First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm looking for a strap to help people out in the snow.
I've got a decent amount of experience driving in the snow in my subaru and I always go out driving around for fun when the weather is at its worst. Now that I have a pickup truck I'd like to add a recovery strap to my tools but I've never used one or bought one before.
Anyone have some advice about purchasing and using a strap for this purpose?
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got a decent amount of experience driving in the snow in my subaru and I always go out driving around for fun when the weather is at its worst. Now that I have a pickup truck I'd like to add a recovery strap to my tools but I've never used one or bought one before.
3333# ratcheting strap. Two of them. They have hooks on both ends and are easy to adjust the length. 10 bucks a pop at Home Depot for some really long ones.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the RhinoUSA stuff myself but there are lots of options out there - even if just browsing the Rhino site for ideas. Available on Amazon too.

https://www.rhinousainc.com/

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As a Wrangler owner for 30+ years I can say they do work. Not as well as a winch but they can be used in a pinch. Depending on how "stuck" they are is how much stress you put on your truck. Ive pulled out folks easily from a "no traction" situation and also seen folks rip parts off their Jeep or truck yanking someone that is REALLY stuck. The nylon ones create somewhat of a rubber band effect as you pull on them creating less "yank" as a steel cable or rope. Main thing is discretion - if it is going to take a great deal of force to pull something out, up, down, around ..... then you have to ask yourself if it is worth damaging your truck or transmission pulling someone out that really needs a tow truck or vehicle with a strong winch. My 86 Toyota 4x4 has pulled many folks out with a strap and I had to replace the bumper once when I tried pulling a Full size Dodge that had gotten a bit buried . Also once I saw a friend try to yank a Jeep with his Chevy, the strap broke and shot back and broke out his rear window LOL -

OP
OP

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a Wrangler owner for 30+ years I can say they do work. Not as well as a winch but they can be used in a pinch. Depending on how "stuck" they are is how much stress you put on your truck. Ive pulled out folks easily from a "no traction" situation and also seen folks rip parts off their Jeep or truck yanking someone that is REALLY stuck. The nylon ones create somewhat of a rubber band effect as you pull on them creating less "yank" as a steel cable or rope. Main thing is discretion - if it is going to take a great deal of force to pull something out, up, down, around ..... then you have to ask yourself if it is worth damaging your truck or transmission pulling someone out that really needs a tow truck or vehicle with a strong winch. My 86 Toyota 4x4 has pulled many folks out with a strap and I had to replace the bumper once when I tried pulling a Full size Dodge that had gotten a bit buried . Also once I saw a friend try to yank a Jeep with his Chevy, the strap broke and shot back and broke out his rear window LOL -
Discretion is the perfect word. I'm a pretty cautious person in general so I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy. I'm thinking about cars that just can't get enough traction to climb a hill, not cars that are half rolled into a ditch or unable to move themselves at all. Additionally it's never bad to have some gear in case I'm stuck and convince a stranger to try to get me out.
Snow is pretty rare in the Portland OR area, but we have a lot of steep hills and our road crews are severely under equipped. Usually the city just goes to sleep for a week while we wait for the ice to go away. Meanwhile I love to drive past road closure signs and find sightseeing opportunities.
Damage to the truck/drivetrain is definitely a concern I'll be thinking about.
Thanks for the advice

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3333# ratcheting strap. Two of them. They have hooks on both ends and are easy to adjust the length. 10 bucks a pop at Home Depot for some really long ones.
I'll definitely be picking up some of those to tie down camping gear into my bed, not sure if I'd trust them for snow recovery though. Is that something you've done with yours?

OP
OP

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the RhinoUSA stuff myself but there are lots of options out there - even if just browsing the Rhino site for ideas. Available on Amazon too.

https://www.rhinousainc.com/
These are what I am looking at for sure.
Was thinking of getting a strap, and a couple of d-rings as a combo, but Amazon seems to sell them for cheaper separately?
Also I don't have a hitch yet, I saw people use just the strap into the Reciever and a pin to secure it. Any experience doing that @Redneck Garage?
Definitely a cheaper option than the special 40$ Reciever d-ring thing they sell. It looks like a waste of money for me.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

These are what I am looking at for sure.
Was thinking of getting a strap, and a couple of d-rings as a combo, but Amazon seems to sell them for cheaper separately?
Also I don't have a hitch yet, I saw people use just the strap into the Reciever and a pin to secure it. Any experience doing that @Redneck Garage?
Definitely a cheaper option than the special 40$ Reciever d-ring thing they sell. It looks like a waste of money for me.
He's in the receiver is fine as long as you don't try to pull too much with it LOL

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll definitely be picking up some of those to tie down camping gear into my bed, not sure if I'd trust them for snow recovery though. Is that something you've done with yours?
No, but they do hold down my Tractor well...........4*3333 is alot of weight.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We just snapped a chain like it was nothing......

Sponsored

MayhemMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t recall who made it, but I had heavy duty yellow strap with loops on both ends (no metal hooks that could slip off and slingshot through a windshield or take you head off. Used it numerous times to get people out of buried lies in sand and mud. Cool thing about the strap was that once you stretched it, it would recoil back to add pulling power 😎 My son has it now in his big truck.
Sponsored