First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I guess I got pretty lucky car shopping this weekend and ended up the owner of a 2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0EB Special Edition. Here is the story:

Soooo I’ve been thinking about getting a truck for a while and was seriously looking at Rangers, but was not tied to anything in particular. I’ve been looking at CarGurus and Craigslist for deals that might work and I found a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel that was priced way too good to be true, so I decided to take an hour drive from where I live outside Sacrament, and go look at it. It turns out the price was to good to be true and the Ram was garbage, but since I was out looking I might as well look some more. I decided to go to the local Ford dealership and maybe test drive a ranger, but they had none in stock, not even ant used models.

I then called my brother who lived near where I was and asked if he wanted to look at cars with me, we both are car people so of course he joined me. We looked at 3 or 4 lots and saw some stuff but nothing that tickled me enough for a test drive so I decided to drive back home to Sacramento.

I decided to stop at Downtown Ford in Sacramento on my way home as I saw a Ranger listed on their website that, again, had a price that seemed way too good to be true. When I arrived at the lot I see that the price I saw on the internet did not reflect the additional dealer markup, as the other local dealers did. No big deal, I’ll just go home, but then the salesperson pounced.

I explained why I stopped in and why I was leaving, and he coldly said “well that’s just what everyone was doing,” when I corrected him, and said actually no every other dealership either listed the marked up price or stated “contact for price” on their websites, he started yelling at me. I was a little taken aback and just walked away and got in my car, all while he was still yelling.

Driving home I was more than a little upset, see I used to sell cars way back when, and I know that was totally unacceptable behavior, even for a car salesman. Well it just so happens I had to drive by one more Ford dealership on my way home so I stopped in to Future Ford, hoping to cleanse my palette from the nasty experience I just had.

I walked the whole lot to without being assaulted by a salesperson. Saw that they had 3 used Rangers on the lot, so I found a salesperson to ask the prices and maybe take one for a drive.

Nathan proceeded to give me the prices of the Rangers (all more than I wanted to spend) and asked me if I wanted to drive one. I told him that I was really looking forward a 2WD, and ask if there was one that I might have missed. He told me he didn’t think so, but there was a Maverick I could look at.

I was surprised as I didn’t think many had been delivered and I didn’t see one when I walked the lot. Nathan told me they had one that had been special ordered but the individual backed out of the deal. Nathan then walked me back behind the fleet manger’s sales trailer and there it was, not even detailed.

I was interested as I had read about the Mavericks when Ford released them for order, as it sounded like the perfect truck for my needs. (Small, efficient, decent towing, affordable)I decided I might was well test drive it, since I was interested them anyway, so away we went. I was impressed with the truck right off, but I was also impressed with Nathan’s professionalism, attitude and personality. When we got back from the drive he asked me what I thought. I told him let’s see what I can get for my trade, basically I was sold.

Now bare in mind this truck was LOADED and also way above what I was planning on spending, hell I just walked off a lot because the actual price of the truck I was looking at was too high but it was about $6k less then the truck I was about to purchase. That was how impressed I was with the truck and Nathan, and maybe I was also still pissed at the other dealership that I wanted to stick it to them.

Now all during the drive Nathan keep telling me how this truck was special, a first edition, something that was sought after, all of this I chalked up to salesmanship, not realizing that a First Edition was actually a thing.

When the offer for my trade in came back at the number I had told myself I’d do the deal at, I shook hands and started signing papers.

On my drive home in my new truck I called my brother back in Modesto, and I told him the story. He asked me if it was an actual First Edition, and I was like “wait, that’s an actual thing?” He then asked if the words special edition was plastered all over the hood. I couldn’t tell so when I got home I looked more carefully and saw that it did. Wow, cool, I guess I got something special.

The very next day (Monday)my girlfriend and I drove the truck down to LA, and that’s when I truly fell in love with the truck.Nothing like putting 1000 miles on a vehicle in three days to really get a sense of how capable it is. I can’t wait to pull my boat, and my GF’s pop up trailer to test it’s capabilities further. Overall I am very, very happy.

And mark my words, I will take my truck back to the dealership that had the rude salesman for service, as I also bout the service package from Future Ford. I will be sure to remind them that I could have been persuaded to spend my money there, but now they would only get to service my truck for free.

7B76A72D-8357-46EF-924E-59C588946147.jpeg

6CE350AF-E29D-4F82-811A-71901C413744.jpeg

638FE7B7-0307-4485-BACB-04F178E32598.jpeg

E3BEC804-5CFA-4EAA-AD26-5D2873674E1A.jpeg

A50191E3-C836-4A24-8B64-8B17606DEC16.jpeg

EEC47C14-B8F2-438D-83DF-E1A9AF93EE84.jpeg

BE65F8B0-43A4-438C-AA2A-5664425AB43C.jpeg
How much was over MSRP was the price of the truck?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SactoJohn

SactoJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0EB First Edition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How much was over MSRP was the price of the truck?
I Paid $6K over. It was the same mark up on all the cars and trucks on he lot except the new Bronco which had a $10K Markup. Again every dealership I went to that day, Dodge, Chevy, Subaru, Nissan had at least a $5K markup on all the new cars on their lots. These dealerships were in Modesto, Riverbank, and Sacramento CA.

