Sponsored

The Maverick is a $20,000 piece of junk (not 😉)

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford just went back to the old days of the 50/60/70's when the base truck had a heater, AM radio, cheap plastic seats and a steering wheel. Everything else was an option.

Oh, I forget the mandatory cigarette lighter and ash tray.
My grandfather's '73 F-100 came with a radio and cigarette lighter delete. So you could strip them down even further. Also didn't have carpet- just rubber floor mats like Chevy's W/T fleet package. Have too bad a day on the farm, just pull the mats out and hose them off.

I really just wanted a 'stripper' model without the tech features, and preferred the spartan base interior. To be honest, the fact I can have a keyed ignition, plain back window, manual locking tailgate, manual side windows and no windshield sensors is a big seller to me.
Heck, a turbo, tow package an AWD for $25k?! That's taking advantage of Ford cranking out base hybrids to drive down their corporate MPG's.
Agreed. The price alone makes the XL worth it, even with the upgrades for 4k.
Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The base model makes for a good work truck for those who don't need the larger bed and hauling capacity of a Ranger or F-150.

And you know something? That's most businesses. And even though they won't admit it, it's most contractors. Most of them don't haul ten foot studs and 4x10 sheets of drywall very often and many of them who use those get it delivered to the job site.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a pretty basic XL Hybrid, the only "upgrade" being the Co-Pilot 360. Most other things I want, (Spray-In Bedliner, Hard-Folding Tonneau, maybe upgraded wheels/tires, can be added if/when I want using aftermarket, (and typically far less expensive) parts later as I like. Being able to customize a base model with just what I want and can afford is far preferable for me than having to pay more upfront for stuff I really don't want or need. It was the low $20K price of the Maverick XL that was the attraction and the idea of saving even more down the line with a Hybrid.

TerryWalker

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD
"The Maverick is a $20,000 truck, so it's a disposable piece of junk."

At least that's what a few people have been loudly proclaiming to dismiss the Maverick. Even when someone has a loaded Maverick costing $40,000+, there's always the critic who claims that it's actually a $20,000 truck, but with expensive trinkets.

But the Maverick isn't a $20,000 truck. It's actually a $30,000 truck.

Edit: Bear with me a moment while I explain what this means.

Yes, the published price for a base XL is $20,000. But that's because the things that come standard with most "base" $30,000 vehicles have been stripped off to make the XL Maverick $10,000 less expensive. Add back that standard "base" stuff, like aluminum wheels, defrosters, power mirrors, fancier electronics, navigation, AWD, cruise control, etc., and you're quickly back to $30,000+. What Ford didn't strip was the engine, drivetrain, body, paint, load capacity, or other core components. In other words, the $20,000 XL is really a stripped-down "standard" $30,000 AWD XLT.

On the other end of the price spectrum, most $30,000 vehicles can easily be gussied up to $40,000 vehicles--just like the Maverick can--by adding luxury features, fancier paint, etc. The Lariat trim with lux is essentially a $10,000 add-on, similar to the pricing tiers for Ford's other trucks.

In short, the "stripped" XL Maverick costs $20,000, while "base" Maverick costs $30,000. The "loaded" Maverick costs $40,000+.

I love my $20,000 XL, in no small part because it's a $30,000 vehicle stripped of the stuff that manufactures typically make non-optional when they sell vehicles for $30,000+. All the good stuff remains, without the extras. Very few manufactures, including Ford, offer stripped-down trims of their $30,000 vehicles these days--which is one of the things that makes the Maverick such an incredible bargain.

So, enough of the argument that, “the Maverick is a $20,000 truck, so it's a disposable piece of junk.” If that were true, pretty much every "base" $30,000 vehicle deserves the same dismissal. But most base $30,000 vehicles are actually pretty decent, just like the Maverick.

When you place your logic in a manner such as this, it's an argument that naysayers probably won't have a response to.

Sponsored

DADDY DON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Ford just went back to the old days of the 50/60/70's when the base truck had a heater, AM radio, cheap plastic seats and a steering wheel. Everything else was an option.

Oh, I forget the mandatory cigarette lighter and ash tray.
I remember a cigarette lighter and ashtray being standard, but a clock was extra,

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don’t think the maverick is a piece of junk, far from it. But it is a 20k truck to me that’s meant to be used as a sedan mostly which gets good mileage and can do some minor truck things when need be that three times a year it’s convenient. It’s a cheap daily driver. At the 20-30k market it’s a good buy. Anything over 30 to me, it’s not worth it. Actually closer to about 27-28k is the limit for me. It’s a cheap throwaway when your done practical daily but it’s far from a piece of junk.

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember a cigarette lighter and ashtray being standard, but a clock was extra,
Ohmigawd, clocks. Wind- up, electric wind- up, or just flat electric?

I ask because my Karmann Ghia had a (non- working) clock that has some automatic winding mechanism that would draw power from the battery for less than a second. It made this super faint click that you'd only hear if you were in an almost completely silent room.

Mine didn't work, of course, so I swapped it out for an oil pressure gauge. And I'd had plans on replacing the speedo cluster for one that had a built- in gas gauge and then trying to find a miniature tach.

Chawman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2018 Ford Escape 2014
I just want to get my own Lariat addition and die a happy old man. I’ve been a Ford guy my whole life, but can’t believe how miserable they failed on this roll out

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What Ford didn't strip was the [...], paint, [...], or other core components.
Yeah cause the paint strips itself :p Just teasing but man that paint doesn't seem like it's gonna hold up.

Roll-Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Celica, Pilot
I really just wanted a 'stripper' model without the tech features, and preferred the spartan base interior. To be honest, the fact I can have a keyed ignition, plain back window, manual locking tailgate, manual side windows and no windshield sensors is a big seller to me.
Heck, a turbo, tow package an AWD for $25k?! That's taking advantage of Ford cranking out base hybrids to drive down their corporate MPG's.
Tech feature are just things to get outdated and go wrong.
Sponsored