Junk in the trunk?

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
I wonder if this will have a trunk under the load floor like a ridgeline?

Also if ford doesn't make it in a super cab with a 5 or 6 speed stick. They have completely missed the mark. I don't need a six foot bed, but I know I'm not the only one that wants a truck just for hauling myself, and the random junk I happen to come across in life. I love the leaked photo of the front end, and the styling I've seen of it thus far. However if ford is worrying about the numbers. They need a super cab, and a stick. The people that wont give up their old Pre2012 rangers are in the market, but their needs arnt being met. I'm a ford customer. I'm also a ford salesman at a dealership here in the south, but the first maker to produce a truck in the parameters stated above is gonna get my money. I dont want to drive a chevy, but if they bring over the Montana from central America they gonna get my money. I'm sure others feel the same way too, or am I alone?
Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I wonder if this will have a trunk under the load floor like a ridgeline?

Also if ford doesn't make it in a super cab with a 5 or 6 speed stick. They have completely missed the mark. I don't need a six foot bed, but I know I'm not the only one that wants a truck just for hauling myself, and the random junk I happen to come across in life. I love the leaked photo of the front end, and the styling I've seen of it thus far. However if ford is worrying about the numbers. They need a super cab, and a stick. The people that wont give up their old Pre2012 rangers are in the market, but their needs arnt being met. I'm a ford customer. I'm also a ford salesman at a dealership here in the south, but the first maker to produce a truck in the parameters stated above is gonna get my money. I dont want to drive a chevy, but if they bring over the Montana from central America they gonna get my money. I'm sure others feel the same way too, or am I alone?
I also want a real 4WD system, not an AWD. I would love a stick, but have already given up on it since they didn't have the option in the Ranger

OP
OP

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
I also want a real 4WD system, not an AWD. I would love a stick, but have already given up on it since they didn't have the option in the Ranger

I would think the range will have a stick in the new 2022 line. depending on how the sales are for the full size broncos. Doesn't make sense to use the same 2.3 engine with optional stick in one and not the other.

The internet got a stick in the bronco we can get it in new trucks too if we make enough noise.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Id love everything you just said but i really don't think ANY of it will happen. The manual just isn't a big enough seller and as far as I know they don't offer it in any of the chassis's that the Maverick shares.

As sad as it is (and yes, i loathe it too), the crew cab is the only way people buy trucks anymore. Its been a steady decline of non crew cabs for years now and based on the spy shots taken there isn't a shred of evidence they're planning anything but the crew. That being said though, i don't absolutely hate the size of the Maverick back seat based on the bare metal spy shots. That back door looks fairly tiny and the back seat cant be all that big or comfortable. I think they aimed for a bit more bed space by cutting the rear seat space honestly, which is obviously the preferable layout. More bed, less useless rear seat space. The bed itself surprised me, Its a bit more substantial than I expected.

As far as the underbed storage i dont think thats happening based on the bare metal unibody shot either. Not enough room and it wouldnt make sense to have two different unibody chassis's to accommodate it. All the spy shots just show off a normal bed and the under-body shots show there isnt much for spare room down the with the sub-frames and everything under the bed.

Then as far as 4WD vs AWD, the all wheel drive is fine for the most part and IF done well can be brilliant. For example Id take a manual transmission Subaru over any of the 4wd vehciles Ive owned in the past. The 50/50 torque split through the manual transmission on them is absolutely sublime. Our Outback wagon was an utter tank with its AWD. I dont think Ford uses anything as cool or beefy as that though. I assume Ford is just front wheel drive most of the time then it transfers power if slipping is detected. Its a "fancier" system technically speaking i guess, but id take the system Subaru used in their manual models anyday. I think the automatic Subarus use the more normal "fancy" setup like Fords. Front wheel drive only until slipping is detected. Its just a meh way to do the all wheel drive, especially when you could do a real 50/50 power split continuously. As far as 4wd is concerned, its only superior in off road settings. Its an inherently "dumb" system and without some way to lock the axles you're only getting 2 wheels powered with it on, one front and one back. Build an offroader with 4x4 and lockers and its great but for any sort of on road driving Id take an AWD system without any hesitation.

Like Ive said before on here, I think people are setting some of their expectations WAY too high for this thing and they're just gonna be disappointed. For me though? If I can get a somewhat usable bed (yes, even if i have to settle for the crappier crew cab setup), with the 2.0 ecoboost engine Ill be perfectly content. I just want a small, cheap, no frills, basic truck like the old Rangers. If i can toss a ladder rack/roof rack combo on it to move longer lumber pieces it will suffice for about 99% of my needs.

