First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't hear much about new vehicle undercoating. Is that service is still available or desirable?
Sponsored

ItsaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is a bad idea personally. Guaranteed they will never get it clean enough for perfect bonding unless it is done at the factory or the body is removed from the frame (in the case of a traditional truck). Knowing that it may peel and then salty water can get trapped behind it expediting corrosion. I am personally a fan of just hosing underneath with rustoleum professional flat black enamel any time I am under the vehicle and i see rust. I don't even really clean well. Just wire brush it and hose it with paint. The paint flakes instead of bubbling which is why I like it much more. I have been doing this for 10 years with good results. And it looks good on resale if someone goes under the vehicle.

OP
OP
Chris_G

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is a bad idea personally. Guaranteed they will never get it clean enough for perfect bonding unless it is done at the factory or the body is removed from the frame (in the case of a traditional truck). Knowing that it may peel and then salty water can get trapped behind it expediting corrosion. I am personally a fan of just hosing underneath with rustoleum professional flat black enamel any time I am under the vehicle and i see rust. I don't even really clean well. Just wire brush it and hose it with paint. The paint flakes instead of bubbling which is why I like it much more. I have been doing this for 10 years with good results. And it looks good on resale if someone goes under the vehicle.
Thanks, when I sold my truck it didn't look so good underneath due to rust. I will keep that rustoleum thought.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I have always considered undercoatings a scam, especially today when peel-able easily replaced coatings like plastidip exist. Just use temp range appropriate products if you insist on using a coating.

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Check out Krown, Fluid Film, or Woolwax..... you have to reapply them yearly but the guys over on the other forum I'm on really like them. You can have it professionally done, or DIY it yourself.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Check out Krown, Fluid Film, or Woolwax..... you have to reapply them yearly but the guys over on the other forum I'm on really like them. You can have it professionally done, or DIY it yourself.
Was about to say the same. I wouldn't get a plasticized or rubberized undercoating because they can trap moisture and cause corrosion. But an oil- or wax-based product like Fluid Film or NHOil are pretty proven to prevent rust and corrosion.

I use Fluid Film even here in the southwest. It looks (and smells) like crap, but blasting it off with a pressure washer once a year results in a brand new matte-black undercarriage underneath.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Was about to say the same. I wouldn't get a plasticized or rubberized undercoating because they can trap moisture and cause corrosion. But an oil- or wax-based product like Fluid Film or NHOil are pretty proven to prevent rust and corrosion.

I use Fluid Film even here in the southwest. It looks (and smells) like crap, but blasting it off with a pressure washer once a year results in a brand new matte-black undercarriage underneath.
I think it is going to be very regional what the “best product” is.

here in the NW GA foothills we almost never see sand or salt on roads and if you do, you probably should not be driving because the highway department doesn’t know how to apply it anyway.

live in El Paso? You are going to see sand. Blind people can see the sand.

live on a coast? Salt.

you folks above the mason dixon line can cover the roads with my sympathy for having to endure cold anything. Cold at my age and condition just means pain

ItsaMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have bad rot in new England due to tons of road salt. Just spraying it with flat black rattle can never failed me. Sometimes I don't even clean it...

OP
OP
Chris_G

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have bad rot in new England due to tons of road salt. Just spraying it with flat black rattle can never failed me. Sometimes I don't even clean it...
Tons of brine on the roads around here.

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury

Deleted member 1370

my father does basically the exact same thing on his '17 frontier but instead of Rustoleum he uses Ballistol. Both prevent rust granted. Same ending, different product. He even went to a mechanic for a routine lube, oil and filter maintenance and they said it looked really good on the bottom for rust. Just thin surface rust and nothing more. Which they said is odd for a Nissan. So they said to keep doing what hes doing.

Deleted member 1370

I don't hear much about new vehicle undercoating. Is that service is still available or desirable?
Id recommend when you wash the vehicle put some Ballistol in the mix of water and spray underneath when washing it. It does help prevent rust corrosion if you keep up on it. Surface rust will occur of course but it wont eat away like a 90s dodge.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which they said is odd for a Nissan.
I had a 2008 Nissan Frontier. 3rd owner here in Le Salt, Wisconsin. It was scarey crawling under that rust bucket to just change oil. Glad that truck finally died before it crushed me.

I'm gonna try Krown. Otherwise flat black shakems cans are in garage.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
my father does basically the exact same thing on his '17 frontier but instead of Rustoleum he uses Ballistol. Both prevent rust granted. Same ending, different product. He even went to a mechanic for a routine lube, oil and filter maintenance and they said it looked really good on the bottom for rust. Just thin surface rust and nothing more. Which they said is odd for a Nissan. So they said to keep doing what hes doing.
That's the product I use on my guns. It is great stuff. Never thought about putting it underneath the vehicle. Does he spray it on straight out of the can or does he dilute it?
Sponsored