First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Duck tape and chewing gum should hold it together for the next few months.
Lol, ‘99Mustang, look what the government funded car maker did to a Cadillac owner. 1) they had a court case settled in Fl for known headlights failure (2010-2014 SRX). MO also sued but GM gave us only 30 days to....PAY UPFRONT $1600 and then reimburse later. (Buddy has same car and took 10 months to get refunded) 2) another known GM failure....the seals on windshield and sunroof fails. No recall. Quoted $875 to repair. I am getting wet now after rain and using brights to illuminate. Not putting in another dime to their faulty car.
Sponsored

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
Lol, ‘99Mustang, look what the government funded car maker did to a Cadillac owner. 1) they had a court case settled in Fl for known headlights failure (2010-2014 SRX). MO also sued but GM gave us only 30 days to....PAY UPFRONT $1600 and then reimburse later. (Buddy has same car and took 10 months to get refunded) 2) another known GM failure....the seals on windshield and sunroof fails. No recall. Quoted $875 to repair. I am getting wet now after rain and using brights to illuminate. Not putting in another dime to their faulty car.
Hang in there buddy, Maverick production starts in July. My friends had a GMC with all kinds of issues after 60K miles and got rid of it.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
It could be worse, you could be driving an Aztec. Or for that matter, pretty much any Pontiac.

Ctred31907

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas Fit @ Civic Hatchback
Please Ford! Save me with the Ford Maverick! I miss my 1979 Ford Courier 4x4! Make the Maverick affordable! Honda is out priced my need for a compact pickup!

Reactions: Doc

Ctred31907

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas Fit @ Civic Hatchback
It could be worse, you could be driving an Aztec. Or for that matter, pretty much any Pontiac.
I owned that POS Aztec and regret it because it sissored my daughters fingers as she clumsily tried to find the buttons to adjust the front seat. I also had the problem of the front brakes shake off as I drove it over dirt roads with ridges. I had to walk back and pick up the retaining bolts and put it back on repeatedly. Stay off dirt roads??

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I'm looking to trade in a 2017 car that I'm financing...if I use xplan am I gonna get ripped in my trade in valuation since I'm taking out all the haggle room?

OP
OP
Spartan_J

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking to trade in a 2017 car that I'm financing...if I use xplan am I gonna get ripped in my trade in valuation since I'm taking out all the haggle room?
Always treat them as 2 separate transactions. 1) You are buying car from them. 2) You are selling them a car. Sales folk always ask if you are trading something in up front. I always tell them that I have not decided and will make that decision after I decide if I'm purchasing a new vehicle.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Always treat them as 2 separate transactions. 1) You are buying car from them. 2) You are selling them a car. Sales folk always ask if you are trading something in up front. I always tell them that I have not decided and will make that decision after I decide if I'm purchasing a new vehicle.

I was thinking of going the direct approach and saying " here is a list of what I want, I have my X plan pricing, I just wanna know who can give me the best deal for my trade in"

And emailing that to a bunch of dealers, but you're right that it's be closing myself off from any other deals

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking of going the direct approach and saying " here is a list of what I want, I have my X plan pricing, I just wanna know who can give me the best deal for my trade in"

And emailing that to a bunch of dealers, but you're right that it's be closing myself off from any other deals
Plus, without seeing and driving your trade in, they may not give you a valuation via email. And if they do, they could always renegotiate it when you show up at the dealership with it, any little thing and I bet they'll look to lower the value.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
have you guys ever heard of - or experienced- the "4 Square" method when negotiating at a dealer? Please read this article I'm linking here! With people talking about trade ins, what your comfortable paying, etc. you need to recognize and avoid this trick! I experienced it when I was younger and didn't realize what my bargaining power was (and I wasn't making very much $ either so drove lots of beaters and fixxers). Luckily I had a good friend who grew up in car sales business and had family members working as mangers locally who clued me in about 4 square and other tactics. Hope this helps some people here with their purchases ;)

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...ff-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/

Sponsored

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just received an asinine amount of money from Carvana by selling Wifey's Jetta (instead of trading it in on the Bronco Sport Badlands...)

They gave me an additional $400 just to drive it over (here in Houston) in lieu of picking it up in my driveway...

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
have you guys ever heard of - or experienced- the "4 Square" method when negotiating at a dealer? Please read this article I'm linking here! With people talking about trade ins, what your comfortable paying, etc. you need to recognize and avoid this trick! I experienced it when I was younger and didn't realize what my bargaining power was (and I wasn't making very much $ either so drove lots of beaters and fixxers). Luckily I had a good friend who grew up in car sales business and had family members working as mangers locally who clued me in about 4 square and other tactics. Hope this helps some people here with their purchases ;)

https://www.consumerreports.org/con...ff-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/
We used to do this exact same dance, and honestly, this article explained it better than the actual training I received when i was hired on at the dealership! Maybe, if i had read this when I first got the job I would've done better, and still be there working you guys over 😆

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota

Haha! I've had those used on me before. First thing I did was rip it in 4 pieces and started with cost of new vehicle square and handed it to the salesperson. No joke, they didn't have scissors, so I improvised and ripped instead. The look on their face was great. I stated they don't get to move to the next square until we can meet a fair agreement on the initial square. Once that was figured out, I handed them the trade square. Figured that out. The down payment and monthly payment amount squares was not utilized because I had my own financing lined up and knew where the numbers should be. If I wanted a slightly higher payment and money in the bank, I would put less down, and vise-versa. Rate was always cheaper directly through the local credit union, unless it was 0 or 0.9% APR manufacturer promotion. These days they try to sell you 84+ months loans, holy crap! I always try for between 36-60 months. I also tell them not to even think about trying to sell me anything in the 'finance department' like extended warranties, carpet protection, paint protection, yeah, none of that crap or the deal is off. I am a well informed buyer and they get the hint pretty much initially. Waste my time and I will waste theirs.

Last edited:

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Possibly good chip news: my Friend works for GM plant in MO, they have 29,750 new mid size trucks parked, waiting for chips. They just called him back because a load of chips just came in yesterday.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The used car market is nuts right now. Checked Kelly Blue Book on my 2017 Subaru Impreza value and both trade and private party values are $3k to $4k higher than about 6 weeks ago! I hope this holds up until the Maverick is finally available. Having said that, I still need to find out if my wife and I like how it drives. I was wild about a car back and. The 90s until I found out the center console dug into the side of my leg.
Sponsored