Sponsored

Ohio Document Fee

Scott440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
NE Ohio where I get no respect from some dealers..
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I understand correctly Ohio Law allows a dealer to charge UP TO a 250.00 document fee. When I ordered my Mav I got x plan pricing but the document fee showed 250.00. I told the salesman that it should be 100.00 max under x plan. He told me I was wrong "we always charge 250.00" I said the 250 was the max they could charge by law for any car, (not counting x plan) rather then argue I put in my order since they did give me x plan pricing minus the bogus doc fee.

I have heard on these forums that Ford will refund the difference if it ends up getting wrongly charged charged so I let it ride and will tell them again when I pay. I take it that Ohio law means a 250 MAX doc fee but it doesn't mean that a dealer can charge less if they want to on other makes and models. He made it sound the 250 had to be charged under Ohio law for any car. Am I crazy..what do you think?
Sponsored

II Kings 9:20

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, X5, Genesis AWD, Pacifica, MDX hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I understand correctly Ohio Law allows a dealer to charge UP TO a 250.00 document fee. When I ordered my Mav I got x plan pricing but the document fee showed 250.00. I told the salesman that it should be 100.00 max under x plan. He told me I was wrong "we always charge 250.00" I said the 250 was the max they could charge by law for any car, (not counting x plan) rather then argue I put in my order since they did give me x plan pricing minus the bogus doc fee.

I have heard on these forums that Ford will refund the difference if it ends up getting wrongly charged charged so I let it ride and will tell them again when I pay. I take it that Ohio law means a 250 MAX doc fee but it doesn't mean that a dealer can charge less if they want to on other makes and models. He made it sound the 250 had to be charged under Ohio law for any car. Am I crazy..what do you think?
$250 max in Ohio although I saw a Cincinnati Acura dealer with an $899 fee. Dealers may charge less, the maximum allowed is $250, there is no set minimum in my experience of 30 years in Ohio.

I don't know about Ford's involvement. It would be a stupid business plan for them to refund state allowed fees. Might as well have them refund a portion of sales tax and dealer charges over MSRP while they're at it.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Under any non plan sale they would have to charge every customer the same fee. It wouldn’t have to be as high as 250 but whatever they charge has to be the same for those non plan customer.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If your dealer charged you more than a $100 document fee, they violated X-Plan program rules and owe you the $150 overcharge.

Document Fees
  • Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations.
  • Unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation: In states where dealers are not permitted to charge as much as $100 for doc fees, dealers would be capped at the lesser amount as provided by the state. In states that permitted more than $100, dealers would be permitted to charge the Plan customer $100. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.
  • Doc Fee Charges should be detailed on the AXZD Plan Pricing Agreement located in number 4.
Source: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm

OP
OP
Scott440

Scott440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I ordered in a state where doc fees are allowed to go up to $899. My dealer per the x-plan capped my doc fees to $100 which is a significant savings. I think it's recommended as part of x-plan but not necessarily required.

JoeEd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered in a state where doc fees are allowed to go up to $899. My dealer per the x-plan capped my doc fees to $100 which is a significant savings. I think it's recommended as part of x-plan but not necessarily required.
I'm in Maryland. If you bought your Maverick in Maryland, can you tell me the dealership that followed the X plan rules as stated. I would like to be prepared when I hopefully pick up my Maverick in March.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My order states x-plan but 250 doc fee. I just read on these forums that if they do end up charging the 250 that Ford will refund the difference so I will argue but if this is true won't go to crazy...
Scott, where did you end up on the Doc. fee? 250 or 100? I too am in Ohio and used the Z-Plan but paid 250. I thought it should have been 100 also. That was 4/4 and have not seen any voluntary refund from Ford for the difference.

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Scott, where did you end up on the Doc. fee? 250 or 100? I to am in Ohio and used the Z-Plan but paid 250. I thought it should have been 100 also. That was 4/4 and have not seen any voluntary refund from Ford for the difference.
If you were overcharged on a Ford Plan price, you need to contact Ford CS and bring it to their attention, if the dealer is not responding.

VICKY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK 2.L ECO-BOOST & Mazda Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Lucky you don't live in Florida where I paid a $899 doc fee.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lucky you don't live in Florida where I paid a $899 doc fee.
lol.....a second reason to not live in FL, Disney & high doc fees! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Scott440

Scott440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you were overcharged on a Ford Plan price, you need to contact Ford CS and bring it to their attention, if the dealer is not responding.
When taking delivery a few days ago I disputed the doc fee with dealer but they were firm on the 250.00. I did call Ford CS yesterday who at first said to contact dealer..LOL but then he told me it was OPTIONAL to charge the 100.00 in Ohio which was surprising but looks like with xplan they can charge over 100 so I am dropping it. Maybe why you never got refund from Ford..Let me know if you call CS and they give you a different response.....

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When taking delivery a few days ago I disputed the doc fee with dealer but they were firm on the 250.00. I did call Ford CS yesterday who at first said to contact dealer..LOL but then he told me it was OPTIONAL to charge the 100.00 in Ohio which was surprising but looks like with xplan they can charge over 100 so I am dropping it. Maybe why you never got refund from Ford..Let me know if you call CS and they give you a different response.....
Per the terms I quoted above, dealers are allowed, under X-Plan program rules, to charge a doc fee of up to $100. No more.

X-Plan does not require the dealer to charge the document fee. It sets a mandatory limit, however.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doc fees are another reason dealers got to go. Some states cap it some do not. I don't think it even covers getting the truck registered. Just completing the paperwork as a result of a sale. Imagine a supermarket charging a fee for using a cashier. But with the self serve checkout lines it may happen. You will get a "discount" for using self serve. Pay more get less.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You got a real moron CS rep. That is FALSE. Your dealer is not selling it under x-plan if the doc fees are not capped PER THE PLAN RULES. It's not like dealers can pick and choose which parts of the plan to follow. Keep calling Ford CS until you get a competent agent......which might take numerous attempts, based on my experiences.
Sponsored