Junk in the trunk?

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Those larger fender flares are optional. It is part of their HPD Package(s). They are not standard and can be had without such.
Actually the fender flares are standard.

Motor Trend just published all the details saying it will be on dealers lots in Feb
Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Actually the fender flares are standard.

Motor Trend just published all the details saying it will be on dealers lots in Feb
Its standard as part of their HPD Package.

Ridgelines that are not equipped with the HPD Package are equipped with much thinner plastic cladding around the lower areas and wheel wells as per previous years.

I usually go right to the source; Honda Newsroom. They show a few Sport trim levels as I indicated above. Follow the link and navigate to photos.

2021 Honda Ridgeline Press Photos

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Its standard as part of their HPD Package.

Ridgelines that are not equipped with the HPD Package are equipped with much thinner plastic cladding around the lower areas and wheel wells as per previous years.

I usually go right to the source; Honda Newsroom. They show a few Sport trim levels as I indicated above. Follow the link and navigate to photos.

2021 Honda Ridgeline Press Photos
My bad... but ew... it looks just as emasculated wo them as mine does. Yikes!

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
My bad... but ew... it looks just as emasculated wo them as mine does. Yikes!
It still could use some work in the styling department, but to me, much better than it was previously. I'm not a fan of the HPD package either, especially the fender flares. I do like the specific grille treatment though.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It still could use some work in the styling department, but to me, much better than it was previously. I'm not a fan of the HPD package either, especially the fender flares. I do like the specific grille treatment though.
Honda just needs to man-up and build a real truck or just give it up. Even the VW EVP recognizes the "Ridgeline problem" in the article below. Instead VW is going to build a real pickup on the new Ranger platform under their agreement with Ford.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32166/volkswagen-doesnt-want-the-honda-ridgeline-problem

Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Honda just needs to man-up and build a real truck or just give it up. Even the VW EVP recognizes the "Ridgeline problem" in the article below. Instead VW is going to build a real pickup on the new Ranger platform under their agreement with Ford.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32166/volkswagen-doesnt-want-the-honda-ridgeline-problem
Honda has a niche vehicle, and those that own them speak highly of them. The real issue is with the consumer not realistically assessing their needs. With that said, many seem to up-purchase trucks for the thought of potentially needing to utilize the higher capacities, when most don't or ever will. It's just the way it is, and there is nothing wrong with that. Most that are true to their needs would gravitate toward such product.

One could argue why be interested in a Ford Maverick if a real truck is BoF construction? Honda is using the platform across many different vehicles, so in their eyes, they don't need to man-up. They print money from those vehicles just like Ford prints money from their cash-cow F-150; just a different way of achieving profits. Most manufacturers are going toward shared scalable platforms. Some are late to the game while others have been perfecting for quite some time now.

The Maverick could appeal to me personally for many specific reasons from what I see so far. I am a very particular buyer and would not hesitate to purchase a fully loaded Maverick if I can check all my boxes, even if the price overlaps a mid-level Ranger, and low-mid level F-150. Missing a few of my must haves, it is game over and I am down the road at the next dealership that offers a product closer to my needs. Zero brand loyalty here.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Honda has a niche vehicle, and those that own them speak highly of them. The real issue is with the consumer not realistically assessing their needs. With that said, many seem to up-purchase trucks for the thought of potentially needing to utilize the higher capacities, when most don't or ever will. It's just the way it is, and there is nothing wrong with that. Most that are true to their needs would gravitate toward such product.

One could argue why be interested in a Ford Maverick if a real truck is BoF construction? Honda is using the platform across many different vehicles, so in their eyes, they don't need to man-up. They print money from those vehicles just like Ford prints money from their cash-cow F-150; just a different way of achieving profits. Most manufacturers are going toward shared scalable platforms. Some are late to the game while others have been perfecting for quite some time now.

