First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2000lbs! That's cutting it too close ain't it? Danger Zone for Maverick!
I bought it with this light camper in mind so I'm ok with it. We removed a few unnecessary things from it and dropped about 300 lbs.

With us and all our crap I think it's about 1900lbs total. Still have 100 lbs or so of stuff I can slim down from it.
Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You may think you're hurting the engine but that's exactly what it's designed to do. Using the primary motor to charge the battery. The only other real option to use the real brakes is neutral. And I don't recommend that at all.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Great Report by the OP here!
Ford knows trucks and they build in a margin of safety for tow ratings.
Cool video here

Last edited:

Mr Perfect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cobalt, Traverse
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello. I just got back from a short trip and thought I'd share the experience with anyone who's interested in towing with their hybrid.
What camper is that?

OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What camper is that?
It's an 06 palomino pony 280.
Smallest one in decent shape we could find locally.
We wanted to do a utility trailer conversion but with 2 kids under 2 we dont have the time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great Report by the OP here!
Ford knows trucks and they build in a margin of safety for tow ratings.
Cool video here
Thanks. I figured I'd share the experience and someone could learn something from it or ask some questions.
Thanks for the video.

Yvonne Federowicz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Yvonne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT ordered 11/21; Subaru XTrek
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello. I just got back from a short trip and thought I'd share the experience with anyone who's interested in towing with their hybrid.

I am at a fairly low elevation in Las Vegas. App. 2000ft. We decided to spend the night at a nearby mountain range. At the final stop we were at 8700 ft.

The first thousand feet was a slow climb that was about 20 miles so it didnt take much effort and we could hardly feel the app. 2000 lb trailer.

The last stretch was very steep and went up about 5000ft in 40 miles.

I had it in tow mode and it was similar to sport mode in that it gave a good amount of power immediately and never went into electric mode while moving. Didnt notice any other characteristics from tow mode.

On the way there we were doing about 65 mph around a long bouncy curve and the trailer started swaying pretty bad, enough to where I had to counter steer a bit to keep the truck in the lane. At about 3 corrections in and no throttle or brake input a message came on the dash and said trailer sway detected and the truck applied the brakes and corrected the sway. I found that interesting.

The trip home was much easier and was 99٪ downhill. I did notice one thing I was not a fan of. During the initial downgrade the truck was using the engine to help slow down when the brakes were applied. Normally I wouldnt mind but I didnt want it wound up like that for 40 miles. I switched between modes to try to correct it but all of them tried to assist. I'd rather replace brake pads and rotors over unnecessary engine wear.

20220513_163614.jpg

20220513_194604.jpg
Hello, thank you for the post, and the great photos! That blue is much nicer than my first impression of it, just saw one "in the wild" also. Hoping to get my new hybrid in Cactus Grey soon!

I wonder if the Maverick was using regenerative braking to some extent going downhill? Is that detectably different from engine braking in a Maverick? I guess since it's not a plug-in hybrid, its (drive system) battery cannot really charge up that much; my current plug-in hybrid regained about 7 miles of range, coming down off of the Shenandoah National Park's "Skyline Drive" elevation.

Pacman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the write up. Very informative for those of us who will tow in the mountains with our hybrids. The fact that even with that climb you still got 21.5 mpg is outstanding.

SiGmA_X

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Why is it keeping me from cooking the brakes? I'd rather cook my brakes and lose all braking power down a mountain!"

🤦‍♂️
You took the words out of my mouth lol.

Jaydeeself

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion, Transit, Transit connect, vw dune buggy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought it with this light camper in mind so I'm ok with it. We removed a few unnecessary things from it and dropped about 300 lbs.

With us and all our crap I think it's about 1900lbs total. Still have 100 lbs or so of stuff I can slim down from it.
The single axle trailers tend to sway at different speeds. Get a anti sway kit like this picture, I have the 1 from harbor freight. And then the hitch with the tab on the side. If you don't want to buy both the anti sway kit comes with the tab to Weld on to your existing hitch. They work amazing.

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing experience Screenshot_20220518-090706_Amazon Shoppin

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing experience Screenshot_20220518-090651_Amazon Shoppin

Sponsored
OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The single axle trailers tend to sway at different speeds. Get a anti sway kit like this picture, I have the 1 from harbor freight. And then the hitch with the tab on the side. If you don't want to buy both the anti sway kit comes with the tab to Weld on to your existing hitch. They work amazing.

Screenshot_20220518-090706_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220518-090651_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Nice thanks, I'll look into those. I did notice it swaying even at lower speeds.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford should not rate the vehicle for 2000 lbs. if that is a "danger zone". Now granted, I would use more caution when towing that amount. Reduce speed mainly.

OP
OP

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My goal is to be at 1800lbs or less fully loaded. Wont likely travel more than 100 miles while towing

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While I can't speak to the hybrid but I have the ecoboost FX4 AWD with 4k package and can say from personal experience that it tows more than 4k without a problem I wouldn't recommend you climb a 20% grade for miles on end while doing it but I didn't notice the truck having a problem when I towed almost 5k. Like I said I wasn't going up super steep grades with it either but normal driving going from point A to B In my experience it will do 5k pretty easily and imlive in Maine which isn't flat ground
Sponsored