Sponsored

Poor mans "4wd" via ForScan / coding?

Charmeiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F150 XLT 4.6L
What if you could hack the computer/module that controls terrain modes to add a bootleg "4wdj tgat spins all the tires at once to give it that extra boost. Add on the Ranger lift kit (the bronco, maverick and ranger are all on the same chasis) and some Goodyear off road tires and you have an a poor man's 4wd on an affordable truck.

Granted this would almost definitely void the warranty, but to my knowledge. But to my knowledge all of this is stored on a module, correct? Need to get something fixed at the dealership? Swap out the module it came with and keep two different modules. (Could be wrong)
Sponsored

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What if you could hack the computer/module that controls terrain modes to add a bootleg "4wdj tgat spins all the tires at once to give it that extra boost. Add on the Ranger lift kit (the bronco, maverick and ranger are all on the same chasis) and some Goodyear off road tires and you have an a poor man's 4wd on an affordable truck.

Granted this would almost definitely void the warranty, but to my knowledge. But to my knowledge all of this is stored on a module, correct? Need to get something fixed at the dealership? Swap out the module it came with and keep two different modules. (Could be wrong)
I'm pretty sure the Maverick uses the same chassis as the bronco sport and the escape. Not the Ranger.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm pretty sure the Maverick uses the same chassis as the bronco sport and the escape. Not the Ranger.
This is correct. Ranger is a traditional body on frame while the mav is unibody - a totally different platform.

Also, what charmeiser is talking about requires either a locking diff or at least a dual clutch diff. The hardware just isn't there on the maverick. The way the AWD works is by selectively braking wheels that are spinning faster, not by supplying more power to the ones that aren't. If you watch videos of hard core rock hoppers with true 4wd, the wheels behave totally differently than what AWD vehicles do when slipping on mud, etc..

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I'm sure with a ton of work and money you could swap over a 4x4 system from the Bronco Sport. It would defeat the purpose of a "poor mans 4wd" though..

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure with a ton of work and money you could swap over a 4x4 system from the Bronco Sport. It would defeat the purpose of a "poor mans 4wd" though..
Agreed, this is one of my those old as time questions with conversions, swaps, etc. The real answer is if your thinking about making an off-road beast, start with a platform that can support it to begin with. Jeep, Ranger, Raptor, etc.

By the time you spend all of that money on a Maverick, it will likely exceed the cost of a Ranger not to mention return worse gas mileage and now have questionable reliability because everything has to be hacked in at least to some extent.

If your a fabrication shop and have money to blow, sure it would be cool to build up a Maverick to be an off-road beast but those shops donā€™t mind spending the dollars because theyā€™ll get revenue back elsewhere to cover it. The average Joe it rarely works out without overspending or many challenges along the way in my opinion.

Sponsored

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you had the money to make this Poor Manā€™s version, you wouldnā€™t be a poor man until you paid for all the design changes.šŸ˜³

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Youā€™d be better off just trying to swap to the dual clutch drive thatā€™s in the Bronco Sport and taking the single clutch out of the Maverick

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's no hiding reprogramming from the mfrs anymore, flashing or modules. The systems record everything and when a dealer plugs in they'll see any changes and/or change back to stock.
If you fart on the seat they can tell if it was Taco Bell or White Castles.