The Maverick could appeal to me personally for many specific reasons from what I see so far. I am a very particular buyer and would not hesitate to purchase a fully loaded Maverick if I can check all my boxes, even if the price overlaps a mid-level Ranger, and low-mid level F-150. Missing a few of my must haves, it is game over and I am down the road at the next dealership that offers a product closer to my needs. Zero brand loyalty here.
ā€œThe consumer Not realistically assessing their needsā€ - Exactly to my point!

To be successful, a company needs to build what the consumer wants, not what the manufacturer thinks they need!

Thatā€™s why the Ridgeline remains an enigma. I have a 2019 RTL-E. Thereā€™s a couple of smart things (like the in bed trunk), but there are many things that make it unusable... for instance why does a little Subaru Crosstrek have an inch more of ground clearance and is more off-road capable? I mean, thatā€™s just an embarrassment.

The Maverick may be unibody, but itā€™s a hardened unibody w off-road chops as demonstrated by Car & Driver and the Bronco Sport Badlands.

Honda hasnā€™t done any of that kind of homework.

Although it has a purported 5500 lb. Towing capacity, my transmission overheated towing a 3900 lb. boat and trailer on a 100Ā° day. Thatā€™s simply unacceptable.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
ā€œThe consumer Not realistically assessing their needsā€ - Exactly to my point!

To be successful, a company needs to build what the consumer wants, not what the manufacturer thinks they need!

Thatā€™s why the Ridgeline remains an enigma. I have a 2019 RTL-E. Thereā€™s a couple of smart things (like the in bed trunk), but there are many things that make it unusable... for instance why does a little Subaru Crosstrek have an inch more of ground clearance and is more off-road capable? I mean, thatā€™s just an embarrassment.

The Maverick may be unibody, but itā€™s a hardened unibody w off-road chops as demonstrated by Car & Driver and the Bronco Sport Badlands.

Honda hasnā€™t done any of that kind of homework.

Although it has a purported 5500 lb. Towing capacity, my transmission overheated towing a 3900 lb. boat and trailer on a 100Ā° day. Thatā€™s simply unacceptable.
Iā€™m in similar situation, I leased a 2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4X4 due to it being my first truck. I kept my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan (purchased new) in the event I didnā€™t like the truck. After 2.5 years and slightly less than 20,000 miles, it has many negative nuances that are beginning to outweigh the positives for my use cycle. Itā€™s on-road vehicle dynamics are barely acceptable. Itā€™s powertrain and power delivery is unnatural. My use case is 99.9% on-road and not nearly the amount of off-road that I imagined. Any off-road I did so far could have been done with my Civic, no joke. I also have a 1.7 mile commute to work and my fuel economy, although not a primary issue, is really lacking with my drive cycle and is a consideration. I also couldnā€™t imagine towing a travel trailer that is at or over 5,000lbs when it is able to tow 6,400lbs.

Everyone seems to want a single cab, 8 ft bed truck that gets 35 mpg, goes off-road, for $19K, manual transmission, but the manufacturers donā€™t provide such configuration because it doesnā€™t sell to be profitable for them. Enthusiasts may think they donā€™t provide what they want, but in reality they are providing exactly what most want. Someone is always going to be left out. Their job is to sell to the majority.

I expect the Maverick will also come host of compromises. It will either be less off-road capable or less towing such as 3,000-3,500 lbs or the average price will be around $30K for the one most want with option packages or smaller (or larger) than what some are seeking. One thing Ford has going for itself is that they know trucks and they know how to sell them.

One thing Iā€™ve learned of the truck segment (sans fullsize half-ton; you want the moon?... itā€™s available, basically) is that there are many compromises and not to wait too long or expect unrealistic as that sets one up to be disappointed.

Iā€™m cautiously optimistic about the Maverick as far as my personal criteria.

