Sponsored

Is Undercoating Taboo?

Deleted member 1370

That's the product I use on my guns. It is great stuff. Never thought about putting it underneath the vehicle. Does he spray it on straight out of the can or does he dilute it?
he dillutes it with water. and puts it in a sprayer he ususally uses for the garden haha. How many parts water to ballistol im not sure however. Id have to ask him and get back to you. Yup he loves the product too. he calls it the "lubricant of champions" but if it can prevent rust on a steel rifle why not a steel vehicle? Metal is metal.
Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Id recommend when you wash the vehicle put some Ballistol in the mix of water and spray underneath when washing it. It does help prevent rust corrosion if you keep up on it. Surface rust will occur of course but it wont eat away like a 90s dodge.
Tell me about it. I had a 2006 Dodge Dakota that was bought and run around Chicago. The truck ended up in Florida and I was able to steal it from the lot for $6K. Knew there were a few leaks that needed fixing but wasn't aware the salt from Chicago had already done the damage. It was all in the seams eating away at the metal. I couldn't find anyone that would do sheet metal work. Everywhere I went it was "replace the complete bed". I traded it after a year for $7,500. I was happy. KBB had it at $3K

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fluid Film is an amazing undercoating that is also not permanent

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've used them in Florida a long time ago. They went bankrupt a long time ago. I recently searched to check and saw the posting. Bummer.
Yeah I was just posting it as a joke. I think they went out of business in the early 90's. I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's in the Northeast and I remember those stickers were on just about every car in my neighborhood back then. The funny thing is that I remember that seemingly all the cars that had the sticker were also severely rusted out. Maybe that's why they went bankrupt. 🤷‍♂️

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I hand an old Plymouth Volare that I had it put on down here in Florida and never had an issue.

Sponsored

omar2006

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150, 93 F150, 90 Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see a lot of people against it, claiming it traps in moisture and promotes rust, but that has not been my experience. My 2015 F150 spent most of its life in Minnesota. When I bought it, I wiped down the entire frame with MEK and then I used Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator and also their Internal Frame Coating. 5 winters in MN and the frame still looks like this. Sure some spots need touch ups every year before winter, but it’s still this clean overall. On suspension and hard to reach areas, use Fluid Film.

Ford Maverick Is Undercoating Taboo? 4C894E71-44F7-45E6-AF79-AFF970E17DA8

Ford Maverick Is Undercoating Taboo? D1D54D33-F6A6-4EFF-A130-B32CF9D6C63D

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone living where they salt the roads: When the snow melts for a bit, take your truck to a self-serve car wash, and wash the wrong side of the car. The underside needs more wash than the shiny side. That will displace/dilute a lot of the salt that promotes corrosion. Even just a rinse with fresh water can make a lot of difference, but it is not something you do once and never need to do again. Multiple times throughout the winter months, and you will be surprised how well a vehicle can come through a winter.
If you do want to do some coating, I would personally do it as soon as possible. Problem is that most vehicles will be delivered in the wrong season to do much. If you apply preventive, and the parts are still wet from rain/snow/slush/etc, you may trap water under the coating, as in the bent over edge of a door skin, down at the bottom, where the rust loves to grow. Might be better to wait until spring, flush heavily with fresh water, and then be sure to let things dry completely before application.
Wish there was a sure-fire way to get the parts prepped without covering over dirt/debris/H2O/etc. Once it leaves the assembly plant, nature starts, and she is relentless.
tom

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't hear much about new vehicle undercoating. Is that service is still available or desirable?
Here in Maine they use heavy salting of the roads. I pay I think 25 bucks a month for unlimited car washes with the undercarriage spray included. I found that to do the job, I get a clean Truck and the salt removed for the bottom too.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Live in Minnesota... heavy salt here. I’ve had great luck with Auto Armour, it’s plasticized and thin and it gets into all the nooks and crannies. Usually about $500 installed. One problem up here, it’s tough to depend on frequent washings because it is often too cold to use the car wash.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chris_G

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Live in Minnesota... heavy salt here. I’ve had great luck with Auto Armour, it’s plasticized and thin and it gets into all the nooks and crannies. Usually about $500 installed. One problem up here, it’s tough to depend on frequent washings because it is often too cold to use the car wash.
Here in Virginia, they go absolutely crazy with brine. Brine is sprayed on the road with or without snow.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm anxious to see what people are undercoating and what they are not. It looks like there are some plastic shields down there, probably for fuel economy, the spare is down there, etc. It also looked in one video that the wheel wells have liners?

Interested in what people will be protecting!
Sponsored