Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been driving four decades. Never had an issue noticing all red taillight groups vs. those with amber turn signals. Like KenC said, some of the LEDs can dazzle and leave trails.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was in a body shop getting a quote on my Escape's 3rd world paint job a couple weeks ago and there was a kid in there getting a quote on some front end damage on a new Mustang. I watched him damn near shit his pants when they came back with "well, it's $1200 just for the headlight and housing..."
o_O o_O o_O
One advantage of having a popular vehicle though is that you can typically get used takeoffs or aftermarkets for a fraction of the price when its not the insurance paying.

For around $400 I put fancy LED switchback sequential turn signals on my truck rather than replace the aging factory quads.

That's one of the huge pros of the Maverick over the Santa Cruz, as I think the Mav will massively outsell it, and thus probably have more cheap used and aftermarket options for parts.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Wait until you see the sticker price to replace the LED lights.....last LED light I had to replace was 1200.00 before labor...................................
Is that the COMPLETE unit or just the LED itself? I knew the complete unit was pricey.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Been driving four decades. Never had an issue noticing all red taillight groups vs. those with amber turn signals. Like KenC said, some of the LEDs can dazzle and leave trails.
Eat more carrots ;) (carrot eating was a ruse so the nazis did not figure out that radar was driving the interception of airborne attacks but they claimed it was pilots eating carrots silly nazis)

Sponsored

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Who uses turn signals? I have (3) brake lights, if they can't see one of them, then they need to get off the road.
You’re the worst kind of driver.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My issue is with LED lights/brake lights, especially in Cadillacs. My eyes see tracers as if I'm on acid. No, I'm not on acid!
There's a weird phenomenon with controlling LED lights where flashing them at certain rates causes them to be perceived as brighter. Not only is duty cycle control a common way to dim / brighten perception of LEDs, but the method actually makes people see them as brighter than solid on. So you may notice LED vehicle lights that appear to flash and dance around. I notice a lot on Mercedes LED DRLs in my rearview mirror. It almost looks like the lights are jumping around a bit as we're moving down the road.

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/home/article/16698062/pulsedriven-leds-have-higher-apparent-brightness

You'll notice a lot when cars are filmed that the LED lights may flicker because the duty cycle of the LEDs doesn't match up with the frame rate of the camera. From a design view, it's a win-win because you get to use less power for the lights and they appear brighter, but some people may notice weird artifacts.

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that the COMPLETE unit or just the LED itself? I knew the complete unit was pricey.
A lot of these the complete unit must be replaced.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One advantage of having a popular vehicle though is that you can typically get used takeoffs or aftermarkets for a fraction of the price when its not the insurance paying.

For around $400 I put fancy LED switchback sequential turn signals on my truck rather than replace the aging factory quads.

That's one of the huge pros of the Maverick over the Santa Cruz, as I think the Mav will massively outsell it, and thus probably have more cheap used and aftermarket options for parts.
Based on the size proportion of the tail lights, I think the lights themselves are already borrowed from another truck. They look huge to me. So we may not even need the Maverick to sell to go diving in the parts bins.

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's called "PAY ATTENTION TO THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU" There are THREE brake lights on every vehicle compared to ONE turn signal. If people wasn't so distracted these days - then this wouldn't be a conversation. Remember vehicles started out with NO TURN SIGNALS at all - you held your hand out the window.

Sponsored

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
It's called "PAY ATTENTION TO THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU" There are THREE brake lights on every vehicle compared to ONE turn signal. If people wasn't so distracted these days - then this wouldn't be a conversation. Remember vehicles started out with NO TURN SIGNALS at all - you held your hand out the window.
Use your turn signal. It’s not too hard. You’ll get the hang of it.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hand signals are fine, you didn't mention you were using those.
Otherwise, turn signals are as important to signal intentions (to turn or change lanes) as brake lights are that you're slowing/stopping.

Driving 101

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree red turn signals are confusing. I have had many times when I couldn't tell exactly what I was seeing - mostly because people often have brake lights that are out on one side so sometimes I initially think it's a brake light. Seems dumb to have them the same color and they are a little more difficult to tell in sunlight sometimes - they aren't red in the front so they all should be amber.

I know some old trucks with red blinkers had long delays on them too which was confusing. I'm old though so I'm talking 70's here.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Say that! I hate a mofo that don't use their blinkers. I do prefer the amber over red, just because they do tend to catch your attention better than the red.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are male, ever been checked for red green colour blindness? What you describe is fairly common in those with it
Exactly my first thought. My father had red/green deficiencies, as does my son, a nephew, and a great-nephew. It's a conversation in my family.
Sponsored