First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid (23MY Mav ordered)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a 23 Maverick Hybrid recently. I currently own a 13 Fusion Hybrid. My Fusion has been great to me over the years, but it’s getting time to get something new. How does the Maverick compare to the Fusion as far as driving and everyday use go? I’ve gotten my Fusion to a total average of 41.4 MPG and climbing. I recently changed my commute and am regularly seeing 45-50 MPG trips. Does the Maverick drive similarly to the Fusion Hybrid? Thanks!!!
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My average over 9,000 miles is 44 mpg. Majority city trips without AC I can get from 55-60 mpg.

OP
OP

infrno187

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m at 6k miles now and averaging 50.5. We have some fusion hybrids at my work. It is similar. Braking is a bit better on the fusion but I love my Maverick.
CDF252E4-7150-492B-BB0C-456FB3380739.jpeg
Nice! Good to know. What do you mean by better?

Tx_actual

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride, Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At very low speed (think inching forward in stop and go traffic) the brake pedal is spongy and catches hard sometimes. Not really a big deal. You get used to how to press it.

Sponsored

hooliganmom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad owns a 2019 Fusion Hybrid. He got right in the truck and started driving it like a pro, except for getting used to the brakes. We get similar gas mileage although my Maverick doesn't see any tanks averaging above 45mpg. I think the Mav is partly intended as a Fusion replacement.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2014 had a better base sound system to my ears than even the B&O. Radio reception with the Fusion sucked compared to the Maverick. Since it didn't have real drive modes it could just stay on Eco although mostly that just tamed the cruise control. Fuel economy is the same (43mpg) even if sometimes I can definitely notice the Maverick's battery capacity having less endurance. The Maverick's engine is quieter and less buzzy than the Fusion especially making passing sound less strained and nearly unnoticeable at cruising. Electric motor power is about the same so it's still a little sluggish trying to stay in EV getting up to 20mph. Being able to see the regen braking capacity on the power meter was something I had longed for in the Fusion although the tradeoff is losing battery level meter. I do kind of miss having separate IC screens for the hybrid stuff on one side and climate control on the other, but having a physical knob makes up for it some. Speaking of physical controls finally having a heated steering wheel button instead of being buried in Sync. Being able to load custom wallpapers was a bit neat. The heated steering wheel gets good and toasty fast. I think that was mostly just the older Fusions having conservative heat setpoints which ForScan could have adjusted. People make a lot of fuss about the Maverick rearview camera being bad but I found it equivalent to the Fusion; satisfactory and better than the GMs I've been in. Stock LED headlights are nice although sometimes miss the fog lights. Do wish dimming rear- and sideview mirrors had been on the Lariat or in Luxury Package. Also only get intelligent access on the front so sometimes need to reach forwards to the front handle before opening the rear door.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dad owns a 2019 Fusion Hybrid. He got right in the truck and started driving it like a pro, except for getting used to the brakes. We get similar gas mileage although my Maverick doesn't see any tanks averaging above 45mpg. I think the Mav is partly intended as a Fusion replacement.
You are probably right: Mav = Fusion replacement, especially since you can buy a Mav either as an EB or a hybrid. What Ford might be saying is that we’re not building (many) cars anymore, but we’re not going to desert our customers — hey, try our new small truck; it’s the vehicle of the future especially in the hybrid configuration.

I think the Mav hybrid is also the CMax replacement, too, even though Ford didn’t build many Cmax cars. At least that’s why I’m buying the Mav. (I’m just hoping I’ll outlive the delivery date for my new Mav, whenever that will be.) I’m just happy I have my CMax (getting close to 40 mpg) until the Mav is delivered.

