Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not into self installing anything. In my estimation the cost of a steering wheel plus finding a business to do the installation and programming is problematic. I'd prefer the steering wheel/ForSCAN option, but don't need the additional headaches. Pretty sure there is also a dash button option with the Rostra that could reduce the issues with the sight lines of the post.
You don't need a new steering wheel, just the buttons. It's actually less expensive than Rostra's system. Plus, FORScan and a scanner can be used for other stuff.

I'm not sure what additional headaches you might face. But Rostra's installation looks like WAY more trouble than the OEM version--which is a big part of the reason why I waited for the OEM solution. As an added benefit (but admittedly unnecessary), the OEM version integrates with the computer, which activates the set-speed display on the dash.

But, yes, if you want to buy an aftermarket system, and then to pay for someone to do the tricky install for you, then the Rostra system may be the better option. I'm glad that we are both happy with our choices.
Sponsored

Last edited:

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't need a new steering wheel, just the buttons. It's actually less expensive than Rostra's system. Plus, FORScan and a scanner can be used for other stuff.

I'm not sure what additional headaches you might face. But Rostra's installation looks like WAY more trouble than the OEM version--which is a big part of the reason why waited for the OEM solution. As an added benefit (but admittedly unnecessary), the OEM version integrates with the computer, which activates the set-speed display on the dash.

But, yes, if you want to buy an aftermarket system, and then to pay for someone to do the tricky install for you, then the Rostra system may be the better option. I'm glad that we are both happy with our choices.
I appreciate your viewpoint. Since I got my Mav, I've been paying way less attention to the forum. When the original discussion around enabling CC was happening, people were buying 2021 Bronco steering wheels to do it then using Forscan. You're saying you just get a new button assembly, and activate the code?

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'm not sure what additional headaches you might face. But Rostra's installation looks like WAY more trouble than the OEM version--which is a big part of the reason why waited for the OEM solution. As an added benefit (but admittedly unnecessary), the OEM version integrates with the computer, which activates the set-speed display on the dash.

Any chance you could share the step by step details? I did a search but this has been discussed so much it's hard to find the exact posts. I am interested but would need very specific steps, parts, etc before I'd even consider it. I'd be grateful for your assistance.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any chance you could share the step by step details? I did a search but this has been discussed so much it's hard to find the exact posts. I am interested but would need very specific steps, parts, etc before I'd even consider it. I'd be grateful for your assistance.
DIY Forscan enabled Cruise control XL models only | MaverickTruckClub - 2022+ Ford Maverick Pickup Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

The first few posts cover everything that you need to know, and have been updated with current information from other threads.

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally got around to having a local shop install my Rostra cruise control module.. just couldn't go without cruise control any longer. Most of my driving is done on the highway.

I didn't mind having the lever installed, but I wish the buttons on the lever felt less cheap. There is an indicator light on the lever itself if it's on, however, no lights/warnings pop up in the gauge cluster. The way it's installed in my Maverick though means I can't see the indicator light while driving straight. (see photos) But, for $300 + installation, it works without issue and it's all I need.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Figured I'd post a few photos for anyone else with an XL who might be thinking about it.

driving.jpg

closeup1.jpg

tiltedwheel.jpg
I had after market cruise added to one of my vehicles way way back in 1984. Didn't have a gauge cluster to view back then and it worked great. Congrats on getting it added.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder why he didn’t go with the factory cruise steering wheel button option? 😉

In all seriousness though, I don’t understand why someone would install the aftermarket cruise. While it obviously works, I don’t see any advantages. Installing the buttons and programming with FORScan is easier, cleaner, and you get the display indicators. Best upgrade I made to my XL.
Would you do a write up on it?