R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just wanted to share my paint job of my rims on my CG XL. I used plasti dip, like many others, and it did an amazing job. Looks like it was supposed to come this way.
Ford Maverick Painted (plasti-dip) stock XL rims 1711632988042-6h

I preferred the look of the lug nuts, so instead of painting the center caps, I printed these from thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6094312

While painting the rims, I noticed that the back side of the rim is black and that the silver color is just painted over that. I don’t see why ford doesn’t offer the option of leaving the rims black. In my opinion, the black rims really look good with a lot of the paint options. I really love the matte black of the plasti dip. It looks like it matches the plastic trim really well.
Thanks to all those that posted about plasti dip and how you painted your rims. It really inspired me to change mine.
Sponsored

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you post some more close ups?

MobnMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Buddha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just wanted to share my paint job of my rims on my CG XL. I used plasti dip, like many others, and it did an amazing job. Looks like it was supposed to come this way.
1711632988042-6h.jpg

I preferred the look of the lug nuts, so instead of painting the center caps, I printed these from thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6094312

While painting the rims, I noticed that the back side of the rim is black and that the silver color is just painted over that. I don’t see why ford doesn’t offer the option of leaving the rims black. In my opinion, the black rims really look good with a lot of the paint options. I really love the matte black of the plasti dip. It looks like it matches the plastic trim really well.
Thanks to all those that posted about plasti dip and how you painted your rims. It really inspired me to change mine.
Looks good! I went with black steelies, powdercoated though. And got interceptor caps courtesy of a buddy at the CHP. I agree that Ford should offer the steelies in black. Does look good on many of the color schemes.

Ford Maverick Painted (plasti-dip) stock XL rims 0109231448a_HDR

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Looks good! I went with black steelies, powdercoated though. And got interceptor caps courtesy of a buddy at the CHP. I agree that Ford should offer the steelies in black. Does look good on many of the color schemes.

0109231448a_HDR.jpg
I have seen the rims like that (maybe on your truck) in forum pictures. I think it looks really good. I was going to plasti dip the stock center caps, but liked the contrast of the lug nuts better. I also tried just the stick center caps but decided I liked this look best.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Close ups

Ford Maverick Painted (plasti-dip) stock XL rims IMG_7650

Ford Maverick Painted (plasti-dip) stock XL rims IMG_7651

Dandy Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks really nice. I like that black lug nut thing a ma jigger too!

Kagiso

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good job. I like. That's something I'd like to do in the future. Might your printed center cap be made available for purchase? I've imagined visible lugs nuts, but black (if they're to be found). But I like the contrasts you've created. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good job. I like. That's something I'd like to do in the future. Might your printed center cap be made available for purchase? I've imagined visible lugs nuts, but black (if they're to be found). But I like the contrasts you've created. Thanks for sharing!
File is on thingiverse. I would check your local libraries to see if they have 3D printers. Probably only cost a few bucks each to have printed. It is not my design.

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Plasti-dip is great stuff. A friend uses it on his painted front bumpers on his F-150 every winter pounding the Interstate to protect against sandblasting. Applies it super thick and peels it off in the spring.

I blacked out my last Ranger with it. Grille and bumpers right over the chrome. Wheels too. Stays looking good for a long time.

Bought some in white and sprayed the tops of the beams of a Pergola to protect the paint. Worked like a charm.

When I started buying it, it was 4 bucks a can. I can't imagine what it costs now. :whistle:

Last edited:

Kagiso

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
File is on thingiverse. I would check your local libraries to see if they have 3D printers. Probably only cost a few bucks each to have printed. It is not my design.
Got it. Thanks!

Lane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XL, 2006 VW Jetta Smyth UTE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've used Plasti-dip for a bunch of things over the years with great results, but have not done it on wheels. Dismounting/mounting tires, where the edge of the tire scrapes & pulls over the rim's edge... that doesn't ruin its finish on the lip of the rim?

Montauk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2023 F-150 Rattler pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great Richard. Was that matte black plastidip?

I have a set of those caps ready for mine. Just shipped but it’s still south of the border.

hybrid xl cp360 hitch.

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like what you did. I think that closed end lug nuts would look much better on your set up.
Sponsored