Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Considering the relatively high coefficient of drag that pickups have vs. cars, I wouldn't think the Maverick Hybrid would be able to go much faster than 80 mph. Maybe 85- 90 mph? Perhaps 95 mph for the Ecoboost? That's my guess. 60 mph is good enough for me.
I had a 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid and just traded it for a 2021 Lexus ES300h (hybrid). BOTH vehicles have a 2.5l engine. I think the difference may be the HP. The Toyota and Lexus have 215-system-hp, 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder and electric motor with continuously variable automatic. Both weigh in at 3,700 lbs and both are 195" long. So I believe they are fairly similar to the Maverick.

I have NO problem going 80+ MPH for long distances, especially on the Interstate. Your MPG will suffer but you can do the speed no problem. What the Maverick can do in still an unknown as NO one except the mannequin drivers have been allowed to drive it.
Sponsored

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My guess is probably. But I didn't know they had an autobahn in the Lakeland Florida area now.... ;)
I-4 between Tampa and Orlando is the Road to Hell. Drive fast or get run over!

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read that the worst thing you can do to a hybrid is push the vehicle past 80 because the electric motor kicks in to assist and drains the battery down to minimum - wears it out faster. Driving 90?? For the love of God don't hit anyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: HPR

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
The hybrid has nothing to do with top speed. It has a 190hp gas engine! Battery power is only used during low load. I have 80 mph highways that I travel and would bet my fuel mileage on the 2.0 is no worse than the 2.5 hybrid guys on the same road.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The larger Electric motor is always driving the wheels. The larger electric motor in the hybrid is actually geared to the wheels so anytime the tires are turning it is turning. It's the gas engine that can turn on and off as your need for power and speed change.
Above 85 the gas engine runs continuously. When the gas engine is running the second electric motor becomes a generator and is continually producing power.

Sponsored

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Uh...no.

Unless it's electronically limited, the eb should be able to do like 130+. The hybrid maybe a tad less, but not 80...

My 2014 Focus St has the 2 liter ecoboost engine and is rated above 150mph [I haven't tried it out]. BUT! Much better aerodynamics and about 350 lbs lighter. 0 to 60 is 6 plus seconds; the ecoboost Maverick is over 7.5 seconds to 60.

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2014 Focus St has the 2 liter ecoboost engine and is rated above 150mph [I haven't tried it out]. BUT! Much better aerodynamics and about 350 lbs lighter. 0 to 60 is 6 plus seconds; the ecoboost Maverick is over 7.5 seconds to 60.
I had a 2018 Focus ST on which I installed the Ford Performance Calibration (Ford’s warrantied tune).
I shall neither confirm nor deny achieving 150 MPH on a lonely highway in Nevada. ;)
Regarding 0-60 time, I expect that an AWD Maverick will actually be quicker than an ST simply because of superior traction. The ST was more than eager to spin the front tires and a fast launch was somewhat challenging to achieve. Also, automatics shift faster than most people can shift a manual.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Uh...no.

Unless it's electronically limited, the eb should be able to do like 130+. The hybrid maybe a tad less, but not 80...
You're saying the Hybrid CAN'T DO 80 MPH? I have basically the same engines, weight and everything and I can do 80+ all day, until I run out of gas.

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WE have a 07 Prius and it has no problem doing 85+ on the interstate here in Texas, still has the original Batteries and just over 200k miles and going strong. See no reason the Mav would do any less.

Deleted member 1483

My escape barely feels winded up to 80mph, and would probably barely feel winded when I hit the limiter at 118. The Hybrid will do 80.

Sponsored

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Oh yeah. I30 near the new 35 split never allows me to go fast.
I'm in North Richland Hills & work in Oak Cliff. 820 to 30. Always fun. Never a dull moment!!

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in North Richland Hills & work in Oak Cliff. 820 to 30. Always fun. Never a dull moment!!
I’m in Oak Cliff and drove out to NRH for the Mav trainer they had last month. That’s a drive.

Blessedintx

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
I’m in Oak Cliff and drove out to NRH for the Mav trainer they had last month. That’s a drive.
That it is! One reason I'm going hybrid! I don't have to be over there til noon and I leave between 830 and 9. But there is still a lot of cars (and dummies) out and about! Plus the construction! Yikes.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Unless it's electronically limited
The Escape Hybrid is RPM-limited to ~125 mph.
I read that the worst thing you can do to a hybrid is push the vehicle past 80 because the electric motor kicks in to assist and drains the battery down to minimum - wears it out faster. ...
Hybrid mode is normal operation that won't hurt the car. It's true that hybrid mode will draw the HVB down if you put your foot into it. That's the idea behind parallel hybrids; use battery to offset some of the ICE load.

I've seen EV assist kick in at 10kW after a long regen run downhill (full HVB), and 40kW with no EV when the HVB is low. The control system changes what it does, and when, based on HVB state of charge (SOC).

The one thing that's not displayed is the output of the generator, yet it has a large contribution.

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 6 year old Ford C max HYBRID has no problem doing 80 +. And as found out it will do over 85 pulling a trailer (was not noticing but just keeping pace with the traffic) Slowed it down to about 70 rest of the trip (still got 32 mpg)
Sponsored