2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick (when it is built)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi everyone,

Maverick hybrid was finally delivered to the dealer earlier today so I am now looking into how to install my Thinkware F200 pro dashcam I had purchased for the truck.

Dashcam came with a cigarette lighter socket power cable and hardwire power cable kit (no fuse taps though). I am quite the novice with electrical work despite watching the hardwiring walkthrough video that was posted on this forum. Was originally okay with plugging in the dash cam to the cigarette lighter socket and giving up the parking mode but from searching this forum it seems the power to the cigarette lighter socket is always on even when the truck is off which would make the cam record 24/7 and/or drain the battery. Thought of getting a usb power cord instead but people have also said that the usb ports are always hot.

Obiwan54 (Jeremy) on this forum posted his install vid on his ecoboost using Thinkware's OBD II power cable adapter which seemed to bypass having to hardwire. Thinkware says their OBD power cable is not compatible with electric or hybrid vehicles. Has anyone used an OBD cable for their dash cam on a hybrid? Wondering if that would allow me to avoid hardwiring, unplugging the power cable each time i turn off the car as well as being able to use parking mode.

Thanks
Sponsored

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had a Thinkware Q800 2-channel in my Cmax Energi (PHEV) for over 2 years with an Iroad OBD cable (hybrid version) and no issues. I hardwired the first dashcam I had in this vehicle because there wasn't the OBD option. I've since installed Thinkware dashcam on 2 other ICE vehicles using the OBD cable, again with no issues. YMMV.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just installed a thinkware F200 pro in my Hybrid Maverick. I did speak with a thinkware rep about the OBD plug-in cable and they strongly said it is not compatible and to hardwire the unit instead. I followed their advice. Make sure to run the power cable behind the A pillar air bags, not between the air bag and the A pillar trim.

LiHingLucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
I use the Garmin OBD cable for my 2 Garmin Dashcams. (Front and rear)

OP
OP

W_L89

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick (when it is built)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use the Garmin OBD cable for my 2 Garmin Dashcams. (Front and rear)
Does your dash cam function like it’s hardwired with the obd power cable (Turns off with vehicle off and goes into parking mode)

Sponsored

LiHingLucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Does your dash cam function like it’s hardwired with the obd power cable (Turns off with vehicle off and goes into parking mode)
The Garmin OBDII cable has a switch on it. You can select 10 minutes or 24 hrs for it to continue to draw power. (If I recall correctly). Or just off when the vehicle turns off. We have turned off parking mode on our dash cams as well. It also has a low battery mode and will cut power with low battery detection.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
^^^ Garmin OBD connector has (3) settings, 10 minutes, 24 hours, and constant on....... I use it....

Last edited:

Cward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
I just installed a thinkware F200 pro in my Hybrid Maverick. I did speak with a thinkware rep about the OBD plug-in cable and they strongly said it is not compatible and to hardwire the unit instead. I followed their advice. Make sure to run the power cable behind the A pillar air bags, not between the air bag and the A pillar trim.
Mine is installed with the Thinkware Echomaster OBDII power cable. It has to be the Echomaster, the standard Thinkware OBDII power cable will not work.

RJC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RUSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK CARBO GREY AWD XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buy a 12 volt adapter from Amazon , with on/off switch .

Caleb_S

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine is installed with the Thinkware Echomaster OBDII power cable. It has to be the Echomaster, the standard Thinkware OBDII power cable will not work.
Is yours a hybrid, and does parking mode work with the echomaster OBD2 kit?
Sponsored