Sponsored

Maverick competitors: What will you be cross-shopping?

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Besides the Maverick, I’ll be looking at the other mid sizers for the most part.

Really excited to check out the new Frontier.
Sponsored

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The new Frontier, and as a last resort, a legacy Ridgeline would be my fallbacks. I do like the redesign of the 2021 Ridgeline, but it starting at $40k is just lunacy. Man if Subaru redid the Baja I'd be all over it!

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I were to buy a truck but NOT the Maverick Id consider the current gen Ranger(with the better looking front end), the pre 2019 Frontier(to avoid the new V6 and having no manual or 4 banger options) and thats about it. I love me the single cab F150 also but they're quite rare. I also like the current Ridgeline and the first gen model of it. I dont like the teased redesigned front end on them at all. Just going the third gen Tacoma route it seems. Make it bulky and ugly for literally no reason. The Frontier and new Ranger are doing the same thing.

OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I were to buy a truck but NOT the Maverick Id consider the current gen Ranger(with the better looking front end), the pre 2019 Frontier(to avoid the new V6 and having no manual or 4 banger options) and thats about it. I love me the single cab F150 also but they're quite rare. I also like the current Ridgeline and the first gen model of it. I dont like the teased redesigned front end on them at all. Just going the third gen Tacoma route it seems. Make it bulky and ugly for literally no reason. The Frontier and new Ranger are doing the same thing.
I admit that I'm keeping an eye on prices of pre-facelift Ridgelines and hoping that everyone wants the new ones. I'll take the added visibility of the sloping hood rather the butcher looks of the new one.

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Comes down to price for me. I want a truck that is new or relatively new. Crew cab for car seats. And decent mpg. I’m to the point where it’s Maverick or bust for me. The Ranger is too expensive and I’d rather get a F150 if I’m spending that much money. I want to stick with Ford. I honestly don’t see myself getting anything but the Maverick.

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Comes down to price for me. I want a truck that is new or relatively new. Crew cab for car seats. And decent mpg. I’m to the point where it’s Maverick or bust for me. The Ranger is too expensive and I’d rather get a F150 if I’m spending that much money. I want to stick with Ford. I honestly don’t see myself getting anything but the Maverick.
I'm on the same boat, The colorado doesn't do it for me, F150 is too big, and while the ranger is bigger than something I Would normally get it's just too expensive (but damn does it look good in cactus grey!) The santa cruz is a MAYBE but it also gives me SUV vibes and I might as well get an suv for covered cargo instead...If it's not a Maverick I'll probably be sticking with Mazda or something else exciting to drive

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Maverick, 10 Ranger Sport, 03 VTX1800C
My 2010 Ranger Sport 2WD 4.0/manual has got alot of life left in it... for me, it's MAVERICK or nothing... just finding one optioned for me will be the only question

Reactions: Doc

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm on the same boat, The colorado doesn't do it for me, F150 is too big, and while the ranger is bigger than something I Would normally get it's just too expensive (but damn does it look good in cactus grey!) The santa cruz is a MAYBE but it also gives me SUV vibes and I might as well get an suv for covered cargo instead...If it's not a Maverick I'll probably be sticking with Mazda or something else exciting to drive
I just watched a Bronco Sport walk around and I’m intrigued. Put the back seats down and open the rear window and you now have a “truck like” cargo area big enough to load dimensional lumber 🤷🏽‍♂️

Sponsored

Keynotes13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've thought about that many times. In fact that sort of "make it work" creativeness is how I kept my Subaru Crosstrek for so long doing "truck like" things. I think for me, the biggest benefit to a truck bed is cleanliness though, or lack of. I don't feel as bad loading up my snowy or muddy bike, or leaking bags of mulch, or loads of firewood, or whatever other dirty items in the bed of my truck than I would/did throwing it into the backend of a crossover/SUV. Even with the rubber mats and all that. Just from my perspective. Not everyone is like me.

I've actually found that it was easier to haul lumber with my Crosstrek than it has been with my truck. I used to put the J-cradle style kayak racks on the roof and they were perfect for holding dimensional lumber. Was able to stack the boards high and just strap them to the rack mounts. Probably overloaded the roof rack a few times, but whatever. haha
Oddly enough I’ve heard a lot of people use the crosstrek as you did. I do agree on the cleanliness though. I’d rather keep the cab clean and sacrifice the ease of loading. Plus the Bronco is out of my price range. I’m keeping my limit to $26k

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
Alpha, an EV startup, just announced that they're building a truly small pickup called the Alpha Wolf. It reminds me of an old Toyota SR5, and frankly it looks so damn good that I'll probably have to wait for more details on the Wolf before I'd pull the trigger on a Maverick.

Obviously a full EV is going to be more expensive than the Maverick, but with that near-perfect design (in my eyes) and the 250+ mile range they're talking, I'd probably buy this before anything else on the market (or coming to the market soon). Just have to see how serious and capable this company is about building and selling vehicles.

EDIT to ADD: Starting MSRP US $36,000 to US $46,000 (from the company's website).

https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I generally really like Alpha's designs, but I'd have to see them actually bring something to market before I let them affect my purchasing decisions.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Alpha, an EV startup, just announced that they're building a truly small pickup called the Alpha Wolf. It reminds me of an old Toyota SR5, and frankly it looks so damn good that I'll probably have to wait for more details on the Wolf before I'd pull the trigger on a Maverick.

Obviously a full EV is going to be more expensive than the Maverick, but with that near-perfect design (in my eyes) and the 250+ mile range they're talking, I'd probably buy this before anything else on the market (or coming to the market soon). Just have to see how serious and capable this company is about building and selling vehicles.

EDIT to ADD: Starting MSRP US $36,000 to US $46,000 (from the company's website).

https://www.alphamotorinc.com/wolf
That thing is SWEET. I need a crew cab and something sooner than later, but if I didn’t I’d seriously consider this.
Sponsored