First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had rodent (Squirrel) chew through a fuel line on my wife's Accord Hybrid. Cost me $1200 and she wanted her half of the garage back to park in. It ain't easy living in my back woods paradise.
Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I had rodent (Squirrel) chew through a fuel line on my wife's Accord Hybrid. Cost me $1200 and she wanted her half of the garage back to park in. It ain't easy living in my back woods paradise.
So essentially it cost you FAR MORE than $1200. You can't put a price on a man's garage space.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A mouse could get there anywhere, doesn’t have to be in your garage. Ford’s not going to cover that! WTF do you expect from a warranty? Wow just wow. Ford’s fault, makes me laugh at the thought of it.
If it happened sitting on a lot in Mexico for a month waiting on a chip, then yea, it's a Ford problem. But who inspects all of their wiring before taking delivery??? I just happened to notice field mice damage under the hood of the Genesis coupe I was buying in 2016. I pointed it out to the manager and asked him to have his mechanics check all the wiring under the hood. They replaced all of the damaged parts before I took possession of the car. Field mice love anything covered or containing foam rubber, and insulated wiring. As I mentioned on another thread, if you live in the country and have field mice or squirrels around, the best deterrents are a couple of good 'ol barn cats. They're killing machines. Just don't feed them much, or they won't do their job ;)

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got that right. Dang tree rats. I was told they used peanut oil to put the hoses together.

Sponsored

Bryblayma

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi
Flew 600 miles and paid $5K over invoice to get my Maverick Lariat- Yes, I wanted it that bad.
LOVED it for 1,900 miles until I got an Engine Light warning, and had to take it to my local dealer.

Issue diagnosed to be a single wire damaged by rodent- at a repair cost of nearly $600 that was NOT covered under warranty.

I do not have rodents in my garage, and my subsequent calls to Ford are have been useless.
The Mav was produced in early Feb, and I purchased it in late March, which means Ford owned it during transit after manufacturing longer than the time I have owned it since purchasing. Additionally a $600 repair bill for a few small wire terminals is crazy.

I've since seen stories of Soy Based Wiring insulation attracting rodents, etc., but since I do not have any in my garage where this Mav is kept, I can only assume that the problem may have begin at the point of manufacture in Mexico. Then, a few weeks later the wire frayed enough to cause the Engine light to come on.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I still love the Maverick, but am extremely disappointed in Ford.

Wait wait wait...where are the wires at? So a few months ago someone posted a video about how when he used his remote start there would be this area behind the engine and right by the catalytic converter that would light up bright orange red and burn up all the wires..is that where it was..can you post a video of the place where the wires were messed up at? Do you have remote start on this truck?

Bryblayma

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi
Wait wait wait...where are the wires at? So a few months ago someone posted a video about how when he used his remote start there would be this area behind the engine and right by the catalytic converter that would light up bright orange red and burn up all the wires..is that where it was..can you post a video of the place where the wires were messed up at? Do you have remote start on this truck?

There is a technical service bulletin for the idle surge/ rough idle with high temperature. If your truck was built before March 9 2022

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same for me. My corolla had 75% of the wire casing eaten, not a touch to the wire. But my insurance covered all but my $250 deductible. I had the whole harness replaced even though the engine light never came on, so when I sold it I'd get its value.. The part with tax was over $2,700 and labor was 14 hrs at $225/hour, so almost $6k. California prices. I use a mouse blocker now.
What is a mouse blocker? I have tried dryer sheets, mothballs, everything you can think of. The only thing that has worked is good old snap traps. Some years it's a big issue other years nothing.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nah, probably not. Inherent vice or vermin.... depends on how the adjuster interprets it. Hitting a deer is different than an infestation.... I'd be interested in knowing what they say. I retired after 45 years in the insurance biz and sometimes it comes down to the adjuster's mood.
Mice are covered under insurance. Buddybhad all wiring in his dash replaced due to a mouse by insurance

C from SF

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 XL AWD Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is a mouse blocker? I have tried dryer sheets, mothballs, everything you can think of. The only thing that has worked is good old snap traps. Some years it's a big issue other years nothing.
Go on Amazon. Little $20 device that blinks when motioned sensored and makes a noise we can't hear but sounds like a jackhammer to rodents. They come in wall plug in, 12volt car battery plug in (wire wraps around your EB battery) OR what I have, AA battery rechargeable. One charge lasts 45 days. Doesn't bother cats, dogs or birds, just squirrels, mice, other rodents. Keeps mice and squirrels out of my mountain cabin too.

Sponsored

trenado88

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra
If you paid 5K over MSRP, you would not pay additional $600.
Let’s say you extra

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there anything we can do to protect the wires from being chewed on? A liberal application of spray on undercoating or something?
Fill an old sock full of moth balls and tie it off, then ziptie it inside the engine compartment away from moving parts or anything that gets hot. Mice and rats hate that camphor smell and will stay away.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The engine on my Tacoma had to be entirely REMOVED to replace the wiring harness that was chewed through by critters. Covered by insurance less the deductible

I installed this product and so far 3yrs later have not had any repeat. (Zoom in on the black box bolted on the sheet metal)

https://mouseblocker.com/

Ford Maverick Rodent cost me $600  plus time AB8BEF0A-2F53-4AA4-AE3D-D72B16CEA1D0

Last edited:

RanCheeto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt, Audi TT, 59 Corvette, 30 Model A, etc...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Neighbor taught me a trick that works with Christmas/patio lights and squirrels... Before they put up the lights they spray the open box with Raid. and let it dry. The result is it still tastes is awful and they wont chew them up. Not sure if that's an engine solution for those who may have potential engine bay varmint issues.

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Friend of mine had a Mini that would not start one day, the mouse nested under the hood, warm and dry in a minnesota winter.
Sponsored