Maverick off-roading? capability?

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Still debating whether to get Maverick... I would like to start off-roading...

Thanks

Define your idea of off-roading. Dirt roads you don't even need AWD as even the front wheel drive version is a beast with over 8 inches of ground clearance.
Put a set of all terrains on it if you get nervous.

You want real off-roading you buy the King,,, a Jeep Wrangler. (two door please)
Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think everyone here has a different definition of off roading. If it's soft roading or overlanding, you can get to a lot of places even on the FWD. Some all terrains and traction pads for some slippier areas.

Rock crawling or anything other than dirt paths though you're better off with something else.

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reality is I will be in a Starbucks drive through sing; "I got a shotgun, rifle and an all-wheel drive and a country boy can survive." When people look at me strange I will just point to the FX4 sticker on the bed.
I am pretty sure I never heard a country song mention AWD, its usually 4-wheel drive ;)

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's obvious no one is asking whether the FWD Hybrid can take on the Rubicon. It should be totally find for dirt/service roads as long as there's not too much mud or you know how to manage momentum.

The AWD system on here is probably only useful for traction in snow or during risky maneuvers in the rain. Remember, people in Mexico and India go way farther with FWD econoboxes than any of the "AWD is necessary for potholes" crew would care to admit. The approach and departure angles alone are probably the biggest advantages for offroading.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 cactus grey Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Look up Subaru crosstrek, forrester, outback videos and that is the overlanding the Maverick should be able to do. Remember the Subaru AWD is a better AWD system and capable of a little bit more.

Personally, I wouldn't take a FWD/Hybrid Maverick overlanding. I use my engine to brake at certain times and you want full engine on starts at times and other techniques and having the hybrid kick in would be a PIA. My wife's outback has paddle shifters and the nanny/baby sitter options kick in and automatically shift the car when it thinks the rev is too high or too low. Heck the computer has redlined the Outback on automatic downshifts more than I have.

IF you do decide to get FWD, have some recovery boards, air compressor and a tow rope.
Do you think the AWD Maverick eco engine would be capable of traveling on the sand beaches of the outer Banks in North Carolina ?

Sponsored

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think the AWD Maverick eco engine would be capable of traveling on the sand beaches of the outer Banks in North Carolina ?
Yes. Easily. Horsepower can be a detriment on the beach in the wrong hands.

Tires, air pressure and no wheel spin are key

I took my 1994 Toyota Tacoma 4cylinder towing a small pop up camper out to OBX to surf and fish for years

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think everyone here has a different definition of off roading. If it's soft roading or overlanding, you can get to a lot of places even on the FWD. Some all terrains and traction pads for some slippier areas.

Rock crawling or anything other than dirt paths though you're better off with something else.
You are not wrong. It will probably do ok anywhere that doesn't have a lot of rock hopping. It's simply not set up for complex trails. Asking simple questions like "will I bottom out" or "will I sink in this mud" can go a long way. Someone who knows what they are doing could probably wring a lot out of it, knowing it's limitations.

A while back we got caught in a snap snowstorm. 6" in 2 hours and we were quite a ways from home. We stayed slow and straight in the middle of the road in our FWD sedan and did fine. The roadside ditches were full of idiots in big SUV's and pickups with AWD/4wd who were trying to drive like they still had traction. The towing companies made out like bandits that night.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. Easily. Horsepower can be a detriment on the beach in the wrong hands.

Tires, air pressure and no wheel spin are key

I took my 1994 Toyota Tacoma 4cylinder towing a small pop up camper out to OBX to surf and fish for years
Thank you

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's obvious no one is asking whether the FWD Hybrid can take on the Rubicon. It should be totally find for dirt/service roads as long as there's not too much mud or you know how to manage momentum.

The AWD system on here is probably only useful for traction in snow or during risky maneuvers in the rain. Remember, people in Mexico and India go way farther with FWD econoboxes than any of the "AWD is necessary for potholes" crew would care to admit. The approach and departure angles alone are probably the biggest advantages for offroading.
Yeah, I know it's off topic, but I keep seeing people talk about needing AWD on the Maverick for snow, and I scratch my head. I've been driving FWD cars in Wisconsin winters for decades -- and FWD does great. The reason AWD or four wheel drive is traditionally important in snow for trucks is because REAR wheel drive is a nightmare on slick roads, and that's what trucks traditionally are.

Brakes are way more important on slick roads than AWD anyway.

(Also I learned to drive in a 1986 rear wheel drive Ford sedan, and knowing how to handle that in snow made every FWD car I drove feel like easy mode after that)

The Hybrid and FWD Ecoboost should be fine on paved surfaces for anything you throw at it as long as you learn how to use it properly. The AWD Maverick will be good for light offroading, or driving to a camp site. If you want a "serious" offroader for challenging trails or rock crawling, there are much better vehicles out there.

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
As others have said here, there’s different Ford models for different uses. The ranger seems to be the truck model for serious off-roading. The maverick gets some off-roading but the videos posted here also showed the limits in clearance, approach angles, and rocks. It does show the maverick making it up some pretty steep inclines in muddy/slick conditions. For me, it was a question if I’d ever take my truck off-roading at all. If I had answered yes, I would have gone up to a ranger 4wd but my answer was no, mainly city and some highway driving and resale value. In my area we get limited snow/ice and I don’t anticipate driving in that, or on gravel roads, and/or muddy trails. If I did, would have upgraded to the Maverick AWD Ecoboost.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Wondering if the AWD will be fully capable of off-roading.

Silly question but do you think the HYBRID would be able to do "soft" or mild off-roading?

Still debating whether to get Maverick... I would like to start off-roading...

Pls don't suggest to buy a ranger or whatever... It wouldn't fit the bill...

Thanks
The definition of “off-road” is dependent on the expectations, capabilities and experience of the person who is asking much more than that of the vehicle itself.
Will it’s capability surprise some drivers, you bet.
Will some drivers be disappointed, yup.
If you are just starting out and the hybrid is your go to car, consider trailering a light UTV.
Trash on that and when you get stuck and/or break it you will learn valuable lessons you can apply later to answer your own question because by asking the question the answer is…no.
Me, meh, it’ll do what I expect of it and nothing more.
To some that might mean “off-road”, to me not so much.

Thunderdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Coming from a tundra 4x4, a 4Runner, and 24 hrs with a bronco wild track Sasquatch I try not to drive over to many leaves on the road in the Maverick. Might be ok in a little snow, or down a dirt road that’s not in great shape. The chassis just doesn’t look to robust, plus I don’t have the fx4 so I only have air plates , no skid plates. Very little articulation. You got awd and light weight going for ya though.

Ronaldj

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD Chevy Equinox, 35th anniversary mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have seen pictures of the Maverick Hybrid being used as a beach Truck.
Does anybody have any experience with using the Hybrid Maverick as a surf fishing truck

Grey Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Cactus Grey, Jeep Wrangler Mango
I will let you know. Heading there next weekend with my Wrangler and Maverick, wrangler Has made this trip many times. now it’s time to see if I can save gas next year and leave the Jeep at home.

Wizard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I will let you know. Heading there next weekend with my Wrangler and Maverick, wrangler Has made this trip many times. now it’s time to see if I can save gas next year and leave the Jeep at home.
Awesome, please let me know and have a great time
Sponsored