Sponsored

Impressive Cold Weather Performance and MPG in -8F (Hybrid Maverick)

Maverich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Velocity Blue XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had -13 degree F temperatures this past weekend. Truck started up no problem. I drove 100 highway miles in -8 and then another 100 highway miles in -2. MPG was around 23MPG (with 10 miles electric) in each direction. Didn't go above 75, and half of the drive was 55mph. My lifetime average MPG showing was almost 42 mpg (like 41.9) and after the trip it was down to 41.4 mpg.

Engine was definitely louder than normal in the extreme cold, but never felt like it didn't have the power it needed.

I've also attached an image of my most recent 5 mile trip where I got 60.5 mpg driving up to 45 MPH. That was 38 degree weather.

I'm getting awesome MPG generally, love my truck.

Ford Maverick Impressive Cold Weather Performance and MPG in -8F (Hybrid Maverick) IMG_7868.JPG

Ford Maverick Impressive Cold Weather Performance and MPG in -8F (Hybrid Maverick) IMG_7869.JPG

Ford Maverick Impressive Cold Weather Performance and MPG in -8F (Hybrid Maverick) IMG_7847.JPG
Sponsored

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for the report. I would have thought it would have been a bit better than 23MPG on your 200 mile trip though. I take it that heater demand in that cold weather and the highway speeds kept it down.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nice report.
At -8°F I'm not even going to recommend keeping the heater off for added MPG.

(But at +38°F I do. Net 42 MPG at 38 deg.)

😎

OP
OP
Maverich

Maverich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for the report. I would have thought it would have been a bit better than 23MPG on your 200 mile trip though. I take it that heater demand in that cold weather and the highway speeds kept it down.
Yeah, we had the heater pretty high, seat heater was on, the steering wheel heater was on (which is awesome) and it was a bit windy, all of which probably impacted the MPG.

Sponsored

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We road trip our Prius for snowboarding - had a low of -8*F yesterday (Jackson, WY). MPG for a short trip (less than 10 miles) was in the 20s. Car usually gets 50-60. Heating up the engine and cab takes a lot of energy.
Longer trip after the mountain, though, and we were getting 50-55 mpg, with single digit temps and a warm cabin. Snow tires and cold knock off about 15% for our hwy mpg. The initial warmup is the mpg killer.
Maybe next season we'll have our Mav to try out on the trip...!

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had to take the Maverick a couple weeks ago when it got below zero, because my EV decided it was too cold. I was very glad for the super hot heated seats and steering wheel in the Maverick.

OP
OP
Maverich

Maverich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We road trip our Prius for snowboarding - had a low of -8*F yesterday (Jackson, WY). MPG for a short trip (less than 10 miles) was in the 20s. Car usually gets 50-60. Heating up the engine and cab takes a lot of energy.
Longer trip after the mountain, though, and we were getting 50-55 mpg, with single digit temps and a warm cabin. Snow tires and cold knock off about 15% for our hwy mpg. The initial warmup is the mpg killer.
Maybe next season we'll have our Mav to try out on the trip...!
We had a 2008 Prius that was great for mileage in cold weather once it got warm, and I suspect the Maverick would have had better MPG if not for the seat/steering wheel heaters and my wife putting the temp up super high in the cab. We took our Prius everywhere and it held a LOT of stuff when you put the seats down. It's a sneaky good alternative to a Maverick, the MPG is so much better and the carrying capacity is more than most people realize. But when you get the Maverick, you'll enjoy the space and the ride height, because the Prius is really low to the ground, imo. Prius is still a great car!

dhill59

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's been cold here for California standards (30-50) and I'm down a good 5MPG - not running the heater much as I grew up in the mid-west where 30-50 is a heat wave.
Sponsored