Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A Coyote V8 would be nice.
It would be, but completely unnecessary. My 18 Mustang GT weighs about the same as the Maverick, and ran 11's out of the showroom. Add the extra weight of the V8 and HD components to handle the power, and you'd be pretty close to the weight of the RCSB F150 which is about 4100# and runs about 13 flat out of the showroom. So a lot of extra work and engineering to not go any quicker that an F150 RCSB. That only makes it cool in our minds, and makes no business case for Ford.
Sponsored

Your_Cousin_Vinny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lincoln Continental, 2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Typical millennial! ;) I had to work my ass off, save my money and pay for my own first car which had a 5-speed.
Same, been working more than half my life already, but my first was automatic (a creampuff of a 2002 Taurus; front bench with a column shift that I loved, $6,250), because my mom would have killed me if I brought home anything that had a manual (rwd sports car or crappy compact) not that I really wanted those things anyway. I've always loved land yachts, and the Taurus was my first step in that direction for myself. I also learned to drive in my mom's Lucerne with a turning radius like a bus, which I think was way more useful than learning a manual transmission, quite frankly. Thanks to that tank, I've got the confidence to maneuver pretty much anything (unless its a manual, of course ;)).

Your_Cousin_Vinny

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lincoln Continental, 2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I taught my 16 Millennial son how to drive stick on my F450 V10 6 speed rollback when he was 16. He now drives a 13 Shelby GT500 6 speed he bought right out of college. It's his only vehicle.
Congrats. I kept my trusty Taurus through college and then bought a Fusion and a house once I graduated. Then I saved up for my Lincoln (my dream car) and then my Maverick.

Some of us don't dream of mustangs.

This is why I said "generally" in that post

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Congrats. I kept my trusty Taurus through college and then bought a Fusion and a house once I graduated. Then I saved up for my Lincoln (my dream car) and then my Maverick.

Some of us don't dream of mustangs.

This is why I said "generally" in that post
He's a math wizzard. Loves numbers. I guess 662HP was an impressive number, in a nice package when he bought that car. It is all options loaded too, even the glass roof. Works well in San Jose where he lives. He's an electrical engineer for GM, and still has no desire to part with the car after over 8 years.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It would be, but completely unnecessary. My 18 Mustang GT weighs about the same as the Maverick, and ran 11's out of the showroom. Add the extra weight of the V8 and HD components to handle the power, and you'd be pretty close to the weight of the RCSB F150 which is about 4100# and runs about 13 flat out of the showroom. So a lot of extra work and engineering to not go any quicker that an F150 RCSB. That only makes it cool in our minds, and makes no business case for Ford.
You are right the only sensible V8 would be a supercharged 7.3 Godzilla. To hand the additional weight. Even just as a promotional vehicle Ford Racing should slap one in the bed of a hybrid with a V-drive and take it on Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour!

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You are right the only sensible V8 would be a supercharged 7.3 Godzilla. To hand the additional weight. Even just as a promotional vehicle Ford Racing should slap one in the bed of a hybrid with a V-drive and take it on Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour!
Poor little Maverick would break in 2 pieces.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Same, been working more than half my life already, but my first was automatic (a creampuff of a 2002 Taurus; front bench with a column shift that I loved, $6,250), because my mom would have killed me if I brought home anything that had a manual (rwd sports car or crappy compact) not that I really wanted those things anyway. I've always loved land yachts, and the Taurus was my first step in that direction for myself. I also learned to drive in my mom's Lucerne with a turning radius like a bus, which I think was way more useful than learning a manual transmission, quite frankly. Thanks to that tank, I've got the confidence to maneuver pretty much anything (unless its a manual, of course ;)).
My first car was 84 extended length Econoline. Now that's a land yacht. It had a stateroom, living quarters, under hull storage, and a helm with captains chairs. Dad taught me to maneuver that old van through the cones with in 2 inches of space to spare. Today I drive a big old GMC step van down a literal hiking trail and often have to back it through a grove of bamboo with a 10x20 awning hanging off the side and only a single floppy mirror. Ohh yeah its a manual too.

Put me in any surface vehicle that moves and I can operate it. Haven't tried my hand at any aircraft yet, but hey I'm only 39, still got plenty of time.

Learning to drive a manual is a brilliant way to learn complex movements. It's like the difference between parkour and forest gumping it.

Also a good thing you learned to drive your mom's Buick because it's basically the same size of the Maverick.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

But they would both have power to the wheels!
I guess they could adapt it through a Toronado transaxle. Would need the back seat space for the engine though.

Sponsored

emu_missing

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Fredric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD 4k XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I heard we're getting a Maverick Sport Trac, where instead of chopping off the roof and adding a bed like they did in the Explorer, they're gonna chop off the bed and turn it into an SUV instead
wouldn’t that just be a longer bronco sport ?

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Guaranteed they drove stick before you were even a thought. I'm a Gen X and had 4 speed manuals down at 14.
and??

Point being you can't blame the kids. Kinda comical all this finger pointing from the old fogies...guys...you raised us. Whose fault is it really, if they've never driven a manual transmission?

And big picture, does it even matter? The next gen of cars is going to be electric and guess what, the kids raised on those cars won't know how to change oil. OMG, will the world stop spinning?

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

and??

Point being you can't blame the kids. Kinda comical all this finger pointing from the old fogies...guys...you raised us. Whose fault is it really, if they've never driven a manual transmission?

And big picture, does it even matter? The next gen of cars is going to be electric and guess what, the kids raised on those cars won't know how to change oil. OMG, will the world stop spinning?
I taught my son to drive stick at 16. The first and only car he bought is a 6 speed manual. I've done my part. Not my fault others don't.

Reactions: Guv

inline_five

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I taught my son to drive stick at 16. The first and only car he bought is a 6 speed manual. I've done my part. Not my fault others don't.
You're super awesome

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

point being, I think there's less than 1% chance a Maverick ST or any other variant gets a manual transmission. the Bronco 6G only got one because of crawling, and there's a low take rate and it's an unreliable (possibly flawed?) design that keeps eating synchronizers.

V8 Maverick zero chance, ever. it's not even coming to the new MY24 Ranger, so yeah, right. speaking of the new Ranger, since you still can't order 2.7TT in it (but Ford says it's coming!) I think that's evidence that a Maverick ST will either be a 2.3 or 2.0 with a larger turbo.
Sponsored