First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With little to no news on the Maverick since the Cyber Orange Spy Shots and the release of the Santa Cruz, I have become annoyed. So, to spark conversation and keep me sane, why do you think news has stopped?

My thought is that Ford saw the release of the Santa Cruz, heard the capacities of the vehicle and are scrambling to beef up the Mavericks numbers before release.

P.S. I am not counting the Raptor Render as news. Although awesome, it’s just not news worthy.
Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Hmm I want to say due to the release and maybe forum feed back that they're changing their marketing strategy, and maybe some accessories or trim equipment...or maybe just redoing the commercial that leaked a while back being filmed?

If production had already begun then I highly doubt engineering and design changes are being done

But I'm all for more news, I'm getting impatient and we need more stuff to talk about rather than ridge line and Santa Cruz comparisons
😁

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They're just trying to avoid another Bronco debacle I think. That poor thing was announced WAY too early. Everyone that was super excited has kinda gotta annoyed at this point waiting so long.

Or they saw the Santa Cruz reveal just like everyone else did and though "oh ****, they did better than we expected" and are now trying to reconfigure easy things or brainstorming on how to advertise it against the Santa Cruz.

Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I've thought about such, but Ford is pretty sneaky and annoyed at their suppliers for previous unauthorized "leaks". They are too far long to change bodywork, and the like. One thing I can see them doing is potentially offering an engine choice that wasn't initially supposed to be offered at launch. Potentially a 2.3T engine option over the presumed/ expected 1.5T and 2.0T variants. The competition is coming out with a pretty stout engine offering, 2.5T with respectable HP/TQ for the segment. If their intent was only 1.5T, 2.0T and some sort of Hybrid powertrain, then they could essentially offer 2.3T and do "late availability". The 2.0T could meet the competition 2.5T powerwise, but likely would need to be tuned for 91+ premium fuel, and I don't see that happening on this type of product. A base tune of the 2.3T in vehicles like Ranger, or even their Lincoln Corsair (many forget that is also on the C2 platform and offers the 2.3T as an optional engine) could meet power numbers without reaching for required 91+ fuel; recommended, but not required. The 2.3T would have no issues fitting in the engine bay as it is essentially the same deck height and length as the 2.0T. The only problem is the Ranger. Ford does not like to overlap their truck segments, at least from current history.

At this point, I just want to see some official specifications and reveal. If it is what I am seeking, great, if not, I'll move along. I'm hoping some of the things we see on the spy photos are pre-production/ prototype or either absent due to not being final production, but those are nit picking things. In addition, it also comes down to interior quality. Never been a fan of Ford's compact vehicle interiors, but maybe they have come a long way, so I'll reserve final judgement until. I know this has to hit a price point within the existing line-up, and I am reasonable, I don't expect luxury quality interior of a $50K+ vehicle, but I also don't want entirely a sea of cheap plastic.

However, I do wish the final production would have the nice hard angular body lines like the "Raptor" rendering. Could be just all the cammo, but it does seem a little bland.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I've thought about such, but Ford is pretty sneaky and annoyed at their suppliers for previous unauthorized "leaks". They are too far long to change bodywork, and the like. One thing I can see them doing is potentially offering an engine choice that wasn't initially supposed to be offered at launch. Potentially a 2.3T engine option over the presumed/ expected 1.5T and 2.0T variants. The competition is coming out with a pretty stout engine offering, 2.5T with respectable HP/TQ for the segment. If their intent was only 1.5T, 2.0T and some sort of Hybrid powertrain, then they could essentially offer 2.3T and do "late availability". The 2.0T could meet the competition 2.5T powerwise, but likely would need to be tuned for 91+ premium fuel, and I don't see that happening on this type of product. A base tune of the 2.3T in vehicles like Ranger, or even their Lincoln Corsair (many forget that is also on the C2 platform and offers the 2.3T as an optional engine) could meet power numbers without reaching for required 91+ fuel; recommended, but not required. The 2.3T would have no issues fitting in the engine bay as it is essentially the same deck height and length as the 2.0T. The only problem is the Ranger. Ford does not like to overlap their truck segments, at least from current history.

At this point, I just want to see some official specifications and reveal. If it is what I am seeking, great, if not, I'll move along. I'm hoping some of the things we see on the spy photos are pre-production/ prototype or either absent due to not being final production, but those are nit picking things. In addition, it also comes down to interior quality. Never been a fan of Ford's compact vehicle interiors, but maybe they have come a long way, so I'll reserve final judgement until. I know this has to hit a price point within the existing line-up, and I am reasonable, I don't expect luxury quality interior of a $50K+ vehicle, but I also don't want entirely a sea of cheap plastic.

