First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a base stock XL hybrid and for the life of me I cant see any way in it's stock condition to recover, extract or pull rearward this vehicle with a simple fabric strap. The only thing I can see would be to run one strap through the rolled down rear windows and attach a second . .. Kidding. I finally found the frame member under the tailgate. It's black to look like plastic, unlike the rest of the frame that is grey . . . .. . . A simple eye hook or similar wont work drilled through and attached pointing up, the tailgate will hit it. Anticipating a potential mild stuck situation in snow, I want to secure an attachment point to at least hook up a tow strap to pull the vehicle out with. Not wanting a trailer hitch, tow set up, etc. Trying to find what others have done. I am looking at an attachment point for very gentle throttle out from a neighbor in case the vehicle gets stopped and spins going up a 400 ft, 5% incline snow ice driveway.

My other FWD vehicles all have a factory hook underneath, presumably to secure the vehicle during transport. - thanks
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last edited:
OP
OP
MayhemMaverick

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks Hot R. Its been raining here for weeks and I was reluctant to get down and get a good look. Upon close inspection, it is apparent that the hitch cover plate is removable. The bottom screws on my vehicle look like badly stripped Torx . . .. .. . The upper tab attachment is unclear at first glance. How easy and non invasive is this removal ? Thanks

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
MayhemMaverick

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can a Mod move this to the above overland recovery subforum ? - thanks !!

Otay. Must be nice having a shop or lift instead of crawling underneath and wrenching vertebrae out of alignment.. The two fasteners on the bottom are rivets. I gather I drill those out and replace with a screw or nut and bolt. After much old person BS and cursing (LOLZ) with the iPhone camera, it is evident that the remaining attachment points are snap tabs. My wife ended up with this vehicle as her DD after the 53 week wait, so I proceed under the weight and fear of the almighty if visible damage results . .. .

In case one goes this route, there are folds in the metal cross frame bar here which make an easy 3-inch strap unworkable without more dumbfookery. Next thread update from a frozen hayfield track road at 5,000 ft elevation in the Idaho mountains at 8 deg F. Happy crawling !!

Out looking to verify I know where the traction control is so I can turn that off if I need wheel spin . . .. . .

Edit: Pan I read your link. It states not to use hooks on the holes . ??? Huh ? Liability escape out for Ford for when a Subaru owner gets piked by a air borne snapped Harbor freight hook ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

respi133

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It states not to use hooks on the holes . ??? Huh ? Liability escape out for Ford for when a Subaru owner gets piked by a air borne snapped Harbor freight hook ?
"do not apply a load to the winching holes or recovery hooks that is greater than the gross vehicle weight rating of your vehicle"

OP
OP
MayhemMaverick

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Resp, the second bullet under the text paragraph states " do not use with metal hook ends"

After considering this I suspect Ford may say this regarding the use to tow something, as opposed to winching it out. A short term winch out in theory would be watched and attended constantly until recovery is made. The hooks could easily detach and drop out, which would be a disaster if towing a vehicle at speed. If there were hooks up front, there would likely be more complaining about the looks than welcoming them for their intended use.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe someone could get pictures of how the Maverick is strapped down during rail & truck transport to show the points that were used.
Sponsored