Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, maverick asap
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I just updated my order from a hybrid to the Ecoboost with AWD and FX4. I've only owned rear wheel drive trucks, and never done any off-roading, so I'm curious about what the general capabilities of the FX4 will be. I'm assuming I'm not going to go rock crawling or racing in Baja, but what would it's hypothetical limitations be? Sand, mud, steep mountain roads, once in a generation Texas winter apocalypse? Obviously we don't have them yet but it must have some comparable statistics that'll let us ballpark it.

Additionally does anyone know of a good primer for off-roading, especially with a less capable vehicle like the Maverick? I'd expect most are geared towards the jeeps, lifted midsize trucks and broncos of the world.

Lastly, I'm in Texas, and I've been seeing that Texas has OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) parks run by the parks and wildlife department. Does anyone have experience with those and think they'd be a good place to take a Maverick? Which ones if so?
Sponsored

Ken Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
F150, maverick asap
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife and I did some wheeling with a jeep group and found the easiest place to get stuck and the hardest to get out of was sand. If the maverick is good in sand you shouldn't have any problems unless you try climbing over boulders where you don't have enough clearance. The awd will shut down if it overheats to prevent serious damage.

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
Just watch the Bronco Sport off-road vids. Way more capable that I thought, especially the Badlands model which has the 2.0 rather than the 3 cylinder.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The non-Badlands Bronco Sport, yes. The Maverick FX4 will seemingly have everything the Badlands does minus the dual clutch rear end that can emulate a locker and split power to both rear wheels.

Basically any unibody suv/ute/truck is limited off-road by their lack of suspension articulation. Meaning you aren't going to be tackling any kind of obstacles other than off camber moguls and whatever the vehicle is tall enough to clear.
Wonder if a dual clutch rear can be swapped in place of the single clutch later on in the future after people have totaled their Bronco Sports.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Subaru Outback/Crosstrek/Forester all have 8.7" of ground clearance. The Maverick FX4 will have 8.6" of ground clearance. I've got no idea how off-road worthy the FX4's AWD system will be.
Leveling lift kit in the front for FX4 equipped models and some taller tires will do wonders. I want to use mine more for trail riding then 4x4 off-road obstacles.

Sponsored

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Wonder if a dual clutch rear can be swapped in place of the single clutch later on in the future after people have totaled their Bronco Sports.
Anything is possible with time and money lol. Also, you’ll likely need all the switch gear and wiring plus something like Forscan to allow it to sync up to the ecu. You’d be better off just buying a Ranger if you want that level of capability.

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Leveling lift kit in the front for FX4 equipped models and some taller tires will do wonders. I want to use mine more for trail riding then 4x4 off-road obstacles.
This is pretty much what I’ve done with my Outback. It’s gone on all but the most severe Jeep trails in the Phoenix area with absolutely zero problems.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
The Subaru Outback/Crosstrek/Forester all have 8.7" of ground clearance. The Maverick FX4 will have 8.6" of ground clearance. I've got no idea how off-road worthy the FX4's AWD system will be.
Where are you getting 8.6" from FX4? The 8.6" is ONLY when equipped with the 235/65R17 (which just happen to be 0.5" taller than the standard tire size). Thus an FX4, with standard 225/65R17 Pirellis will have the same ground clearance as FWD Hybird, 8.3". The only way to increase ground clearance in stock form is the 235/65R17 tires, FX4 provides 0 increase in ground clearance.

Tech Specs prove my above statements:
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-road capability? 1629510118361

The 0.3" (actual 0.25" increase) is solely from the larger tire.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-road capability? download

This truck can do as much as your wallet will allow you to do.....general rule of offroading ANY VEHICLE
Ford Maverick Maverick FX4 off-road capability? 65506544aea594d3f5ae9a85c77b8231

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Where are you getting 8.6" from FX4? The 8.6" is ONLY when equipped with the 235/65R17 (which just happen to be 0.5" taller than the standard tire size). Thus an FX4, with standard 225/65R17 Pirellis will have the same ground clearance as FWD Hybird, 8.3". The only way to increase ground clearance in stock form is the 235/65R17 tires, FX4 provides 0 increase in ground clearance.

1629510118361.png

How dare you quote Ford!

seriously though I personally do not see the Maverick as a rock crawler, more of a yes I can make it down this dirt road that should be considered washed out but hasn’t been yet, but no crawler. But again, nobody asked me.

Sponsored

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How dare you quote Ford!

seriously though I personally do not see the Maverick as a rock crawler, more of a yes I can make it down this dirt road that should be considered washed out but hasn’t been yet, but no crawler. But again, nobody asked me.
Don’t forget Ford warranties the FX4 version if used for Off Road vs. no warranty using other versions of Maverick without FX4 off roading.

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Personally I don't need it to rock crawl, just need it to deal with mud pits or snow traps on the way to some cool mountain bike trail/camping spot.

Talking about off road anyone knows the brand/model tires used on the maverick, specially the 235 one?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Personally I don't need it to rock crawl, just need it to deal with mud pits or snow traps on the way to some cool mountain bike trail/camping spot.

Talking about off road anyone knows the brand/model tires used on the maverick, specially the 235 one?
Cheapest. I am certain Ford mentions it somewhere, and at this point zi am only convinced that whatever brand/model they say, that won’t be it.

I am convinced that all the marketing materials were developed before production was finalized and before constraints hit.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1629510118361.png

Sir, 235 and 225 are width of the tires in mm. The tires have identical side wall heights = 65mm, both on 17" rims.
Lasty, all FX4 are AWD. The extra height comes from suspension changes not tires.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sir, 235 and 225 are width of the tires in mm. The tires have identical side wall heights = 65mm, both on 17" rims.
Lasty, all FX4 are AWD. The extra height comes from suspension changes not tires.
You are incorrect, sir. A 235 tire and a 225 tire do in fact have different "heights". The poster you quoted is correct. All Mavericks will have the same 8.3" of ground clearance UNLESS fitted with the 235/65R17 Falken Wildpeak tires giving that particular truck 8.6".
Sponsored