Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In northern Iowa, I've been driving mostly city miles all winter. It has been cold, snowy, colder, and snowier. I'm getting 21 mpg. In the summer, when I was driving more hwy miles, I was averaging 30 mpg. As stated here, you should expect significantly worse milage this time of year.
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a fwd 2.0 eco back in November while still waiting on my hybrid order. I had read many forms from others that have the same base xlt that were getting mid 30s going 75-80 mpg on the highway. Iā€™ve got 5000 miles on mine now and am very disappointed in it. Iā€™m only averaging 28 and thatā€™s on a good day. If there is even the slightest wind itā€™s down to around 22. My commute is 100 miles total and all highway. I keep my cruise set at 72 and in eco mode and havenā€™t seen anywhere close to 30s. Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions on how to improve this. If I canā€™t get the mpgs up Iā€™ll be looking for a new vehicle unfortunately. Thanks
I'm sorry to hear that your truck is not performing as you expected it. It is performing within EPA estimates. Hopefully your hybrid arrives soon. My hybrid performs within EPA estimates, too.

Also, speed ruins MPG. Wanna get the best possible gas mileage, get in the right lane, set the cruise to 55 and turn on a podcast

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a fwd 2.0 eco back in November while still waiting on my hybrid order. I had read many forms from others that have the same base xlt that were getting mid 30s going 75-80 mpg on the highway. Iā€™ve got 5000 miles on mine now and am very disappointed in it. Iā€™m only averaging 28 and thatā€™s on a good day. If there is even the slightest wind itā€™s down to around 22. My commute is 100 miles total and all highway. I keep my cruise set at 72 and in eco mode and havenā€™t seen anywhere close to 30s. Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions on how to improve this. If I canā€™t get the mpgs up Iā€™ll be looking for a new vehicle unfortunately. Thanks
Normal. A truck with a gasoline engine, shaped like a brick, going through the wind at 75-80 mph.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I meant just coasting or drifting downhill in Drive.
Yep, that's what I was describing. Normal drive mode, foot off the gas, speeds generally between 30 - 50. The Mav gear selects & engine brakes very well on it's own. šŸ¤ 

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Given the number of variables it is basically pointless to compare mpg numbers with other individuals. The same vehicle driven the same route could be drastically different driven by two different people. Then add in things like fuel octane, temperature, wind resistance, etc. and you can have fairly large ranges. I have noticed most of the high mpg claims come from warm climates with flat terrain. And of course there will always be some hybrid owner that comes in to give their downhill mpg number for a 5 mile trip.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Given the number of variables it is basically pointless to compare mpg numbers with other individuals. The same vehicle driven the same route could be drastically different driven by two different people. Then add in things like fuel octane, temperature, wind resistance, etc. and you can have fairly large ranges. I have noticed most of the high mpg claims come from warm climates with flat terrain. And of course there will always be some hybrid owner that comes in to give their downhill mpg number for a 5 mile trip.
When does winter temperature MPG begin?
It must be lower than 43Ā°F.
Flat terrain. Cold(ish) Engine.
Some coasting, yes, but only to red lights. No hills involved on my daily grind.

Ford Maverick Poor fuel mileage E72C9BBE-315E-4292-8531-3D8EEABFC6E6

(You did ask for it.). šŸ˜‰

Hybrid Nut

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cold weather is really hard on mileage on these Mavericks it seems. I have the Hybrid and this morning only got 28 mpg on interstate drive to work. But is was neg 4 degrees out. It gets much better mileage when weather warms up.

Bulldog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid, 2019 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It has been a little over 2 weeks since last filled up my Hybrid. ~40 miles a day round trip to work. Local driving on weekends. Temps on some morning are cold (20-30 degrees F) and I let the truck run for 5+ minutes to warm up on most mornings. This tank I have tried my best to stay out of the throttle. Best mileage so far for me. Temping fate to run down as close to 5 miles till empty.
Ford Maverick Poor fuel mileage image000001

Ragtime Billy Peaches

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 Crew Diesel 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When does winter temperature MPG begin?
It must be lower than 43Ā°F.
Flat terrain. Cold(ish) Engine.
Some coasting, yes, but only to red lights. No hills involved on my daily grind.

E72C9BBE-315E-4292-8531-3D8EEABFC6E6.jpeg

(You did ask for it.). šŸ˜‰
Most people will have a Bible Verse or favorite quote on their Tombstone,,, We all know what will be on yours.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most people will have a Bible Verse or favorite quote on their Tombstone,,, We all know what will be on yours.
"His MPG could not be beat. But death itself he could not cheat."

Sponsored

Ragtime Billy Peaches

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 Crew Diesel 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"His MPG could not be beat. But death itself he could not cheat."
Amen to that Bro,,, but pay more attention to the road in front of you instead of staring at your MPG on the dash. I'm in California also and i don't want you rear ending me in my Maverick, seems they are magnets for rear enders!

Last edited:

chaznw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL BLUE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What kind of climate are you in. Those are numbers I was expecting with my fwd and have yet to see lol
In live in the Northwest. The average temp in the winter is in the 40's. I switch to ECO mode most of the time. Also, I am easy on the accelerator.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
CHECK YOUR TRACTION MODE!!!

I drive in eco and normal mode and was getting great mileage in my hybrid. I was going 65-80 on the highway and getting mid 40's for mpg during a 2500-mile trip. When I got home in April 2022, I took it to a dealer for an oil change. My mpg's dropped to the mid 30's. The dealer said it was the difference in summer VS winter gas, another said I needed to get tier 1 gas. No matter what gas I bought... no difference. A couple of weeks ago I was playing with the knobs and saw it was in a traction mode(not the same as the eco, normal mode etc) Now almost a year and 13,000 miles later I am back to getting mid 40MPG on the highway, and low 50mpg in town.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Instead of mpg pictures, us Ecoboost owners could post smiles per gallon or the sound of our (tiny) turbos on our tombstones.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lol, ok.

Try this: set your cruise to 64 mph. Should get you up to 30+ mpg.

Of course, your drive time will go up by about 4 minutes.

Sponsored