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I Paid $6K over. It was the same mark up on all the cars and trucks on he lot except the new Bronco which had a $10K Markup. Again every dealership I went to that day, Dodge, Chevy, Subaru, Nissan had at least a $5K markup on all the new cars on their lots. These dealerships were in Modesto, Riverbank, and Sacramento CA.
Would you have waited 4 months to save the entire $6,000?

OP
OP
SactoJohn

SactoJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would you have waited 4 months to save the entire $6,000?
If I could have waited I might have. But my other was on its way out, and needed to be replaced.

If I would have ordered one it would not have all the options I have on my current vehicle either.

Sponsored

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
I love the adaptive cruise on my wife's Kia. I'm looking forward to having ACC and Lane Centering in my vehicle now too! Just waiting for my Maverick to build in a few weeks! Thanks for your additional thoughts.
I’m with you guys! I LOVE the ACC on my wife’s Hyundai hybrid! It’s awesome on road trips!!! Can’t wait to have it on the Mav!

aberdeenmeadows

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat Spider 124 and Mazda 6
I loved reading the story and just goes to show there are good and bad salespeople out there and they can be representative of not only the dealership they represent, but the cars they are representing.

The Bronco and Maverick are two vehicles that salespeople are finding they don't have to push on anyone... they sell themselves and what surprises me most, is I am hearing salespeople who have people coming off the street and interesting in F-150 or Ranger that they have in stock, to be shown the Maverick as a potential. I am not used to that!

I am glad to see the enthusiasm of Maverick truck buyers and we are fortunate enough to be in on the first year production run and by communicating in this group, we have the ability to share our good stories as well as any issues or problems and help each other out.

9:30 p.m. tonight will be my one week anniversary with mine. We were putting off buying shelves from Ikea for three years until we had a truck. We got our truck and this weekend we got our shelves! Stupid, really, how we limit ourselves.

Enjoy your truck! You have something very special!!!

Fiveflat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I called all the dealerships around here this weekend. Downtown Ford sold that one over the weekend. Woodland ford has a pretty well appointed XL but they have a $5000 mark up!
I said I would drive up today (yesterday - Sunday) for MSRP. He said no. Told him I'm sure he won't have trouble finding a buyer to pay it, but it won't be me...
Ended up ordering one from my local dealer. She isn't adding a markup. Just have to wait is the only catch.

I'm really glad the XL in Woodland didn't work out to be honest. I'm buying this as a reimbursed company car and I put about 30k+ miles a year on it. I really need that adaptive cruise.

OP
OP
SactoJohn

SactoJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I called all the dealerships around here this weekend. Downtown Ford sold that one over the weekend. Woodland ford has a pretty well appointed XL but they have a $5000 mark up!
I said I would drive up today (yesterday - Sunday) for MSRP. He said no. Told him I'm sure he won't have trouble finding a buyer to pay it, but it won't be me...
Ended up ordering one from my local dealer. She isn't adding a markup. Just have to wait is the only catch.

I'm really glad the XL in Woodland didn't work out to be honest. I'm buying this as a reimbursed company car and I put about 30k+ miles a year on it. I really need that adaptive cruise.

Nice! If you are local and want to check mine out send me a PM and we can arrange something.

Fiveflat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! If you are local and want to check mine out send me a PM and we can arrange something.
Yea I'm local. I did get a chance to test drive one about 2 weeks ago. it was when I was looking for a used Ranger as well lol. I was definitely impressed with the 2.0 ecoboost, and especially the used ranger prices so high, this fits my needs perfectly. I have a super duty for heavy stuff.

Sponsored

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I guess I got pretty lucky car shopping this weekend and ended up the owner of a 2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0EB Special Edition. Here is the story:

Soooo I’ve been thinking about getting a truck for a while and was seriously looking at Rangers, but was not tied to anything in particular. I’ve been looking at CarGurus and Craigslist for deals that might work and I found a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel that was priced way too good to be true, so I decided to take an hour drive from where I live outside Sacrament, and go look at it. It turns out the price was to good to be true and the Ram was garbage, but since I was out looking I might as well look some more. I decided to go to the local Ford dealership and maybe test drive a ranger, but they had none in stock, not even ant used models.

I then called my brother who lived near where I was and asked if he wanted to look at cars with me, we both are car people so of course he joined me. We looked at 3 or 4 lots and saw some stuff but nothing that tickled me enough for a test drive so I decided to drive back home to Sacramento.

