Sponsored

Katzkin leather seat upgrade

Are you going to add leather seats? If so will it be katzkin or another?

• Total voters
OP
OP
04mach146

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
I'm really happy with the Active-X seats in both my Escape & Edge, so while Katzkin leather is nice, I'd like to see them offer some alternative materials.

HRG
They have synthetic leathers, suede, synthetic alligator Hyde and a few others
Sponsored

BigDinTX

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot (ex wife's, not my choice)
It seems logical that there is "low interest" from consumers since the trucks have hardly arrived. I will be at SEMA next month and will bend their ears in person.
Bend their ears, man! Bend them all!!! :D

Dandylion

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Fit, 2007 Chev Silverado
I love the saddle brown made for the Ram by Katzkin. I contacted them via email 10-15-2021 at their website to ask when they would have their products available for the Maverick and if I could get the saddle brown with a desert stitching. I'm torn between black with red stitching and the saddle brown. No word yet.

Here are some I like.
1634739638948.png

1634738811481.png
1634739068355.png
So what do you think?
I saw a new Ram truck last year that a Ram dealer had installed the Katzkin leather to replace the cloth seats, and it looked really great. Like the pics show, in person they appeared like factory leather seats! (They were very tight-fitting without bunching or loose areas.)

Oceanminded

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mazda CX-5, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does Katzkin need to officially offer them for the Maverick or can a dealer with an aftermarket shop install if going custom off the Katzkin website?

OP
OP
04mach146

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does Katzkin need to officially offer them for the Maverick or can a dealer with an aftermarket shop install if going custom off the Katzkin website?
They have to have the template. I went through my dealers installer picked out what I want as materials colors and designs but katzskin has to have the pattern. Basically we customize the design of the pattern through our installer then they order it from Katzkin and install it when it arrives.

Sponsored

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm seriously considering Katzin seats but haven't made a decision yet. I do love real leather and would prefer it to any of the synthetic products. I'm just trying to make up my mind on whether the price is worth it.

If you are concerned about the ethics of leather, it is worth noting that the leather supply is completely determined by the beef market. Nobody grows cows for leather. Recently there has been a decrease in interest in natural leathers, so there has actually been a surplus of hides (I read this a couple years ago, not sure if it has changed in the last couple years). When demand is higher there isn't really an increase in supply to match it--instead prices go up and some products stop using leather and balance is restored. So the question isn't really whether a cow will die to supply your car seats, but rather will the hide from the cow that was raised for beef go to your car or to a sofa or to some shoes.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw a new Ram truck last year that a Ram dealer had installed the Katzkin leather to replace the cloth seats, and it looked really great. Like the pics show, in person they appeared like factory leather seats! (They were very tight-fitting without bunching or loose areas.)
I had a 2006 F-150 King Ranch which came with saddle leather interior. I loved it because it would show every scratch and aged just like my Bully Good saddle by Billie Cook. I had it since 1977 and it's almost broken in good.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I was in high school we took our car seats to MEXICO for tuck and pleat.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How much do they cost?
The Saddleback quote from Katzkin is $2000 installed. Black with blue stitching is $1600. I'm reasonably sure they will be available at other outlets for much less. I saw a set of Saddleback for a F150 on eBay for $975 without installation.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've seen Katzkin in other trucks and have been seriously impressed by not just the quality of the leather but the install and how well they fit and look stock.

I was dead set on replacing the cloth in the XL with the Katzkin but after test driving the XL recently and feeling the cloth - I'm willing to let them wear in a bit and see how it feels. Was impressed at the initial quality and supportiveness of the seats.

That being said - I'd like to toss some heated seats in there as well so the Katzkin might be coming as a byproduct.

Didn't make the jump to XLT because of the orange and blue interior combined with the value prop of the XL. I knew I could get the Katzkin, heated seats, paint protection, and underbody coating for the cost of the XLT and avoid those ugly colors.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm considering it, if the Degreez system is compatible with the maverick. I need ventilated seats and my wife needs heated seats and I ordered an XL.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are these basically leather custom covers or do they actually reupholster the seats? They look nice in the pics either way.

OP
OP
04mach146

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are these basically leather custom covers or do they actually reupholster the seats? They look nice in the pics either way.
I They remove the cloth and put these over it is technically a cover but it's is attached just like the factory cloth seat cover.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I They remove the cloth and put these over it is technically a cover but it's is attached just like the factory cloth seat cover.
So you have to go in to the shop, it's not a mail order DIY deal. Gotcha.
Sponsored