First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick Pickup, and especially the hybrid, carved out a unique niche combining low purchase price with great fuel economy. There is at present, nothing else like it on the market. If Farley wants to create a Maverick "family," the other members of the "clan" need to also be unique in some way. The Ecosport didn't do well because the competition had very similar, (and cheaper), vehicles. Find the unfilled niches and create vehicles that will appeal to those customers. How about a 2-door version of the Maverick, maybe a plug-in electric, that could sell for under $18K? Make it all about low price and no fuel costs. It could be a very light-duty "city car" aimed at people who only need very basic transportation and delivery services (like pizza delivery, florists, etc.) who rarely have very big or heavy loads. and no need at all for towing..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick Pickup, and especially the hybrid, carved out a unique niche combining low purchase price with great fuel economy. There is at present, nothing else like it on the market. If Farley wants to create a Maverick "family," the other members of the "clan" need to also be unique in some way. The Ecosport didn't do well because the competition had very similar, (and cheaper), vehicles. Find the unfilled niches and create vehicles that will appeal to those customers. How about a 2-door version of the Maverick, maybe a plug-in electric, that could sell for under $18K? Make it all about low price and no fuel costs. It could be a very light-duty "city car" aimed at people who only need very basic transportation and delivery services (like pizza delivery, florists, etc.) who rarely have very big or heavy loads. and no need at all for towing..
I remember them saying they were filling a "white space" with Maverick, more than a niche. To make any profit on these low end vehicles they need to keep production costs down and cast as wide a net as possible for potential buyers. Then sell hundreds of thousands of them sharing as many basic components as possible so as not to dilute the basic version forming the basis for all other variants. Customization to differentiate so they don't all become soulless econoboxes is good and that seems to be what the trim levels and option menu and DIY (flex bed, etc) is aimed at, more-so than Ford spreading itself too thin creating too many specialty versions to make a profit.

Ryguy8954

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Left Foot, 1994 Right foot, borrow friendsCar
I've actually wondered why they made the Maverick it's own thing instead of calling it an F-150 Small/Mini/Urban/Compact/Fun Size/Economy or something that puts emphasis on the small size and price tag, while still being a truck. The F-150 is such a well known and iconic truck I think it would make more sense to market it as an F-150 for people who don't want a giant, heavy duty, expensive truck, but who still want a truck.

If the Maverick was considered a small F-150 I would have found out about it waaaay earlier. I stumbled onto the Mav in a really roundabout way because I basically wanted a smaller F-150. I ended up finding out the Maverick because I eventually found out about the Ranger and went to the dealership to buy a used Ranger--that they sold right before I arrived. They got me to take a test drive a new Ranger, but I didn't want to spend that much on a truck, so they got me to test drive a Maverick, and that was the first I'd heard of the Maverick. I want a truck, but have a small garage that i don't think an F-150 would fit in, but if the Ranger and Maverick were the F-150 Small and Super Small I would have started looking at those right off the bat.

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've actually wondered why they made the Maverick it's own thing instead of calling it an F-150 Small/Mini/Urban/Compact/Fun Size/Economy or something that puts emphasis on the small size and price tag, while still being a truck. The F-150 is such a well known and iconic truck I think it would make more sense to market it as an F-150 for people who don't want a giant, heavy duty, expensive truck, but who still want a truck.

If the Maverick was considered a small F-150 I would have found out about it waaaay earlier. I stumbled onto the Mav in a really roundabout way because I basically wanted a smaller F-150. I ended up finding out the Maverick because I eventually found out about the Ranger and went to the dealership to buy a used Ranger--that they sold right before I arrived. They got me to take a test drive a new Ranger, but I didn't want to spend that much on a truck, so they got me to test drive a Maverick, and that was the first I'd heard of the Maverick. I want a truck, but have a small garage that i don't think an F-150 would fit in, but if the Ranger and Maverick were the F-150 Small and Super Small I would have started looking at those right off the bat.

because they are trying to attract a much wider buying audience that would never consider a truck , no matter how car like or SUV like. Calling it F-150's little brother, red headed step child- whatever makes it a TRUCK and there goes all the new interest they are trying to convert.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If they come out with a van thats awd for 30k not 50k like the transit. I will be all over it. Im proud to be a dirty vanner. By the way just so yall know vanners are what inspired these modern vanlife folks. We are a different sketckier breed.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems odd that they are thinking about adding another band. Why did they dump Mercury (the first car I ever rode in)?

General Motors did away with with Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Hummer, LaSalle and Saturn. I think I'm seeing a pattern...
I may have been conceived in the back of a Mercury.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
because they are trying to attract a much wider buying audience that would never consider a truck , no matter how car like or SUV like. Calling it F-150's little brother, red headed step child- whatever makes it a TRUCK and there goes all the new interest they are trying to convert.
It matters what they call it? I always have to laugh when I see Toyotas with the acronym for Toyota Racing Development proudly displayed on the rear quarter panel of the truck -
TuRD. OK, it doesn't have the "u", but that's how I read the TRD logo. 🤣 Doesn't seem to matter what they call it to the owners as they seem to sell a lot of them.

OP
OP
Old Ranchero

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It matters what they call it? I always have to laugh when I see Toyotas with the acronym for Toyota Racing Development proudly displayed on the rear quarter panel of the truck -
TuRD. OK, it doesn't have the "u", but that's how I read the TRD logo. 🤣 Doesn't seem to matter what they call it to the owners as they seem to sell a lot of them.
who said they didn't sell a lot of their trucks? You know who buys them? TRUCK people. Especially the ones with :poop: stickers on them. Toyota also sells lots of Hybrids, sedans, coupes, sports cars, and popular mini vans. Ford? They no longer sells "cars" except for Mustang and Mach E, and Maverick is intended to try to keep Ford loyal buyers who want an entry level car + steal some customers who normally would by a cheaper basic car elsewhere. Stats I saw on women and other non traditional truck buyers would indicate the strategy is working.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If they come out with a van thats awd for 30k not 50k like the transit. I will be all over it. Im proud to be a dirty vanner. By the way just so yall know vanners are what inspired these modern vanlife folks. We are a different sketckier breed.

Cost is definitely the reason I didn't go with a Connect. I have always wanted the wagon version.

Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
who said they didn't sell a lot of their trucks? You know who buys them? TRUCK people. Especially the ones with :poop: stickers on them. Toyota also sells lots of Hybrids, sedans, coupes, sports cars, and popular mini vans. Ford? They no longer sells "cars" except for Mustang and Mach E, and Maverick is intended to try to keep Ford loyal buyers who want an entry level car + steal some customers who normally would by a cheaper basic car elsewhere. Stats I saw on women and other non traditional truck buyers would indicate the strategy is working.
Mustang and Mexican Mustang

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Cost is definitely the reason I didn't go with a Connect. I have always wanted the wagon version.
4x4 is the main reason. My driveway should have one of those trail head signs that reads "High clearance 4WD vehicles only". Price would be better lower. But if a mid range AWD turbo van could be had for 35-36k I would pay it.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For $35k maybe you should have your driveway re-graded.
Sponsored