clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The larger Electric motor is always driving the wheels. The larger electric motor in the hybrid is actually geared to the wheels so anytime the tires are turning it is turning. It's the gas engine that can turn on and off as your need for power and speed change.
Above 85 the gas engine runs continuously. When the gas engine is running the second electric motor becomes a generator and is continually producing power.
Unless I’m mistaken, when at high speeds like 65+ the smaller generator motor approaches being stopped, and then at further high speeds it is being spun in the opposite direction of the planet carrier/ICE crankshaft (overdrive gear ratio of the planetary gear system). I don’t think it can generate electricity in those situations. Or maybe the ICE RPM has to ramp up to a relatively very high and inefficient point at higher speeds if HVB state of charge is low enough to warrant it? I’m exceeding my knowledge here.

Excellent video, see around 25:30 mark.

And although the traction motor is physically tied to the wheels, that doesn’t mean it’s always using electricity to drive, sometimes it’s just spinning while the ICE is doing the work at high cruising speeds, where the ICE is most efficient?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toll Road 130. It's about a mile from my house and most people are going 90 or better.
Love that Road. Not much worse than Austin traffic with the 1 interstate that cuts straight thru downtown.

But hey those people going 90 are only 5 over the limit. My dad always taught me, keep it under 10 over and you’ll be fine.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
You're saying the Hybrid CAN'T DO 80 MPH? I have basically the same engines, weight and everything and I can do 80+ all day, until I run out of gas.
No, I'm saying the hybrid may not be capable of 130+, mostly due to aerodynamics.

Any vehicle can do 80 these days.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I'm saying the hybrid may not be capable of 130+, mostly due to aerodynamics.
I don't know, with a long enough road followed by a deep enough cliff, I could see it reaching the 140mph listed on the speedo. Trick will be to make sure the vehicle is perfectly vertical while falling for maximum terminal velocity, maybe fold the mirrors in, and remember to say "Its showtime Phil" in your best Bill Murray impersonation.

Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Boy I'm getting to be an old man - I never go above 75 ish.. usually run at 70 on the highway... I'm turning into an old fat

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless I’m mistaken, when at high speeds like 65+ the smaller generator motor approaches being stopped, and then at further high speeds it is being spun in the opposite direction of the planet carrier/ICE crankshaft (overdrive gear ratio of the planetary gear system). I don’t think it can generate electricity in those situations. Or maybe the ICE RPM has to ramp up to a relatively very high and inefficient point at higher speeds if HVB state of charge is low enough to warrant it? I’m exceeding my knowledge here.

Excellent video, see around 25:30 mark.

And although the traction motor is physically tied to the wheels, that doesn’t mean it’s always using electricity to drive, sometimes it’s just spinning while the ICE is doing the work at high cruising speeds, where the ICE is most efficient?

I think you are correct. I've been watching a lot of videos on the eCVT.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Motors have to spin to generate electricity or torque. Direction of spin doesn't matter, you just reverse the order energizing the three stator circuits.

There is a combination of road speed and engine speed that stops the charging motor. I suspect the control system knows to avoid that combination when charging current is needed. You can see it stop when they demo this simulator, but only at one engine speed..

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Motors have to spin to generate electricity or torque. Direction of spin doesn't matter, you just reverse the order energizing the three stator circuits.

There is a combination of road speed and engine speed that stops the charging motor. I suspect the control system knows to avoid that combination when charging current is needed. You can see it stop when they demo this simulator, but only at one engine speed..
Here’s one of those details that bothers me and i don’t understand—the crankshaft in this case only spins in one direction, so the planet carrier only spins in one direction, so it can only apply force to spin the sun gear (MG1) against resistance in one direction? You said that the generator motor can charge while spinning in either direction. Sure that makes sense theoretically, but what is forcing it to spin in the opposite direction at very high speeds? I assumed it took a little battery power.

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
My guess is probably. But I didn't know they had an autobahn in the Lakeland Florida area now.... ;)
Have you ever driven on i4? Its like the autobahn meets mad max

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... the planet carrier only spins in one direction, so it can only apply force to spin the sun gear (MG1) against resistance in one direction?
MG1 provides torque when it acts as the starter (power to ICE) and it absorbs torque when it acts as a generator (power from ICE), so we know power flows both ways.

Understanding how is our personal challenge. I'm no expert, either.

Last edited:

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You don't need to purchase a Maverick - you need to save your money for speeding tickets - sounds like you are going to get a lot of them!

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Boy I'm getting to be an old man - I never go above 75 ish.. usually run at 70 on the highway... I'm turning into an old fat
My preferred speed on Interstates around an Urban core (<50 MI) is about 68 mph. Fast enough no one runs into your rear, but slow enough for my slowing reactions to cope when cars are close by, doing stupid things. At 68 mph I don't have people pacing me for very long. They get tired of my pace. Tailgaters and hyper milers drafting you, are the most dangerous people on the road IMO

Out on the open prairies in the middle of nowhere I might get up to the speed limit on the interstate I am traveling. Some are 70 limit, some are 75 or 80. Lots if variety around the mid-west.

Do the people who drive at 10-15 mph realize others drivers are not looking out for you approaching that fast, especially on a crowded road.

10 days ago I was on I-35 N out of Kansas City. Nearing Kearney MO,. a threesome of performance cars were running in a pack 10 ft. apart, at speeds in excess of 130+ MPH. They blew by me and out of sight in seconds. I guess they only think of themselves.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
10 days ago I was on I-35 N out of Kansas City. Nearing Kearney MO,. a threesome of performance cars were running in a pack 10 ft. apart, at speeds in excess of 130+ MPH. They blew by me and out of sight in seconds. I guess they only think of themselves
I was in that area driving too fast down country roads a few years ago for the eclipse. In my defense there was very little clear sky, and even less time to find/get under it.

Had a similar experience with lambos etc in Colorado Springs this summer. There were also some idiots in high end rentals pulling that crap on metro highways here in Minneapolis a few years back.

Mikecando

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will the Maverick hybrid be able to keep up that speed or higher without issues?
Absolutely. Drove from Pa to Florida Keys. Non stop except for gas and a 4 hour rest. Average 36 mpg. Had trouble keeping it under 85.
Sponsored