OP
OP

infrno187

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2014 had a better base sound system to my ears than even the B&O. Radio reception with the Fusion sucked compared to the Maverick. Since it didn't have real drive modes it could just stay on Eco although mostly that just tamed the cruise control. Fuel economy is the same (43mpg) even if sometimes I can definitely notice the Maverick's battery capacity having less endurance. The Maverick's engine is quieter and less buzzy than the Fusion especially making passing sound less strained and nearly unnoticeable at cruising. Electric motor power is about the same so it's still a little sluggish trying to stay in EV getting up to 20mph. Being able to see the regen braking capacity on the power meter was something I had longed for in the Fusion although the tradeoff is losing battery level meter. I do kind of miss having separate IC screens for the hybrid stuff on one side and climate control on the other, but having a physical knob makes up for it some. Speaking of physical controls finally having a heated steering wheel button instead of being buried in Sync. Being able to load custom wallpapers was a bit neat. The heated steering wheel gets good and toasty fast. I think that was mostly just the older Fusions having conservative heat setpoints which ForScan could have adjusted. People make a lot of fuss about the Maverick rearview camera being bad but I found it equivalent to the Fusion; satisfactory and better than the GMs I've been in. Stock LED headlights are nice although sometimes miss the fog lights. Do wish dimming rear- and sideview mirrors had been on the Lariat or in Luxury Package. Also only get intelligent access on the front so sometimes need to reach forwards to the front handle before opening the rear door.
This is the kind of information I was hoping for. I really enjoy how much feedback my Fusion gives about my efficiency and driving. It’s definitely what’s helped me get to 45+ MPG drives consistently. My overall average is 41.4, but I had about 15k miles before they updated the software (see early Fusion EPA scandal) and I got a set of tires that didn’t have low rolling resistance once (that hurt avg mpg a lot). But just like some things I have seen on the Maverick, like the fasten seat belt warning that won’t go away, my Fusion has Ford quirks that I have hated since I bought it. Thank you for the detailed run down.

What kind of driver feed backs and modes does the Maverick have? The Fusion has Eco leaves, brake score, real time MPG average in 5/10/15 minute blocks, acceleration and cruising meters (red bad, yellow not good, green good) to help maximize efficiency. Does the Maverick have anything like that? I think I read it has the brake score feature but I haven’t seen any other driver feed back features.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the kind of information I was hoping for. I really enjoy how much feedback my Fusion gives about my efficiency and driving. It’s definitely what’s helped me get to 45+ MPG drives consistently. My overall average is 41.4, but I had about 15k miles before they updated the software (see early Fusion EPA scandal) and I got a set of tires that didn’t have low rolling resistance once (that hurt avg mpg a lot). But just like some things I have seen on the Maverick, like the fasten seat belt warning that won’t go away, my Fusion has Ford quirks that I have hated since I bought it. Thank you for the detailed run down.

What kind of driver feed backs and modes does the Maverick have? The Fusion has Eco leaves, brake score, real time MPG average in 5/10/15 minute blocks, acceleration and cruising meters (red bad, yellow not good, green good) to help maximize efficiency. Does the Maverick have anything like that? I think I read it has the brake score feature but I haven’t seen any other driver feed back features.
All great questions! Love seeing the responces.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For efficiency feedback mostly brake score and EV Coach plus the analog power gauge which is sort of superfluous. There's instant fuel economy as well but you need to flip screens to see it (the Maverick IC really doesn't display as much info at once). The EV Coach screen is similar to the Fusion 'Empower' display mode in showing where in throttle input the ICE will start except it also shows the aforementioned regen limit as well. Much more useful to know when you're going to start using the friction brakes as you're actually braking than getting scored after the fact, IMO. Consequently I don't even have the brake score turned on anymore. Dropped as well is the EV+ mode where it gives you access to extra battery/torque as you approach common destinations.

Maverick has the drive modes which affect the amount of regen and ICE usage (Sport/Tow). Plus 'L' mode functions differently whereas in the Fusion Hybrid it acted like being held in first gear revving high and engine braking considerably. Here it cuts back the throttle input similar to Eco and maximizes off-throttle regen over 30 mph. Sort of a one pedal driving experience but doesn't entirely have the authority that one can go without using the brake pedal (plus it doesn't trigger brake lights).