I decided to stop at Downtown Ford in Sacramento on my way home as I saw a Ranger listed on their website that, again, had a price that seemed way too good to be true. When I arrived at the lot I see that the price I saw on the internet did not reflect the additional dealer markup, as the other local dealers did. No big deal, I’ll just go home, but then the salesperson pounced.

I explained why I stopped in and why I was leaving, and he coldly said “well that’s just what everyone was doing,” when I corrected him, and said actually no every other dealership either listed the marked up price or stated “contact for price” on their websites, he started yelling at me. I was a little taken aback and just walked away and got in my car, all while he was still yelling.

Driving home I was more than a little upset, see I used to sell cars way back when, and I know that was totally unacceptable behavior, even for a car salesman. Well it just so happens I had to drive by one more Ford dealership on my way home so I stopped in to Future Ford, hoping to cleanse my palette from the nasty experience I just had.

I walked the whole lot to without being assaulted by a salesperson. Saw that they had 3 used Rangers on the lot, so I found a salesperson to ask the prices and maybe take one for a drive.

Nathan proceeded to give me the prices of the Rangers (all more than I wanted to spend) and asked me if I wanted to drive one. I told him that I was really looking forward a 2WD, and ask if there was one that I might have missed. He told me he didn’t think so, but there was a Maverick I could look at.

I was surprised as I didn’t think many had been delivered and I didn’t see one when I walked the lot. Nathan told me they had one that had been special ordered but the individual backed out of the deal. Nathan then walked me back behind the fleet manger’s sales trailer and there it was, not even detailed.

I was interested as I had read about the Mavericks when Ford released them for order, as it sounded like the perfect truck for my needs. (Small, efficient, decent towing, affordable)I decided I might was well test drive it, since I was interested them anyway, so away we went. I was impressed with the truck right off, but I was also impressed with Nathan’s professionalism, attitude and personality. When we got back from the drive he asked me what I thought. I told him let’s see what I can get for my trade, basically I was sold.

Now bare in mind this truck was LOADED and also way above what I was planning on spending, hell I just walked off a lot because the actual price of the truck I was looking at was too high but it was about $6k less then the truck I was about to purchase. That was how impressed I was with the truck and Nathan, and maybe I was also still pissed at the other dealership that I wanted to stick it to them.

Now all during the drive Nathan keep telling me how this truck was special, a first edition, something that was sought after, all of this I chalked up to salesmanship, not realizing that a First Edition was actually a thing.

When the offer for my trade in came back at the number I had told myself I’d do the deal at, I shook hands and started signing papers.

On my drive home in my new truck I called my brother back in Modesto, and I told him the story. He asked me if it was an actual First Edition, and I was like “wait, that’s an actual thing?” He then asked if the words special edition was plastered all over the hood. I couldn’t tell so when I got home I looked more carefully and saw that it did. Wow, cool, I guess I got something special.

The very next day (Monday)my girlfriend and I drove the truck down to LA, and that’s when I truly fell in love with the truck.Nothing like putting 1000 miles on a vehicle in three days to really get a sense of how capable it is. I can’t wait to pull my boat, and my GF’s pop up trailer to test it’s capabilities further. Overall I am very, very happy.

And mark my words, I will take my truck back to the dealership that had the rude salesman for service, as I also bout the service package from Future Ford. I will be sure to remind them that I could have been persuaded to spend my money there, but now they would only get to service my truck for free.

7B76A72D-8357-46EF-924E-59C588946147.jpeg

6CE350AF-E29D-4F82-811A-71901C413744.jpeg

638FE7B7-0307-4485-BACB-04F178E32598.jpeg

E3BEC804-5CFA-4EAA-AD26-5D2873674E1A.jpeg

A50191E3-C836-4A24-8B64-8B17606DEC16.jpeg

EEC47C14-B8F2-438D-83DF-E1A9AF93EE84.jpeg

BE65F8B0-43A4-438C-AA2A-5664425AB43C.jpeg
Quick question. Does your Signature Lighting LEDs turn on with your low beams when driving at night?

OP
OP
SactoJohn

SactoJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Quick question. Does your Signature Lighting LEDs turn on with your low beams when driving at night?
I am not sure what my Signature Lighting LEDs are or where they are located. Enlighten me (pun intended) and I will let you know.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not sure what my Signature Lighting LEDs are or where they are located. Enlighten me (pun intended) and I will let you know.
The top of your headlights. I wanted to know if they only turned on as Daytime Running Lights or if they also illuminated at night in conjunction with your regular low beams.

Ford Maverick My 2022 First Edition Maverick is home (long story) 1634675867911

OP
OP
SactoJohn

SactoJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The top of your headlights. I wanted to know if they only turned on as Daytime Running Lights or if they also illuminated at night in conjunction with your regular low beams.

1634675867911.png
I will check it out next time I drive at night.

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I could have waited I might have. But my other was on its way out, and needed to be replaced.

If I would have ordered one it would not have all the options I have on my current vehicle either.
Yeah, I know somewhere who is not marking them up at all.
Sponsored