Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's been working out great for me!
Any idea what's the best product to use on it to help protect from sun damage and keep it looking nice and black for a long time?
Sponsored

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you are joking - right? I’m an aircraft engineer ( mechanical by degree). I worry about aero things. I assume with the supports there is minimal flapping/flutter but was just asking for confirmation. I’m ok with a joke now and then though. I was seriously asking. It sounds like the best deal financially unless it flaps/flutters to the point it’s likely to rip after a year or so. I doubt it flaps but higher confidence asking someone with experience than making an assumption. Thanks
We're having 45mph winds today and in the parking lot at work I can see it flapping from my window. I think theres no way to avoid it with a soft cover.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're having 45mph winds today and in the parking lot at work I can see it flapping from my window. I think theres no way to avoid it with a soft cover.
I don't know why people (not you) are wringing their hands over this and heading for the fainting couch. It's a soft vinyl cover over a stiff aluminum frame. Even if the cover was tight as a snare drum, I'm sure there would still be some deflection and fluttering with high winds.

There are no problems. It's not harming anything. The metal frame stays locked down tight

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're having 45mph winds today and in the parking lot at work I can see it flapping from my window. I think there's no way to avoid it with a soft cover.
To be clear when you say flapping in the wind you mean that the fabric on the top is moving as the air moves across it. You're not talking about it lifting off the bed rails and flapping up and down off the bedrails.

It has a fabric covering so it's going to react to air moving over it but it is not actually lifting off the rails and almost coming off the truck.

It's perfectly safe and reacts just like any other soft cover. If you are looking for no movement at all you will need a hard cover.

Sponsored

Snartman619

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grey Ford Ranger Stx Fx2 Super Cab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same 1 on my Maverick got it a month ago in real truck. This month I got the husky liners from real truck

Snartman619

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grey Ford Ranger Stx Fx2 Super Cab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine moves a bit in the wind but seams fine. I periodically check that the cover is tight.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah its rigid against the bed rails but the material waves around easily. I wouldnt imagine the frame moves at all under any circumstance.
I dont mind the flapping at all. I'd prefer the hard fold but dont want to spend the money.

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah its rigid against the bed rails but the material waves around easily. I wouldnt imagine the frame moves at all under any circumstance.
I dont mind the flapping at all. I'd prefer the hard fold but dont want to spend the money.
The cost and for me I didn't want additional rails attached inside the bedrails. The bed is small enough that I didn't want anything else taking up space. That's one of the biggest reasons I picked this one

Mike215

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the pics and comments everyone. First thing on my list if I ever get the Mav. I had the soft one from Ford as part of my order but dropped it hoping it would help my truck get built, but it didn't.

Sponsored

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got it just to cover stuff on the way to camp M in case it rains. I ended up liking the way it looks so I generally keep it on. Take less than 1 minute to take off so when I need the full bed I leave it at home. One of the things I like most about the truck.

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Next time I have the cover off I'm going to take off the brackets to measure them so I can 3d print a couple extras in case something happens to one of them. The plastic seems strong but it's still plastic.

lapercussion

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I ordered a cover from ford for twice the money then I get the email that it's back ordered!

OP
OP
PDM33

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a cover from ford for twice the money then I get the email that it's back ordered!
Looks like it’s time to cancel the Ford order and get the Gator! And something nice for you with the extra cash

lapercussion

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I have to call Ford anyway on Monday to deal with another matter and I'll see if they can cancel this BS backorder nonsense.
Sponsored