OP
OP

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
Super cab, front wheel drive, 5ft bed, six speed, and no computer screen. Real gauges. and a privacy glass. A loafering mans truck. a diy friendly truck. I want racks and shelves behind my seat for random tools, and oddities. Cheap reliable dicken off truck.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Super cab, front wheel drive, 5ft bed, six speed, and no computer screen. Real gauges. and a privacy glass. A loafering mans truck. a diy friendly truck. I want racks and shelves behind my seat for random tools, and oddities. Cheap reliable dicken off truck.
Doubt youā€™ll no computer screen. Required fir Apple CarPlay which is now a requirement in just about any vehicle.

we already pretty much know it will be Supercrew only.

Sponsored

J_Garn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m in similar situation, I leased a 2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4X4 due to it being my first truck. I kept my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan (purchased new) in the event I didnā€™t like the truck. After 2.5 years and slightly less than 20,000 miles, it has many negative nuances that are beginning to outweigh the positives for my use cycle. Itā€™s on-road vehicle dynamics are barely acceptable. Itā€™s powertrain and power delivery is unnatural. My use case is 99.9% on-road and not nearly the amount of off-road that I imagined. Any off-road I did so far could have been done with my Civic, no joke. I also have a 1.7 mile commute to work and my fuel economy, although not a primary issue, is really lacking with my drive cycle and is a consideration. I also couldnā€™t imagine towing a travel trailer that is at or over 5,000lbs when it is able to tow 6,400lbs....

I think you're pretty spot on with a lot of your points, and I should be ready to spend on the higher-end of $20k's to have my Maverick outfitted to limit the amount of compromises I'm willing to make for my needs. Thankfully, a total price of ~$29,000 actually feels pretty fair to me if it checks most every box I want from a vehicle. I almost bought a 2010 Ranger, but then realized if I'm going to spend another ~$200 a month for a second vehicle just to meet my weekend needs, I might as well put that towards 1 single vehicle to meet all my needs.

That was my real disappointment with the Ridgeline. When I first saw that Super Bowl commercial for it I remember saying "FINALLY", then once driving it I was left so "meh". I loved that I sat in it and everything felt like an SUV the road, but then realized how weirdly low the ground clearance was whenever I needed to pull up to the side of the river with deep, weathered tire tracks all around. I loved that it had in-bed storage, but hated how overly wide and long the vehicle felt while trying to just pull into a parking spot to run in and grab some food. Then, finally, a sticker price at nearly $40k was just a no-go. It looked good on paper, but just didn't deliver in real life use for me.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think you're pretty spot on with a lot of your points, and I should be ready to spend on the higher-end of $20k's to have my Maverick outfitted to limit the amount of compromises I'm willing to make for my needs. Thankfully, a total price of ~$29,000 actually feels pretty fair to me if it checks most every box I want from a vehicle. I almost bought a 2010 Ranger, but then realized if I'm going to spend another ~$200 a month for a second vehicle just to meet my weekend needs, I might as well put that towards 1 single vehicle to meet all my needs.

That was my real disappointment with the Ridgeline. When I first saw that Super Bowl commercial for it I remember saying "FINALLY", then once driving it I was left so "meh". I loved that I sat in it and everything felt like an SUV the road, but then realized how weirdly low the ground clearance was whenever I needed to pull up to the side of the river with deep, weathered tire tracks all around. I loved that it had in-bed storage, but hated how overly wide and long the vehicle felt while trying to just pull into a parking spot to run in and grab some food. Then, finally, a sticker price at nearly $40k was just a no-go. It looked good on paper, but just didn't deliver in real life use for me.
I own a 2019 Ridgeline, and those are my thoughts EXACTLY. Iā€™m glad someone else realized how hard it it to maneuver this thing. I have the same problems getting in and out of parking spots with it, and Iā€™ve driven full-size pickups as well as other midsize and never had this problem.

I also did $8,000 worth of damage when I had to swerve slightly off a mountain road due to a large truck coming in the opposite direction. Thereā€™s was a rock protruding from the ground and it was not very big at all. Both trucks in front of me (an F-150 and a Tacoma) easily cleared the small rock. Not the Ridgeline... šŸ˜ 

ground clearance is so low that it actually bent my running board too! šŸ˜ 
Sponsored