First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manual Maverick.... Never happen. Ford has already spoken; the masses have spoken. Go buy someone else's truck and get what you want.
Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd have to guess Ford is spending their Maverick development $$$ on Plug-in Hybrids, Full Electrics and other future tech, not looking backwards to engineer, certify, market and support a transmission choice that would appeal to less than maybe 5% of the market. I enjoy manual transmissions, too, but wouldn't hold my breath.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I only own manuals except our 2017 Ridgeline. I owned a 1981 4 on the floor that I would still have if not rear ended. Iā€™m torn - I love the idea of a manual but in a truck with AWD for what we use it forā€¦.towing, pulling, and carrying the auto really is the right solution. Iā€™d buy an 1981 F150 manual in a heartbeat if could find one in good shape - this time Iā€™d put on a headrestā€¦took out he back window when it and have at titanium plate in my neck thanks to thatā€¦

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Fleets buy automatics unless they absolutely need to, the inherit cheapness of manuals is countered by economies of scale, and the claims they are safer because "you have to pay attention" are entirely unsupported and largely just masturbatory posturing from "enthusiast."

EDIT: Also, the masses have spoken. They picked automatics.
The masses also pick reality TV for some damn reason. When I was young fleets bought manuals, atleast the ones I saw did. Perhaps there will be a split in the future, the automatic is safer/better crowd will go autonomous and whoever is left will build their own manuals.

I had a manual pickup and I do not agree that they are inherently safer. You can't keep both hands on the wheel if you have to shift.
Most accidents are caused by distracted driving. Having to use both hand to operate the car keeps you engaged. Its one step back and two forward.

I know it wont happen, the world sucks and we have to face it that we probably wont be allowed to go outside much less drive a car in 30 years. For some people keeping our dreams alive is important for our spirit.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The masses also pick reality TV for some damn reason. When I was young fleets bought manuals, atleast the ones I saw did. Perhaps there will be a split in the future, the automatic is safer/better crowd will go autonomous and whoever is left will build their own manuals.

Most accidents are caused by distracted driving. Having to use both hand to operate the car keeps you engaged. Its one step back and two forward.

I know it wont happen, the world sucks and we have to face it that we probably wont be allowed to go outside much less drive a car in 30 years. For some people keeping our dreams alive is important for our spirit.
Having owned a manual, I disagree that shifting makes you less distracted. IMO shifting is just one more distraction.

As for not being allowed to do anything, that will only happen if you don't do anything about it.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Having owned a manual, I disagree that shifting makes you less distracted. IMO shifting is just one more distraction.

As for not being allowed to do anything, that will only happen if you don't do anything about it.
That sounds more like a limited attention ability problem, something that should be developed at a younger age. My first hands on wheel was at 3 years old. At 15 my dad put me through 250 hours of driving instruction instead of the state minimum 40. I eventually taught manueverability sessions to my classmates at 16 when they were failing tests in their junior and senior year. Now I hold Class A CDL with tanker and double/triples endorsements. And can operate most any heavy equipment professionally. When my nephew was 10 my brother had him do the shifting in his mini cooper for him whenever they drove. Now at 18 he is learning to drift miatas. Simply locking kids in back seats 100% of the time an giving them a phone doesnt make a competent adult operator.

As for going outside in 30 years, that comment is more about toxicity of the planet and whatever measures we "do something about it" to mitigate our extinction.

What I am "doing about it" is buying a car that gets 25mpg instead of 10-12mpg like most of mine do. I just wish I could shift the gears while I do it.

I also really really really dont understand why people insist on crushing the wishes and dreams of others with their "I have spoken, I am right, you are wrong" rhetoric. If you have a choice to either say, "i like your dream and wish that too" or "your dream is dumb, get over it". If you dont choose to lift people up why bother to tear them down?

Ohh wait I forgot this is the internet. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: Savages.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Driver's training stopped teaching new learners how to drive a stick like 40 years ago- and Gen X, Z, and millenials don't have a clue. Plus they would rather take Uber instead of even owning/driving a car at all.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Hybrids (and ICEs) work best with CVTs. The entire idea of changing gears is outdated.
The motors in electric cars drive the wheels directly. Many cars today don't even have transmissions.
There's really no reason for a new car today to have 3 pedals.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got rid of my last stick in short time which was an 05 Ranger, what a pain in the ass to text, eat my McD's and drive home at 2 A.M. Essentially it made my driving more distracted lol, plus it sucked in stop and go traffic in the city.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Base could be Hybrid or manual Ecoboost, the step up to automatic then again for all wheel drive, etc....

Would be interesting to see if people are buying hybrid or just cheap

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got rid of my last stick in short time which was an 05 Ranger, what a pain in the ass to text, eat my McD's and drive home at 2 A.M. Essentially it made my driving more distracted lol, plus it sucked in stop and go traffic in the city.
sounds like you actually needed a 3rd hand with that setup - for the Starbucks or beer :LOL:

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That sounds more like a limited attention ability problem, something that should be developed at a younger age. My first hands on wheel was at 3 years old. At 15 my dad put me through 250 hours of driving instruction instead of the state minimum 40. I eventually taught manueverability sessions to my classmates at 16 when they were failing tests in their junior and senior year. Now I hold Class A CDL with tanker and double/triples endorsements. And can operate most any heavy equipment professionally. When my nephew was 10 my brother had him do the shifting in his mini cooper for him whenever they drove. Now at 18 he is learning to drift miatas. Simply locking kids in back seats 100% of the time an giving them a phone doesnt make a competent adult operator.

As for going outside in 30 years, that comment is more about toxicity of the planet and whatever measures we "do something about it" to mitigate our extinction.

What I am "doing about it" is buying a car that gets 25mpg instead of 10-12mpg like most of mine do. I just wish I could shift the gears while I do it.

I also really really really dont understand why people insist on crushing the wishes and dreams of others with their "I have spoken, I am right, you are wrong" rhetoric. If you have a choice to either say, "i like your dream and wish that too" or "your dream is dumb, get over it". If you dont choose to lift people up why bother to tear them down?

Ohh wait I forgot this is the internet. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: Savages.
My comment about manual transmissions is based on a particular emergency incident that occurred when driving that vehicle. I got caught downshifting when suddenly the guy in front of me swerved in heavy traffic and made me swerve with one hand on the wheel. It was my first vehicle, but I learned to drive on a manual and had driven it for years. I wish my dad had started me driving at age 3 but not everyone can be that lucky.

It would be nice if Ford would offer options like a single cab or manual transmission; other folks have expressed their desire for those features, it just doesn't seem like a big enough market for them to invest in the tooling.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manual transmission?

Crank start or go home.

šŸ˜„

Rob Daman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
robdaman.com
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Manuals back in the day used to be fuel savers...now they're fun savers but less and less folks know how to drive one.
Sponsored