First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go look at your dipstick, like Bad Actor said above. If not milky on dipstick you are good. You could check coolant and see if it is milky. Can leak both ways.
Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got oil change today... The tech showed me the cap and it looks like this. Anyone know why?

IMG_20221123_175410690.jpg
A Ford tech? He just showed it to you and gave no explanation? Lousy tech. Short tripping. Stop the short tripping.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A Ford tech? He just showed it to you and gave no explanation? Lousy tech. Short tripping. Stop the short tripping.
Nah... It was an oil change tech. He recommended having dealer check it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A catch can collects blow by in the crankcase ventilation system.
Right, are you suggesting that this is caused by blow back?

I do not think that's what we have here and I don't think that a catch can would do any good. What I see in catch cans looks like oil and black carbon stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think that catch cans are recommended for the 2.5 drivetrain. The purpose of the catch can is to capture blowback particulates that make their way into the air intake in order to reduce carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. (The intake valves of modern cars have been subject to carbon buildup since the introduction of direct injection.)
This is not as much a concern with Atkinson cycle engines for a couple of reasons:
1. Intake valves remain open during a portion of the compression stroke. This means that fresh gasoline does already touch (and clean) the backs of the intake valves.
2. When though the technical compression ratio is listed at 13:1, the actual compression ratio is much smaller, therefore there is less potential for blowback in the first place.
🤷‍♂️
Has anyone actually put a catch can on the hybrid?

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right, are you suggesting that this is caused by blow back?

I do not think that's what we have here and I don't think that a catch can would do any good. What I see in catch cans looks like oil and black carbon stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think that catch cans are recommended for the 2.5 drivetrain. The purpose of the catch can is to capture blowback particulates that make their way into the air intake in order to reduce carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves. (The intake valves of modern cars have been subject to carbon buildup since the introduction of direct injection.)
This is not as much a concern with Atkinson cycle engines for a couple of reasons:
1. Intake valves remain open during a portion of the compression stroke. This means that fresh gasoline does already touch (and clean) the backs of the intake valves.
2. When though the technical compression ratio is listed at 13:1, the actual compression ratio is much smaller, therefore there is less potential for blowback in the first place.
🤷‍♂️
Has anyone actually put a catch can on the hybrid?
A catch can on the MAV hybrid is as useless as teats on a bull.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A catch can on the MAV hybrid is as useless as teats on a bull.
Are you implying we should put truck balls on it instead?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you implying we should put truck balls on it instead?
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying. Except since it's a hybrid perhaps you should put one of those pussy hats on it. :ROFLMAO:

And I wasn't saying the issue was caused by blowback, just pointing out that a catch can doesn't provide ventilation, it just removes oil and carbon from the existing ventilation system.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, that's exactly what he's saying. Except since it's a hybrid perhaps you should put one of those pussy hats on it. :ROFLMAO:

And I wasn't saying the issue was caused by blowback, just pointing out that a catch can doesn't provide ventilation, it just removes oil and carbon from the existing ventilation system.
I think, if the rule of inverse compensation holds true, the Maverick hybrid deserves the largest set of truck balls money can buy. You know, they say guys with giant trucks are compensating for something...

Sponsored

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Catch can is useless on a hybrid.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup. Atkinsons don't need one. Arguably the ecoboosts don't either.
I thought the new Ecoboost engines use port and direct injection in order to mitigate the carbon buildup problem. 🤷‍♂️ To each their own. Not for me.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the new Ecoboost engines use port and direct injection in order to mitigate the carbon buildup problem. 🤷‍♂️ To each their own. Not for me.
3.5 does and maybe the 2.7 too but not the 2.0 Ecoboost

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it was really necessary ford would put one on stock. I doubt I'll have this truck long enough to matter. And it's not at all clear to me that it will actually mitigate the valve issue. My old mazda ran fine at 100k miles with a gdi engine and all I ever did was fill it with gas and change the oil.
Sponsored