First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering if the AWD will be fully capable of off-roading.

Silly question but do you think the HYBRID would be able to do "soft" or mild off-roading?

Still debating whether to get Maverick... I would like to start off-roading...

Pls don't suggest to buy a ranger or whatever... It wouldn't fit the bill...

Thanks
Sponsored

‘80F100

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 F100, 1996 Ram 2500, 2001 Ranger, 2014 Edge
It depends what you mean by fully capable. It would be great on trails or out in the sand. I’m sure it would do fine is some minor mud. But it wouldn’t do very good in deep mud or trails which require a lot of suspension travel. The most I would do with the hybrid is drive it down a bumpy road.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wondering if the AWD will be fully capable of off-roading.

Silly question but do you think the HYBRID would be able to do "soft" or mild off-roading?

Still debating whether to get Maverick... I would like to start off-roading...

Pls don't suggest to buy a ranger or whatever... It wouldn't fit the bill...

Thanks
You can't have your cake and eat it to buddy. To seriously offroad with the mav will be way more costly than a ranger. If off roading is what you want and you need small and somewhat fuel efficient, than a 2008 Ranger Tremor would fit the bill.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Serious" off-roading is not really what this product is aiming at. Like others have said, if that is what you want, a Ranger of different trims is really a better option.

The Maverick being a FWD based sometimes AWD optioned uni-body "car" for all intents doesn't have the bones or flesh for serious off-roading where you have twisting, substantial suspension travel and the kind of solid robustness required to last being beat up.

The AWD system available at current doesn't have any kind of a manual lock to force AWD, nor a rear differential lock. Ford has this hardware (available on Bronco Sport Badlands) but until they do an "offroad" themed Maverick (FX4 is not really much), on the shelf those parts remain. Even with those, the Maverick would still be little more than a soft-roader with some extra teeth.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Maverick off-roading? capability? 1630338426663

Sponsored

‘80F100

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 F100, 1996 Ram 2500, 2001 Ranger, 2014 Edge
You can't have your cake and eat it to buddy. To seriously offroad with the mav will be way more costly than a ranger. If off roading is what you want and you need small and somewhat fuel efficient, than a 2008 Ranger Tremor would fit the bill.
A 2008 tremor? Before 2021 the last ranger tremor was in 2002 and it was just a audio upgrade. Do you mean a FX4?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
It’s still an “open” diff system across the board even on the FX4 package.
I would wait to see if they come out with a tremor package, similar to the Bronco Sport Badlands. Using that dual clutch differential. Many people are saying that’s the best AWD system on the market right now.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A 2008 tremor? Before 2021 the last ranger tremor was in 2002 and it was just a audio upgrade. Do you mean a FX4?
You are correct. I was thinking of the FX4 Level II

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Look up Subaru crosstrek, forrester, outback videos and that is the overlanding the Maverick should be able to do. Remember the Subaru AWD is a better AWD system and capable of a little bit more.

Personally, I wouldn't take a FWD/Hybrid Maverick overlanding. I use my engine to brake at certain times and you want full engine on starts at times and other techniques and having the hybrid kick in would be a PIA. My wife's outback has paddle shifters and the nanny/baby sitter options kick in and automatically shift the car when it thinks the rev is too high or too low. Heck the computer has redlined the Outback on automatic downshifts more than I have.

IF you do decide to get FWD, have some recovery boards, air compressor and a tow rope.

Sponsored

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reality is I will be in a Starbucks drive through sing; "I got a shotgun, rifle and an all-wheel drive and a country boy can survive." When people look at me strange I will just point to the FX4 sticker on the bed.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree with everyone. You don’t need a Ranger for serious off-road. You need a WildTrack Bronco with Sasquatch.

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reality is I will be in a Starbucks drive through sing; "I got a shotgun, rifle and an all-wheel drive and a country boy can survive." When people look at me strange I will just point to the FX4 sticker on the bed.
thats great. Ol hank

ackables

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
8.6 inches of clearance with upgraded All-terrain tires, skid plates. Not worried
Is your Honda Element the FWD or 4WD? If it is the FWD, all I would want from the hybrid maverick is the ability to go anywhere a FWD Honda Element could. I don't want to truly off-road, just be able to take it down some rougher dirt roads to get to some camp sites.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is your Honda Element the FWD or 4WD? If it is the FWD, all I would want from the hybrid maverick is the ability to go anywhere a FWD Honda Element could. I don't want to truly off-road, just be able to take it down some rougher dirt roads to get to some camp sites.
My element is the AWD but it's a pretty lame set up at least for the 2004 - Manual transmission version. Takes a ton of slippage for the rears to get in the game but I have taken that rig to places that even surprised me - only 6.9 clearance as well.
Sponsored