Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've been researching tonneau covers since placing my original Mav order in Oct 2021. I purchased my Mav in March 2023 and am slowly accessorizing it.

I'm leaning towards purchasing a soft tri-fold cover, but even then the different brands, cover material, open/close hardware, etc is somewhat overwhelming. I'm retired so trying to keep cost under $400. Regardless of the brand I have a few questions I hope some of you with more pickup experience can comment on:

- Since the soft cover itself is stretched across each panel frame, does a soft tri-fold flap less than a roll-up cover at highway speeds? In theory it should flap less but...

- Most tri-folds clamp to bed walls up front and rear panel has locking hardware, but when totally closed what keeps the center panel from moving around, especially at highway speeds?

- For those of you that have a Maverick soft tri-fold cover, what is the actual overall weight of the unit? While I'm healthy for my age, I'm wondering how difficult swinging that long tri-fold up and off the bed would be when I want to use the entire open bed.

TIA for any comments!
Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The gator sfx is probably the most popular of the soft tri fold. It’s under $300 from real truck. Also you get a discount for being a Maverick truck club member.

. It does flap in the wind. Doesn’t bother me and can’t hear it.

. When closed you can’t lift the center panel.

. Im not sure of the exact weight but it it’s very light. I can lift it out no problem with one hand. I take it off frequently. Takes all of 1 minute to remove and maybe 2 minutes to put back on.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a gator sfx and IMO it's a nearly ideal soft trifold. It attaches securely and very easily and didn't bang or flop around at all. Very light, sealed reasonably well even though I never bothered with the extra weatherstripping they sent.

I would buy one again. I sold it for an inexpensive hard trifold from amazon because I occasionally have to park in sketchy areas and need the back to be more secure. I liked the gator better because it was lighter and simpler to use, just not quite as secure.

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Ford soft trifold cover and while I have never taken it off completely, just. from folding 2 sections back and forth it doesn't seem to me that it would be any problem with the weight of the cover to remover it completely. And I'm 76 years old.
Sponsored