OP
OP

Charcoal

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F150 and Kia forte
Id love everything you just said but i really don't think ANY of it will happen. The manual just isn't a big enough seller and as far as I know they don't offer it in any of the chassis's that the Maverick shares.

As sad as it is (and yes, i loathe it too), the crew cab is the only way people buy trucks anymore. Its been a steady decline of non crew cabs for years now and based on the spy shots taken there isn't a shred of evidence they're planning anything but the crew. That being said though, i don't absolutely hate the size of the Maverick back seat based on the bare metal spy shots. That back door looks fairly tiny and the back seat cant be all that big or comfortable. I think they aimed for a bit more bed space by cutting the rear seat space honestly, which is obviously the preferable layout. More bed, less useless rear seat space. The bed itself surprised me, Its a bit more substantial than I expected.

As far as the underbed storage i dont think thats happening based on the bare metal unibody shot either. Not enough room and it wouldnt make sense to have two different unibody chassis's to accommodate it. All the spy shots just show off a normal bed and the under-body shots show there isnt much for spare room down the with the sub-frames and everything under the bed.

Then as far as 4WD vs AWD, the all wheel drive is fine for the most part and IF done well can be brilliant. For example Id take a manual transmission Subaru over any of the 4wd vehciles Ive owned in the past. The 50/50 torque split through the manual transmission on them is absolutely sublime. Our Outback wagon was an utter tank with its AWD. I dont think Ford uses anything as cool or beefy as that though. I assume Ford is just front wheel drive most of the time then it transfers power if slipping is detected. Its a "fancier" system technically speaking i guess, but id take the system Subaru used in their manual models anyday. I think the automatic Subarus use the more normal "fancy" setup like Fords. Front wheel drive only until slipping is detected. Its just a meh way to do the all wheel drive, especially when you could do a real 50/50 power split continuously. As far as 4wd is concerned, its only superior in off road settings. Its an inherently "dumb" system and without some way to lock the axles you're only getting 2 wheels powered with it on, one front and one back. Build an offroader with 4x4 and lockers and its great but for any sort of on road driving Id take an AWD system without any hesitation.

Like Ive said before on here, I think people are setting some of their expectations WAY too high for this thing and they're just gonna be disappointed. For me though? If I can get a somewhat usable bed (yes, even if i have to settle for the crappier crew cab setup), with the 2.0 ecoboost engine Ill be perfectly content. I just want a small, cheap, no frills, basic truck like the old Rangers. If i can toss a ladder rack/roof rack combo on it to move longer lumber pieces it will suffice for about 99% of my needs.

Think it would be a good idea to start a petition to make the maverick in a super cab with a stick shift? I want a roughly 6.5 ft truck akin to the doge rampage, or brat from the 80s. Just better because its a ford.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Are you kidding? The new 4WD setups are much more sophisticated than days gone by, and are more of a hybrid.

I need to be able to go off-road, so I’m hoping Car & Driver is correct when they say this could be the first “real” compact truck!

GOAT mode on the AWD system from the Bronco Sport might be acceptable (C&D was really impressed with it.

Here’s a reminder as to why you want 4WD. 😁

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
I think Ford knows that the Maverick/Bronco Sport will spend 95% of their lives on pavement. The AWD makes more sense for these type of vehicles. Unfortunately gone are the days of people taking their 80's/90's small truck true off-roading, mudding, etc... This truck's target demographic is commuters who want some of the capabilities of a truck for the weekends [camping, overlanding, hauling their utv/boat, getting materials for a diy home project]. The market for true off-roading vehicles is wider now than in the past [UTV's, specific built rigs for rock crawling, mudding, hunting etc...]. Would a true 4WD Maverick sell...yes, but not in the numbers Ford would need to justify it. Just my opinion.

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
Let me add that i have been impressed with all the videos & reports on the Bronco Sport AWD with GOAT mode & what it has been capable of. It seems they have beat that thing & so far it seems to be taking most of it.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think Ford knows that the Maverick/Bronco Sport will spend 95% of their lives on pavement. The AWD makes more sense for these type of vehicles. Unfortunately gone are the days of people taking their 80's/90's small truck true off-roading, mudding, etc... This truck's target demographic is commuters who want some of the capabilities of a truck for the weekends [camping, overlanding, hauling their utv/boat, getting materials for a diy home project]. The market for true off-roading vehicles is wider now than in the past [UTV's, specific built rigs for rock crawling, mudding, hunting etc...]. Would a true 4WD Maverick sell...yes, but not in the numbers Ford would need to justify it. Just my opinion.
If that were true, Honda would be selling TONS of Ridgelines!

