Sponsored

Maverick FX4 off-road capability?

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
So I just updated my order from a hybrid to the Ecoboost with AWD and FX4. I've only owned rear wheel drive trucks, and never done any off-roading, so I'm curious about what the general capabilities of the FX4 will be. I'm assuming I'm not going to go rock crawling or racing in Baja, but what would it's hypothetical limitations be? Sand, mud, steep mountain roads, once in a generation Texas winter apocalypse? Obviously we don't have them yet but it must have some comparable statistics that'll let us ballpark it.

Additionally does anyone know of a good primer for off-roading, especially with a less capable vehicle like the Maverick? I'd expect most are geared towards the jeeps, lifted midsize trucks and broncos of the world.

Lastly, I'm in Texas, and I've been seeing that Texas has OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) parks run by the parks and wildlife department. Does anyone have experience with those and think they'd be a good place to take a Maverick? Which ones if so?
Sponsored

Dbergie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan, Kia
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn’t use the Maverick for anything more than snowy roads, a drive along a beach or your average gravel or dirt road. It’s more of a city driver that has some benefits for when you do get off the road or in the snow.

txmaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6 speed manual
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the few posts I have seen on instagram regarding off road testing , it is more capable then you might think. I saw a guy taking it through some heavy mud and trails and he said they didn't skip a beat. Also preformed well on sand.

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
So I just updated my order from a hybrid to the Ecoboost with AWD and FX4. I've only owned rear wheel drive trucks, and never done any off-roading, so I'm curious about what the general capabilities of the FX4 will be. I'm assuming I'm not going to go rock crawling or racing in Baja, but what would it's hypothetical limitations be? Sand, mud, steep mountain roads, once in a generation Texas winter apocalypse? Obviously we don't have them yet but it must have some comparable statistics that'll let us ballpark it.

Additionally does anyone know of a good primer for off-roading, especially with a less capable vehicle like the Maverick? I'd expect most are geared towards the jeeps, lifted midsize trucks and broncos of the world.

Lastly, I'm in Texas, and I've been seeing that Texas has OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) parks run by the parks and wildlife department. Does anyone have experience with those and think they'd be a good place to take a Maverick? Which ones if so?
Great news that you got the FX4 and 2.0… so you can tow something to the ORV parks. Most of the side by sides are well over $20k now (more than many Mav MSRP) and will be much better suited for trails and serious off roading. The Maverick should do a great job of getting through fire roads, camping areas and bad weather but I wouldn’t take it anywhere overly technical. That is where Jeep’s and SxSs live. I added the tow package to my FX4 in the event a SxS is in my future and I can exceed the 2k tow limit when needed.

Sponsored

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The Maverick should be able to do anything a Forrester/Outback can do. A good channel to watch is softroadingthewest before he got a Frontier on youtube

OP
OP
slashy42

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I'd check to see where people on the bronco sport forums are getting to in their base and big bend models. I assume it'll be pretty close
That is an interesting idea, though I assume they would be able to get into some different terrain as they have better angles. Still, probably a decent place to look!

OP
OP
slashy42

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
The Maverick should be able to do anything a Forrester/Outback can do. A good channel to watch is softroadingthewest before he got a Frontier on youtube
Nice, thank you!

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
That is an interesting idea, though I assume they would be able to get into some different terrain as they have better angles. Still, probably a decent place to look!
Yeah, Maverick is on a longer wheelbase and the bumpers aren't as high clearance as the BS, so approach and departure will be less. But it'll be effectively the same suspension setup and AWD parts so you can gauge traction, durability etc

The BS is basically best in class for offroading and tbh more than enough for most people. If the Maverick is close to it in performance, I think many people will be surprised

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger

I think the biggest thing youll find is the ride height is not going to be what you need for the OHVT here in washington they recommend 33 inch tires for most of the trails i have around me lol

Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ll just wait for the off road reviews once the Maverick is in the hands of the media. Even if it’s not as capable as my Tacoma, that won’t deter me from taking delivery.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you guys think the AWD Maverick would be about equal off-road as maybe the Broncho Sport? Seems almost the same.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Do you guys think the AWD Maverick would be about equal off-road as maybe the Broncho Sport? Seems almost the same.
The non-Badlands Bronco Sport, yes. The Maverick FX4 will seemingly have everything the Badlands does minus the dual clutch rear end that can emulate a locker and split power to both rear wheels.

Basically any unibody suv/ute/truck is limited off-road by their lack of suspension articulation. Meaning you aren't going to be tackling any kind of obstacles other than off camber moguls and whatever the vehicle is tall enough to clear.

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
The Subaru Outback/Crosstrek/Forester all have 8.7" of ground clearance. The Maverick FX4 will have 8.6" of ground clearance. I've got no idea how off-road worthy the FX4's AWD system will be.
Sponsored