Sponsored

Problems screwing in M8 bolts in the predrilled holes for bedrail (with spray-in bedliner applied)?

pipecreek

First Name
Pipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Anyone having problems screwing in the M8 bolts in the predrilled M8 holes for the bedrail? Ford has 4-predrilled M8 holes on each side of the bed making 8 total M8 holes. Seems when they sprayed on the bedliner, the M8 bolts do not go in. Don't want to ruin the predrilled holes by forcing anything else in there. If you have had the issue with a fix, please share.

Thanks
Pipe
Sponsored

bagman51

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer XLT 2011 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone having problems screwing in the M8 bolts in the predrilled M8 holes for the bedrail? Ford has 4-predrilled M8 holes on each side of the bed making 8 total M8 holes. Seems when they sprayed on the bedliner, the M8 bolts do not go in. Don't want to ruin the predrilled holes by forcing anything else in there. If you have had the issue with a fix, please share.

Thanks
Pipe
Run the correct size thread tap in the holes to clean out debris?

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh boy. I'd take it back and tell them to deal with their mess.

Matchstick08

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Run the correct size thread tap in the holes to clean out debris?
A thread chaser would be more appropriate. Reduces the risk of double cutting threads if you don't have a good lead in catch.

Edit - it's easy to make your own thread chaser cutting slits into an extra M8 bolt. I imagine it would work just fine clearing bedliner out of a threaded hole.

OP
OP

pipecreek

First Name
Pipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
A thread chaser would be more appropriate. Reduces the risk of double cutting threads if you don't have a good lead in catch.

Edit - it's easy to make your own thread chaser cutting slits into an extra M8 bolt. I imagine it would work just fine clearing bedliner out of a threaded hole.
Great ideas... will keep you posted. Gonna try the chaser to keep thread integrity.
Thanks again..

Pipe

Sponsored

OP
OP

pipecreek

First Name
Pipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Great ideas... will keep you posted. Gonna try the chaser to keep thread integrity.
Thanks again..

Pipe
All,
Finally got the M8 bolts to work. They are metric and had to use a Tap that I ordered from Amazon. The bedliner crud was impeding the bolts so the Tap worked perfect. Thanks for everyone's responses and ideas.

Frechi

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have a link for the M8 tap you used? I’m having the same problem

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don’t have the correct tap and are a firearm owner with a .22 round brass brush that goes on a cleaning rod, you can chuck it in a drill and clean out the hole without hurting it.

Good luck

Mr Perfect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cobalt, Traverse
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don’t have the correct tap and are a firearm owner with a .22 round brass brush that goes on a cleaning rod, you can chuck it in a drill and clean out the hole without hurting it.

Good luck

I tried using a .22 round brass brush and it was completely ineffective. I ended up using a tap and just being careful not to cross thread it.

Frechi

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was able to use a tap which cleaned out the threads nicely.

I finished up my DIY rails and dividers :)

Ford Maverick Problems screwing in M8 bolts in the predrilled holes for bedrail (with spray-in bedliner applied)? 6BA77CC6-BF0B-481D-BE72-6FA62E00205D

Ford Maverick Problems screwing in M8 bolts in the predrilled holes for bedrail (with spray-in bedliner applied)? BC397C7D-DC35-47ED-A088-B9E31CE0BBBC

Sponsored

OB1e

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG LUX XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What length m8's did u use?

Frechi

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What length m8's did u use?
I bought these from auto zone . I bought two packs but in all honesty you can just put two on each side instead of three (with washers).

Ford Maverick Problems screwing in M8 bolts in the predrilled holes for bedrail (with spray-in bedliner applied)? B0B67D9F-AF69-4F0B-B387-A7FD6842338C

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks
Pipe
Warm up a self tapping bolt or a thread forming bolt and gently screw it in.

Rogerswm

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick - Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did what TimothyD did. Here is my tale. Had the ford dealership in Woodbridge VA add a spray in bed liner to the Lariat I purchased. Explicitly told him to protect the holes in the bed specifically emphasizing the drain holes and cargo rail system holes. Told me they would. Picked up the new truck and waited for rail and divider system to arrive. About a month later they arrived and I’m thinking this should take about an hour max. Got my T-30 and started the install. First 2 bolts working from front to back on drivers side went in tough but I got them in. Bolt closest to tailgate went halfway in, got stuck and I was afraid to back it off. So I moved to the other side. Figured I’d work the bolt in and out before beginning to secure the rail system on that side. Well that one got stuck. Called ford place and they said nothing we can do even though they were supposed to tell the bed installer to plug the holes. Next day I went to Home Depot and got a couple M8 bolts. I got my propane torch and heated the stuck bolts, careful like as not to melt the liner. Then I used a breaker bar . That didn’t work well so I got my vice grips and locked on. Wiggled to the left/right then up/down. Applied more heat and used breaker bar carefully. Able to remove stuck bolts. Then I heated the Home Depot bolts and screwed them in and out to melt the bed liner gunk in the threads. Did this to every hole. Then took the kit bolts and lubed them with grease and they all went in like butter. The divider kit was a bit of a pain to put in after rails but trick was pushing down with entire body weight once aligned. Good luck
Sponsored