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are probably right: Mav = Fusion replacement, especially since you can buy a Mav either as an EB or a hybrid. What Ford might be saying is that we’re not building (many) cars anymore, but we’re not going to desert our customers — hey, try our new small truck; it’s the vehicle of the future especially in the hybrid configuration.

I think the Mav hybrid is also the CMax replacement, too, even though Ford didn’t build many Cmax cars. At least that’s why I’m buying the Mav. (I’m just hoping I’ll outlive the delivery date for my new Mav, whenever that will be.) I’m just happy I have my CMax (getting close to 40 mpg) until the Mav is delivered.
Not a terrible way of looking at it. Maverick even rolls down the same assembly line that built Fusions.

Technically, C-Max replaced the original Escape Hybrid. When C-Max was launched in the US market, Escape lost its hybrid option. When C-Max was pulled from the US, they brought back Escape Hybrid, and brought an Escape PHEV to replace C-Max Energi.

OP
OP

infrno187

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For efficiency feedback mostly brake score and EV Coach plus the analog power gauge which is sort of superfluous. There's instant fuel economy as well but you need to flip screens to see it (the Maverick IC really doesn't display as much info at once). The EV Coach screen is similar to the Fusion 'Empower' display mode in showing where in throttle input the ICE will start except it also shows the aforementioned regen limit as well. Much more useful to know when you're going to start using the friction brakes as you're actually braking than getting scored after the fact, IMO. Consequently I don't even have the brake score turned on anymore. Dropped as well is the EV+ mode where it gives you access to extra battery/torque as you approach common destinations.

Maverick has the drive modes which affect the amount of regen and ICE usage (Sport/Tow). Plus 'L' mode functions differently whereas in the Fusion Hybrid it acted like being held in first gear revving high and engine braking considerably. Here it cuts back the throttle input similar to Eco and maximizes off-throttle regen over 30 mph. Sort of a one pedal driving experience but doesn't entirely have the authority that one can go without using the brake pedal (plus it doesn't trigger brake lights).
Is there a noticeable difference in the driving modes? My wife drives a Prius which has ECO, Power and EV only. Trying to drive it in anything other than PWR will likely get you killed IRL 😂, but it is more efficient.

In my Fusion I have never had to use the “L” setting. I assumed that was like the Low gear for pulling something or getting out of mud or ice. Would that be the same thing in the “L” setting on the Maverick Hybrid?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a noticeable difference in the driving modes? My wife drives a Prius which has ECO, Power and EV only. Trying to drive it in anything other than PWR will likely get you killed IRL 😂, but it is more efficient.
Normal/Eco/Slippery aren't that drastically different in drivability other than the tweaks they make to the off-throttle regen and throttle input. Plus Eco tones down the cruise control similar to Eco Cruise on the Fusion. Per that thread Slippery is technically the most efficient (because it coasts more), but since I use cruise control in slightly hilly areas or adjust speed with the switches I don't want the ICE starting unnecessarily in EV; thus Eco for me.

Tow and Sport are basically "damn the efficiency", keeping the ICE running for max power on demand and do some weirder quirks like stepping the eCVT ratio almost like discrete gears.

In my Fusion I have never had to use the “L” setting. I assumed that was like the Low gear for pulling something or getting out of mud or ice. Would that be the same thing in the “L” setting on the Maverick Hybrid?
Correct, that was my experience in how the Fusion's Low mode operated. The Maverick does it differently, but I'd be reiterating my explanation above.

I typically drive with 'L' mode on the Maverick as it simply gives 100% regen braking >40mph just by letting off the throttle without having to worry about overshooting into the friction brakes.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At very low speed (think inching forward in stop and go traffic) the brake pedal is spongy and catches hard sometimes. Not really a big deal. You get used to how to press it.
This,
Be constantly aware of this "feature" or you will rear end someone.
Sponsored