Sponsored

Hybrid on long road trip with 17 mile dirt road?

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is 3 hours on foot maximum away from help with well defined roads and numerous tourists really away from civilization?
I'm not saying 3 hours from nearest tourists. I'm saying MAXIMUM worst case scenario 3 hours like if you were there on a slow day like super bowl Sunday.
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This video on overlanding really caught my attention, and it seems relevant to this thread...

That useless extinguisher lol.

I'm not saying 3 hours from nearest tourists. I'm saying MAXIMUM worst case scenario 3 hours like if you were there on a slow day like super bowl Sunday.
3 hours there, how many hours back for whatever reason etc etc. RIP your day. Also, never underestimate some people's will to NOT survive for 3 hours :ROFLMAO:
I know your intentions are good... but the thread is a helpful list of items to be prepared and minimizing risks. Better to be prepared for the entire road trip than have to rely on others when something simple could have solved the problem and got you back on the road.

Last edited:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Possibility of losing cell service? Either way, my list is not taking getting stranded lightly:

• Tire patch kits/tire inflation device
  • Recovery rope
  • Shovel (folding e-tool)
  • Battery jumper
  • Flares/chemlights & something high vis/reflective
  • Blankets food and water (hand warmers)
  • Fire source(s)
  • Spare fluids (maybe distilled water for coolant replacement and washer fluid). For longer trip like yours I carry all fluids including coolant to avoid any need to dig into a potential emergency water supply, including coolant, washer fluid, distilled, oil, brake and tranny fluid. I'd even throw in a spare oil filter just in case especially with the Hybrids composite or whatever material felt that is for the skid plates.
  • Bottle jack w/ a wide bottom stand
  • General tool box with all your normal stuff (hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, tapes - electrical and duct at minimum- knives, etc etc)
  • Wet wipes
  • First aid kit (something decent not just band-aids - and inspect it open anything that needs to be open to access quickly)
  • Gloves
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Spare cables for charging anything you have that might need power
  • Medicines (any spares you need and stuff like ibuprofen/advil
  • Flashlights/headlamps
  • Spare batteries
  • Water
Yes, it'll all fit.

Check your spare before you go. Drop it entirely, check the psi and condition.
If you have the tire inflator don't be afraid to air down your tires a bit when you reach the dirt roads if you really need to. Even a small amount can help pretty basic tires avoid some punctures. Personally I go down to about 30 on some roads around me but 25 isn't a stretch for others. If you feel your tires are not up to par - don't risk it. Get out, stop, and inspect the area you are planning on driving through before commiting. In the military we also had a thing called 5's and 25's. Look down then out, scanning. You never know what creatures might be right under your feet.

Never underestimate nature. Be prepared.

Sounds like you got plenty of time and I hope you have a great trip! Take pics to share with us. I love that whole area.
Rock solid advice here (no pun intended, but I'll take the win). It is MTC members such as yourself who make this such a great club and forum.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Folks periodically get lost in the Great Smokies and never make it out, sometime never to be found. This is the most visited national park. Never hurts to be prepared.

Reactions: Dad

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am seeking if anyone has taken their hybrid to dirt road. We are going on a 2.5K mile road trip to the valley of the gods and monument valley in May and taking the mav to the 17 mile dirt loop road. Have AT tires installed

also any safety equipment i should bring on the road tip, that will be great.
Thanks.
The jump box is good to keep in your truck all the time. It's so much easier to jump your truck (or another vehicle), vs jumper cables - especially if your truck won't start and you parked where it's difficult to line up another vehicle with yours for a jump. I've had a jump box since before I even owned my Maverick and has come in very handy. The NOCO brand works well and holds a charge for many months. I check/charge mine about twice a year.

Also, take multiple keys, in case you misplace yours. Something I always do on long trips.

I have A/T tires on my FWD Hybrid and drive steep dirt & gravel roads daily.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Montana's list is very good, lacking only bear mace and/or firearms. I've always carried it hiking even though I've typically felt it's just a nuisance.

I've had several cycling friends complete the Tour Divide (look it up) and a few years ago a woman was attacked in her tent by a bear, drove it off with bear mace, and it returned that evening and mauled her to death.

• Wow

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Montana's list is very good, lacking only bear mace and/or firearms. I've always carried it hiking even though I've typically felt it's just a nuisance.

I've had several cycling friends complete the Tour Divide (look it up) and a few years ago a woman was attacked in her tent by a bear, drove it off with bear mace, and it returned that evening and mauled her to death.
Forgot:
Bring an Army regiment, attack helicopter, and briefcases full of cash.

CD_SM

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 '06
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is 3 hours on foot maximum away from help with well defined roads and numerous tourists really away from civilization?
In the desert, yes, absolutely. Doesn't have to be hot to get dehydrated. I camp in the desert with Scouts a lot, and I get as many or more headache complaints from the kids (first sign of dehydration) in the winter as I do in late spring/early fall. (Obv. no desert camping from mid-June to mid September)

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a kid we did that in a 1983 Chevy Van. You'll be fine.
Sponsored