Sponsored

Maverick Rework

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I've thought about such, but Ford is pretty sneaky and annoyed at their suppliers for previous unauthorized "leaks". They are too far long to change bodywork, and the like. One thing I can see them doing is potentially offering an engine choice that wasn't initially supposed to be offered at launch. Potentially a 2.3T engine option over the presumed/ expected 1.5T and 2.0T variants. The competition is coming out with a pretty stout engine offering, 2.5T with respectable HP/TQ for the segment. If their intent was only 1.5T, 2.0T and some sort of Hybrid powertrain, then they could essentially offer 2.3T and do "late availability". The 2.0T could meet the competition 2.5T powerwise, but likely would need to be tuned for 91+ premium fuel, and I don't see that happening on this type of product. A base tune of the 2.3T in vehicles like Ranger, or even their Lincoln Corsair (many forget that is also on the C2 platform and offers the 2.3T as an optional engine) could meet power numbers without reaching for required 91+ fuel; recommended, but not required. The 2.3T would have no issues fitting in the engine bay as it is essentially the same deck height and length as the 2.0T. The only problem is the Ranger. Ford does not like to overlap their truck segments, at least from current history.

At this point, I just want to see some official specifications and reveal. If it is what I am seeking, great, if not, I'll move along. I'm hoping some of the things we see on the spy photos are pre-production/ prototype or either absent due to not being final production, but those are nit picking things. In addition, it also comes down to interior quality. Never been a fan of Ford's compact vehicle interiors, but maybe they have come a long way, so I'll reserve final judgement until. I know this has to hit a price point within the existing line-up, and I am reasonable, I don't expect luxury quality interior of a $50K+ vehicle, but I also don't want entirely a sea of cheap plastic.

However, I do wish the final production would have the nice hard angular body lines like the "Raptor" rendering. Could be just all the cammo, but it does seem a little bland.
I've actually been thinking the same thing recently, Xtreme Thunder. Now that the Santa Cruz is out with the 2.5T engine, Ford may be considering going back to the drawing board for a rethink. If what I've heard in recent reviews about the 2.5T engine are true, Hyundai would already have the Maverick beat if Ford does the 2.0L EcoBoost as their top engine. As for the overlapping bit, I really don't see this as much of an issue. Note that Ford is going to new a new Ranger about a model-year or so after the Maverick with the 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 as the new powerplant. There's also talk of a 2.3L plug-in hybrid as well, but you see my point.

-SG

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
The biggest concern is that both competitors were supposed to enter the market together, of Ford is gonna leave hyundai to create a new segment and have it all to themselves with the maverick coming in at a later second...that's a lot of potential sales lost.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
i really hope they are not trying to compete against the RL or Santa Cruz.

Hopefully this is a less expensive, utilitarian very small boxy truck. I have no interest in a RL or SC. They compete more with trucks like the Ranger and Tacoma etc. Basically, I want a Transit Connect Cargo with a bed
I think everyone is assuming that the Maverick and the Santa Cruz will be direct competitors due to size. But if you look at the spy photos of the Maverick parked next to a Ranger, especially the one form the backend, I'm not confident that the Santa Cruz is the same size as the Maverick. I have no magic measuring stick, but based on the demensions for the Santa Cruz relative to the mid sized trucks, I'm thinking that if you took that spy shot and put the Santa Cruz between the Ranger and the Maverick it would look like Large (Ranger), Medium (Santa Cruz), and small (Maverick). That is of course assuming similar features like all three being 4WD/AWD. I'm sure someone will go look a the projected dimensions for the Maverick and compare those to the Santa Cruz. But, I'm just going to say that I would like a small truck, so I did not go do that comparison because I don't want my dreams dashed quite yet.
Sponsored