There are things I love about my 2019 Ridgeline, but AWD (and the insufficient ground clearance) is one of the things I hate.

It’s not supposed to be a “car”, it supposed to be a truck. A “real” truck.

The lesson of the Honda Ridgeline is; a manufacturer trying to dictate to the buyer what they need, vs. building what they want.

Reactions: Doc
Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
No disrespect, but i think the Honda Ridgeline has a stigma that's in the minds of the average buyer. I know that multiple auto magazines/websites love it. It seems most owners love it. We all know you can drive a Honda forever.

In the mind of a "truck" buyer: I think the look of it isn't in their wheelhouse. I think the price tag is another. The base model is around $35K. You can get an almost fully equipped Ranger, Tacoma, etc.. for that price. The new stripped base F150 is around $29K. Then there is the anti unibody crowd. Don't agree with them, but that is their argument. For whatever reason with the exception of the Tacoma foreign trucks do not sell as well in the US. It seems "truck" buyers look for the history/lineage for whatever reason. I see more small SUV's/Subaru Wagons off pavement than Ridgelines. That could be due to numbers, or the issues you stated above, but most of them have the same setup [AWD/ground clearance].

I don't know why, but it seems that the idea of a small unibody truck that looks more like a "truck" & speculation of a lower price has us all interested. Im sure it exists, but im not joining a Hyundai Santa Cruz forum cause i have zero interest in it like i do the Maverick for the reasons above.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
No disrespect, but i think the Honda Ridgeline has a stigma that's in the minds of the average buyer. I know that multiple auto magazines/websites love it. It seems most owners love it. We all know you can drive a Honda forever.

In the mind of a "truck" buyer: I think the look of it isn't in their wheelhouse. I think the price tag is another. The base model is around $35K. You can get an almost fully equipped Ranger, Tacoma, etc.. for that price. The new stripped base F150 is around $29K. Then there is the anti unibody crowd. Don't agree with them, but that is their argument. For whatever reason with the exception of the Tacoma foreign trucks do not sell as well in the US. It seems "truck" buyers look for the history/lineage for whatever reason. I see more small SUV's/Subaru Wagons off pavement than Ridgelines. That could be due to numbers, or the issues you stated above, but most of them have the same setup [AWD/ground clearance].

I don't know why, but it seems that the idea of a small unibody truck that looks more like a "truck" & speculation of a lower price has us all interested. Im sure it exists, but im not joining a Hyundai Santa Cruz forum cause i have zero interest in it like i do the Maverick for the reasons above.
The Ranger Lariat costs MORE than the Ridgeline RTL-E ( I owned both, I had to get rid of my Ranger due to a personal tragedy. I had the Lariat w every option and loved it. It only had 2400 miles on it. The only dealer who would work a decent trade was the Honda dealer as they were desperate to sell Ridgelines. My Ranger was sold before I left the showroom) My Ranger Lariat was about the same price as the Ridgeline Black edition. The only way to get leather seats in the Ranger is to get the Lariat edition which is what the Honda’s come with.

If you think you can get a loaded Ranger or Tacoma for $35K, I want to shop at the dealers near you! 😆

I’m hoping for a Maverick Lariat, 4WD and towing of at least 5,000 lb

as far as the look of the Ridgeline, it’s called “emasculated “. 😆

That’s why they just redid it for a more Truck-like look

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
You are right. My bad.

The Ranger & Tacoma can be higher. That is my fault. You can get the Ranger Lariat loaded for around that price in this area if you drive out of the city. I forgot the Tacoma had a Limited & TRD Pro versions. Was thinking it stopped with the TRD Off Road.

I doubt the Maverick will be able to tow that much, but man i hope so. I'm thinking they will offer a fully loaded Lariat model just based on the fact that that bare metal body had a sunroof. I am liking that aftermarket companies are jumping on the Bronco Sport bandwagon that should hopefully be able to be shared with the Maverick. That will help with ground clearance issues.

I like the new nose of the Ridgeline, but man those fender flares. I'm tired of all vehicles & the amount of cheap off-color plastic at the base & wheel wells. I know why they do it, but personally i do not like it.

Reactions: Doc

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I like the new nose of the Ridgeline, but man those fender flares. I'm tired of all vehicles & the amount of cheap off-color plastic at the base & wheel wells. I know why they do it, but personally i do not like it.
Those larger fender flares are optional. It is part of their HPD Package(s). They are not standard and can be had without such.
Sponsored

Last edited: