First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My October 22 order of an XLT, Lux still hasn't been scheduled. My current vehicle, a 2012 Chevy Sonic, is in the shop with a coolant leak. The repair estimate was $2000 for parts alone, well exceeding the worth of the vehicle. I'm guessing I am at least 6 months out from receiving my Maverick. What would you do in the meantime? Used car prices are crazy!
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're sort of between a rock and a hard place. My advice is to fix the Sonic and either wait on your Mav order or, like some other members, call dealers all over the country looking for a dropped order. You'll need that Sonic to take you to pick up your new Mav.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I myself would not put $2k into a $2k vehicle, I would check all websites to find a maverick or quite possibly another vehicle that suits your needs for price/utilities/economical,etc

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My October 22 order of an XLT, Lux still hasn't been scheduled. My current vehicle, a 2012 Chevy Sonic, is in the shop with a coolant leak. The repair estimate was $2000 for parts alone, well exceeding the worth of the vehicle. I'm guessing I am at least 6 months out from receiving my Maverick. What would you do in the meantime? Used car prices are crazy!
$2k? What needs replaced? I replaced my Sport Trac radiator last year for $120, shop wanted $900.

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
More specifically identify a $2000 coolant leak. Also how many miles and general condition of Sonic.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bwf4

bwf4

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Needs new water pump, outlet, thermostat, hoses. It also has a valve leak. $2k was just the parts without any labor, so add $$.

It has 125,000 miles on it, needs a break job, has an exhaust leak, probably more wrong as well.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just checked craigslist and there are atleast a dozen interesting older 80s and 90s cars in your area under $3000. I would say 6 months from now you have a 90% chance of getting over half that money back. So thats not bad. Go get something dumb and fun for the summer. Roadkillinng it is fun.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Needs new water pump, outlet, thermostat, hoses. It also has a valve leak. $2k was just the parts without any labor, so add $$.

It has 125,000 miles on it, needs a break job, has an exhaust leak, probably more wrong as well.
What kind of a shop gave you this pricing? Seems very high. No local mechanics you trust? Just the parts you mention should be no where near $2K. I would shop around on this job.

Regardless, you could fix the chevy, try to find another beater, find a nicer used vehicle for long term, or buy a new (in stock) vehicle right now. Or walk.

Good luck.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I would get more than 1 estimate to get accurate estimate of repair cost, and only focus on the minimum needed to repair coolant leak and get it on the road. That short list you provided shouldn't be more than a couple hundred $ WITH labor to get back driving again. Then prioritize the other issues you mentioned and fix 1 at a time based on what is likely to fail soonest or result in most expensive future repair if not done now and cause a major engine failure.

Also, can you afford to make monthly payments right now? I would probably get the Sonic running again, get it car washed and get on-line quotes to buy it from you. Pick best 1, rent a low budget vehicle while you sell the Sonic and use $ from that sale to go put a down payment on something else and make payments on that until your Maverick arrives.

Good Luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP
bwf4

bwf4

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to pick it up from the shop this afternoon and get the itemized list of parts. It's possible I could get the coolant leak fixed for cheap, ignore the exhaust and valve leak and be able to limp along for a few months.

I never thought it would take this long to get this truck.

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never thought it would take this long to get this truck.
Ford should offer this as a custom decal for all of us! :ROFLMAO:

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Just let it leak and top it off every once in awhile.

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford should offer this as a custom decal for all of us! :ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately Ford can't even reliably send out emails. If they did offer a custom decal none of us would get it until 2025 due to constraints, dealer allocations, and the increased cost of glue. About 1/3rd of us would get an email explaining the delays in shipping our decals, everyone else would just be in the dark.

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fix the Sonic as inexpensively as possible, and as someone suggested chip away at the smaller items that you can afford. When the Maverick comes in, keep the Sonic for a few months in case you need transportation for any warranty work. Fuel prices are not going down any time soon, so I bet there will be a huge market for your Sonic because of it's fuel mileage. Hell, you might make a few bucks on it!
Sponsored