.

brokenaxle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 23 tremor lariat started shifting weird the day it hit 5,000km (3,100 miles), like someone flipped a switch on it. On up shifts it will shudder in the mid gears, 6-7 is fine but 7-8 at urban speeds it really shudders. Prior to this the motor/trans had good low torque response, very similar to my diesel Gladiator. On the highway it would hold 8th gear very good but now it seems like a modest head wind causes the transmission to start hunting gears like it has no torque from the motor. Another thing it started doing is down shifting two gears at urban speeds, this is a very jerky shift.
I tried the tow/haul setting and it helped the hunting for gears but this setting makes the transmission down shift hard when braking, like 3-3500rpm down shift. The city mpg is starting to get worse with all the extra shifting.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m starting to have problems with mine as well. Only 6500 miles currently and was built in November of 2022

Accelerating from 0-40 is clunky. Driving at low speeds is annoying, especially when crawling in traffic due to the constant jerkiness and clunky shifting.

Despite the tires being at 37 psi (according to the dash display), it’s a struggle to get it to maintain a speed like 25mph in town without constant on and off the throttle too.

On the highway it seems like it’s a ton of effort to maintain 75mph now unlike before when it was easy even with the AC on full blast.

Not particularly fast anymore when floored/WOT either.

Today randomly when attempting to go around someone making a left on a one lane road, it wouldn’t accelerate properly. It just stuttered very badly for about 10 seconds at like 2mph like the engine was going to stall out and then randomly took off.

Gas mileage is now 22mpg average even with alot of highway driving in as well. The AC has pretty much on constantly but still, I was getting 28-30 running the AC in the same type of conditions before.

I plan on taking the truck in soon but am quite annoyed as it’s garage kept on a battery tender and not daily driven. The dash rattles have gotten worse and now whenever I pull into my driveway there is a clunk too.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I’m starting to have problems with mine as well. Only 6500 miles currently and was built in November of 2022

Accelerating from 0-40 is clunky. Driving at low speeds is annoying, especially when crawling in traffic due to the constant jerkiness and clunky shifting.

Despite the tires being at 37 psi (according to the dash display), it’s a struggle to get it to maintain a speed like 25mph in town without constant on and off the throttle too.

On the highway it seems like it’s a ton of effort to maintain 75mph now unlike before when it was easy even with the AC on full blast.

Not particularly fast anymore when floored/WOT either.

Today randomly when attempting to go around someone making a left on a one lane road, it wouldn’t accelerate properly. It just stuttered very badly for about 10 seconds at like 2mph like the engine was going to stall out and then randomly took off.

Gas mileage is now 22mpg average even with alot of highway driving in as well. The AC has pretty much on constantly but still, I was getting 28-30 running the AC in the same type of conditions before.

I plan on taking the truck in soon but am quite annoyed as it’s garage kept on a battery tender and not daily driven. The dash rattles have gotten worse and now whenever I pull into my driveway there is a clunk too.
Hi there! I can look into your Maverick's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Maverick's VIN?
Sponsored