However, I do wish the final production would have the nice hard angular body lines like the "Raptor" rendering. Could be just all the cammo, but it does seem a little bland.
I would love a 2.3 eco choice ..
Regards

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
They're just trying to avoid another Bronco debacle I think. That poor thing was announced WAY too early. Everyone that was super excited has kinda gotta annoyed at this point waiting so long.

Or they saw the Santa Cruz reveal just like everyone else did and though "oh ****, they did better than we expected" and are now trying to reconfigure easy things or brainstorming on how to advertise it against the Santa Cruz.

I feel like it's a fine balance between 'something to look forward to' and 'ive waiting too long' but most people that were set on a bronco/sport waited it out since they knew the wait would be worth it, I'm holding out now based on a few pics that I'm interested in, but it's still a gamble if when it comes out it's now what I expected.

I think we also have to take into consideration the times we're living in, everyone is locked in at home, nothing to read but news, the bronco was good at giving people hope and something to look forward too, would it be good marketing to do the same for us?

We're the ones creating the murmurs, analyzing every leaked pic, creating a following, photoshopping renders, etc, pretty much their marketing department, so yes even if it's the same prototype driving circles every week, I think it's fair to show us that much, especially if we've already seen it

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I saw one commentator talking about the Maverick coming out relative to the Santa Cruz. Hey pointed out that Ford is super competitive about trucks. He pointed to the Broncos showing up at the Easter Jeep Safari. His thought seemed to be that whatever Ford does with the Maverick release at this point it will be very aggressive.

I also think that Ford may be annoyed with the supplier leaks.

My bet at this point is that we hear noting more and see few or no spy shots until there is an announcement of a launch event. I'm officially betting the launch even will happen about the same time production is supposed to start in July. Unless production gets delayed due to the chip shortage. In which case, the launch event happens later.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I coincidentally watched a YouTube video on the launch of the 2020 explorer and the issues Ford had and thought of this thread.

It seemed for a while there Ford was having to recall a lot of their new generations or new vehicles. The Ranger was even included for a taillight issue I believe.

Combine that with the Bronco “release” and I think that’s why we haven’t heard anything yet officially. Ford is wanting to get this right with us much fanfare and as little disappointment as possible.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In addition to wanting to get it right the 1st time, we're still in the midst of a world wide chip shortage for vehicles and I've seen stories of companies building complete trucks- minus needed CPUs- and just parking them to wait for chips. maybe why Ford only built 27 in 1st production run at Hemosillo? The other part of this is, if Ford only gets limited quantities of popular chips, would you use them on un-announced vehicle to rush it to market or cash cow like F150? Cash talks!

I'm hoping they have regional test drive programs like they did with the Ranger. You just signed up by email and they sent an invitiation for a test drive- and this was before they were allocated to dealers. That's probably the only way I'll get to test drive a Maverick to make up my mind about buying.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i really hope they are not trying to compete against the RL or Santa Cruz.

Hopefully this is a less expensive, utilitarian very small boxy truck. I have no interest in a RL or SC. They compete more with trucks like the Ranger and Tacoma etc. Basically, I want a Transit Connect Cargo with a bed

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
With little to no news on the Maverick since the Cyber Orange Spy Shots and the release of the Santa Cruz, I have become annoyed. So, to spark conversation and keep me sane, why do you think news has stopped?

My thought is that Ford saw the release of the Santa Cruz, heard the capacities of the vehicle and are scrambling to beef up the Mavericks numbers before release.

P.S. I am not counting the Raptor Render as news. Although awesome, it’s just not news worthy.
I think it can be sumed up in two words: Chip shortage.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I think it can be sumed up in two words: Chip shortage.
Since it's not revealed yet, no problem stalling supply...no harm no foul 😔

It's kind of ironic since now Is when a trade in would be worth the most, I hope they share enough chips to start production, but I'm believing more and more that it'll be a 2022 model for November

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i really hope they are not trying to compete against the RL or Santa Cruz.

Hopefully this is a less expensive, utilitarian very small boxy truck. I have no interest in a RL or SC. They compete more with trucks like the Ranger and Tacoma etc. Basically, I want a Transit Connect Cargo with a bed
You explain my needs/wants basically exactly. Lol. Ive been following this thing since the concept WAS a Transit Connect with a bed chopped onto the back of it and thats precisely what I want. A small, fleetish beater. I do think the Santa Cruz is gonna be in a slightly higher class, closer to the Ranger which puts the Maverick in an odd spot spec wise. The Ridgeline is like two classes above where the Maverick is gonna end up, they arent even playing on the same field and its nuts to think they'll compare.
Sponsored