Rostra Cruise Control Install

agregularguy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL w/ AWD and 4k Tow
Finally got around to having a local shop install my Rostra cruise control module.. just couldn't go without cruise control any longer. Most of my driving is done on the highway.

I didn't mind having the lever installed, but I wish the buttons on the lever felt less cheap. There is an indicator light on the lever itself if it's on, however, no lights/warnings pop up in the gauge cluster. The way it's installed in my Maverick though means I can't see the indicator light while driving straight. (see photos) But, for $300 + installation, it works without issue and it's all I need.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Figured I'd post a few photos for anyone else with an XL who might be thinking about it.

Ford Maverick Rostra Cruise Control Install drivin

Ford Maverick Rostra Cruise Control Install closeup1

Ford Maverick Rostra Cruise Control Install tiltedwheel
Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing your experiences going the Rostra route for your XL cruise control needs. But brace yourself for the questions why you didn't go the factory cruise steering wheel button option.

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally got around to having a local shop install my Rostra cruise control module.. just couldn't go without cruise control any longer. Most of my driving is done on the highway.

I didn't mind having the lever installed, but I wish the buttons on the lever felt less cheap. There is an indicator light on the lever itself if it's on, however, no lights/warnings pop up in the gauge cluster. The way it's installed in my Maverick though means I can't see the indicator light while driving straight. (see photos) But, for $300 + installation, it works without issue and it's all I need.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Figured I'd post a few photos for anyone else with an XL who might be thinking about it.

driving.jpg

closeup1.jpg

tiltedwheel.jpg
Thanks for doing this. I took possession of my XL on March 30. I've always intended to get this added. It helps to see it done

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing your experiences going the Rostra route for your XL cruise control needs. But brace yourself for the questions why you didn't go the factory cruise steering wheel button option.
I wonder why he didnā€™t go with the factory cruise steering wheel button option? šŸ˜‰

In all seriousness though, I donā€™t understand why someone would install the aftermarket cruise. While it obviously works, I donā€™t see any advantages. Installing the buttons and programming with FORScan is easier, cleaner, and you get the display indicators. Best upgrade I made to my XL.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Simple, almost anyone can install and don't need FORScan. No bashing please.
Ironically, the only people that seem to actively bash the Rostra device are those who have installed itā€”including the OPā€™s criticisms in the post that starter this thread.

For those who might be on the fence about which route to go, itā€™s worth noting that FORScan is actually not that difficult to use. There are a number if YouTube videos that explain it very well, and the instructions in this forum are clear and accurate. The codes that activate the cruise control feature are exactly the same that Ford uses, so there are no aftermarket oddities that could arise.

The truth is that I was far more nervous about installing Rosettaā€™s solution, which requires cutting & splicing wires, drilling holes, and installing a third-party device into the electrical system, than I was about swapping Ford OEM switches and changing a few software settings to match Fordā€™s CC defaults.

All of that said, I would have installed the Rostra device if there werenā€™t an OEM option. So Iā€™m not bashing Rostra, just noting that there is a better, easier, cheaper, and possibly safer option out there.

Last edited:

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ironically, the only people that seem to actively bash the Rostra device are those who have installed itā€”including the OPā€™s criticisms in the post that starter this thread.

For those who might be on the fence about which route to go, itā€™s worth noting that FORScan is actually not that difficult to use. There are a number if YouTube videos that explain it very well, and the instructions in this forum are clear and accurate. The codes that activate the cruise control feature are exactly the same that Ford uses, so there are no aftermarket oddities that could arise.

The truth is that I was far more nervous about installing Rosettaā€™s solution, which requires cutting & splicing wires, drilling holes, and installing a third-party device into the electrical system, than I was about swapping Ford OEM switches and setting a few software setting last to Fordā€™s CC defaults.

All of that said, I would have installed the Rostra device if there werenā€™t an OEM option. So Iā€™m not bashing Rostra, just noting that there is a better, easier, cheaper, and possibly safer option out there.
Very well said. :cool:

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly the same here.

Canyon Racer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed mine before the hack became available. At that time it was uncertain if it ever would be. I won't take it out unless it ever fails but it works exactly as needed even down to 15mph. I angled the stem down and can just see the light when the wheel is straight.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I installed mine before the hack became available. At that time it was uncertain if it ever would be. I won't take it out unless it ever fails but it works exactly as needed even down to 15mph. I angled the stem down and can just see the light when the wheel is straight.
Cool. I like cruise controls that work in school zones.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had my truck arrived earlier, I likely would have installed the Rostra device as well. But the OEM solution was well under development by the time I got my truck, so I helped research and refine the FORScan codes used for the hybrids before installing it. The good thing is that both solutions seem solid and effective.

Reactions: HTX

wsimmonsVOXX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

driving.jpg

closeup1.jpg

tiltedwheel.jpg
Thanks very much for your purchase and for sharing your feedback with the group.

Bill Simmons
Marketing Director
VOXX Electronics Corporation
2351 J. Lawson Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32824

OP
OP

agregularguy

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL w/ AWD and 4k Tow
No problems with the criticisms-- I am not good with cars/working on cars, and wasn't comfortable installing the OEM option myself. I knew the local installer had ROSTRA products and had used them before for sound systems, so I felt comfortable going to them for this.

Would it be nicer to get the OEM option? In the long run, probably, yeah, but I'm a simple man. I don't need anything fancy and this works for exactly what I need.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No problems with the criticisms-- I am not good with cars/working on cars, and wasn't comfortable installing the OEM option myself. I knew the local installer had ROSTRA products and had used them before for sound systems, so I felt comfortable going to them for this.

Would it be nicer to get the OEM option? In the long run, probably, yeah, but I'm a simple man. I don't need anything fancy and this works for exactly what I need.
Well said.

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder why he didnā€™t go with the factory cruise steering wheel button option? šŸ˜‰

In all seriousness though, I donā€™t understand why someone would install the aftermarket cruise. While it obviously works, I donā€™t see any advantages. Installing the buttons and programming with FORScan is easier, cleaner, and you get the display indicators. Best upgrade I made to my XL.
I am not into self installing anything. In my estimation the cost of a steering wheel plus finding a business to do the installation and programming is problematic. I'd prefer the steering wheel/ForSCAN option, but don't need the additional headaches. Pretty sure there is also a dash button option with the Rostra that could reduce the issues with the sight lines of the post.
Sponsored