FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
General Information

Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz Specs Compared 1FE50946-5BEE-447C-A026-6CBD2D06AD6C

*=Estimated.

HP and Torque “Dyno” Graphs

Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz Specs Compared 1EE0BBA0-84D9-4763-8EEB-BD9CB279FD6E

WHEEL HP and Torque vs Wheel speed.
(maximum whee HP and Torque at a given speed)

Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz Specs Compared 5C7FD18F-F470-419E-B9CC-9FB33FCDF964

And I think I figured out why the Santa Cruz has such poor MPG. Because it has tall gears and wide spaced gears. (Notice the massive dips in the power curv) that means the engine struggling after gear shifts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice comparison, thanks.

Is there a typo on the rear legroom?
No rear leg room is 1” better on gas vs hybrid. Because the hybrid battery is under the floor.

however 4” combine leg room is a massive difference between SC and Maverick

Sponsored

Rxturbo7man

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger, 87 RX7 TII, 10th AE Miata, 22 CX-5
Engine
Undecided
I like the looks of the Maverick a lot more
I agree on the looks, but can't really say till we see them in person. As much as I would like to replace my 2010 Ranger, which has been great since new, I'm still on the fence with these, and feel both are a compromise from what I was hoping for; I realize I'm a dinosaur and know the days of manual gearboxes are almost over, but the Maverick doesn't even offer paddle shifters and I really don't like the shift knob.

The One

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree on the looks, but can't really say till we see them in person. As much as I would like to replace my 2010 Ranger, which has been great since new, I'm still on the fence with these, and feel both are a compromise from what I was hoping for; I realize I'm a dinosaur and know the days of manual gearboxes are almost over, but the Maverick doesn't even offer paddle shifters and I really don't like the shift knob.
If the Maverick really doesn't fit your needs for versatility try the Ranger. I have a 2019 Ranger SuperCrew and love it. It has all the power you need and a outstanding towing capability. And it has a regular shifter.
Ford Maverick Maverick vs Santa Cruz Specs Compared Ranger127 (2)

Last edited:

Rxturbo7man

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger, 87 RX7 TII, 10th AE Miata, 22 CX-5
Engine
Undecided
If the Maverick really doesn't fit your needs for versatility try the Ranger. I have a 2019 Ranger SuperCab and love it. It has all the power you need and a outstanding towing capability. And it has a regular shifter.
Ranger127 (2).jpg

Living in the New York metropolitan area I prefer a smaller truck for parking and just maneuvering in traffic. If I lived elsewhere would definitely look at the larger options. If the new Ford trucks are as reliable as my Ranger has been there will be many happy owners.

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
One thing missing here, is I feel the santa cruz will be the more "luxurious truck". A few examples.

1. Santa Cruz upper trims will support your phone as a key. Ford says nothing about that and I doubt they'll implement till a refresh or gen 2. Just given where the ford technology is now.
  2. Larger screen, digital drive cluster.
  3. More storage nooks and crannies in the bed area (that under bed storage means you'll never have to store straps, filler etc. in the cabin.)
  4. Heated & COOLED seats on upper trims.
  5. Integrated lockable rolling bed cover. (yes you can add similar on the maverick.)

Overall, I'd have to sit in both to really make a choice. Ford is more truckish, and I think will last longer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing missing here, is I feel the santa cruz will be the more "luxurious truck". A few examples.

1. Santa Cruz upper trims will support your phone as a key. Ford says nothing about that and I doubt they'll implement till a refresh or gen 2. Just given where the ford technology is now.
  2. Larger screen, digital drive cluster.
  3. More storage nooks and crannies in the bed area (that under bed storage means you'll never have to store straps, filler etc. in the cabin.)
  4. Heated & COOLED seats on upper trims.
  5. Integrated lockable rolling bed cover. (yes you can add similar on the maverick.)

Overall, I'd have to sit in both to really make a choice. Ford is more truckish, and I think will last longer.
1 Ford pass standard up to 10 device (requires WiFi)

2 larger screen is optional. No need for it for me.

3 Santa Cruz had under bed storage because it has a donut not full size spare.

4 never used cooled seats.

5 it’s optional on both trucks

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWIW, the Santa Cruz is supposed to have 36.45" rear legroom.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Having owned both Ford and hyundai products, my strong suspicion is that the hyundai powertrain will both last longer and be less problematic along the way. That being said, I intend to get my hundred dollars back from hyundai and order a hybrid maverick. Ford (and GM, fwiw) has a hybrid warranty that lags behind hyundai, Toyota, etc., but I will likely have different vehicle needs in 8 years anyway... so, good enough for me.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, the Santa Cruz is supposed to have 36.45" rear legroom.
according to reports they cut out 4.5 inches of rear leg room from the Tuscon to Santa Cruz to give it a bed. Making the rear leg room ~34”

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my opinion, the SC pickup's real problem is not MPG or anything else, but why is Hyundai so slow? They have this concept in 2015, and wait 6 years to make it true. If they revealed SC in 2017 or 2018, they would have several good years already.
Sponsored