Hybrid MPG Inconsistencies

Alext5617

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
First of all I'm in love with my XLT Hybrid Ford Maverick especially the interior with the orange Accents.

However i have two major concerns .
My hybrid is only getting around 30.8 mpg when I drive which is far below the promised 42 or even the 33 with just highway driving .

When first getting a vehicle you need to "break it in" meaning drive it with ease which I've been doing so I don't understand why I'm not hitting anywhere near the expected mpg. Currently the mileage is at 1180 miles.

The second issue is the infotainment system is extremely annoying , it continually disconnects my Bluetooth connection in the middle of a call or when I'm listening to music and the display just keeps glitching.

I know I said two things but theres one other thing that bothers me , why not allow the car to be in the mode previously selected ?? I always have to switch to eco mode every time I start the car , why not just select it and allow it to continually stay in that drive mode??

I'm Curious if anyone else has had these issues aswell and what have you done with them?
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be the lowest reported MPG that I've seen.

How fast do you drive? Are you doing 90 frequently?

Do you use remote start frequently?

You might try to reset the infotainment system and see if that solves some gremlins. I don't know off the top of my head, but you can probably find instructions here on the forums.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Winter may have something to do with it, what region are you in? What percent city vs highway, how fast do you go on average on highway? Are you doing a lot of short trips? Stock tires?

Also the mpg computer estimate can be way off. Are you recording your mileage and gas tank refills to get the “true” value?

OP
OP

Alext5617

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Winter may have something to do with it, what region are you in? What percent city vs highway, how fast do you go on average? Stock tires?

Also the mpg computer estimate can be way off. Are you recording your mileage and gas tank refills to get the “true” value?
I'm in the Pacific North West,Washington .
As of right now it's about 70% City driving and 30% Highway .
Yep stock Continental tires.

I've spent about 165$ on gas and it takes roughly 45$ to fuel up full tank. Considering in supposed to be getting roughly 500 miles a tank and I've filled up 3.67 tanks which equates to 1835 miles of driving , I'm only at 1180 miles with a bit more then half a tank of gas left. So maybe 300 Miles before empty that brings me to 1480 Miles. I'm still missing like 300 miles.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I've spent about 165$ on gas and it takes roughly 45$ to fuel up full tank. Considering in supposed to be getting roughly 500 miles a tank and I've filled up 3.67 tanks which equates to 1835 miles of driving , I'm only at 1180 miles with a bit more then half a tank of gas left. So maybe 300 Miles before empty that brings me to 1480 Miles. I'm still missing like 300 miles.
Hmm yeah seems like you should be getting better.

Do you haul anything, trailer or materials in the bed?

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Your VIN isn’t part of the fuel tank recall by chance?

OP
OP

Alext5617

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
That would be the lowest reported MPG that I've seen.

How fast do you drive? Are you doing 90 frequently?

Do you use remote start frequently?

You might try to reset the infotainment system and see if that solves some gremlins. I don't know off the top of my head, but you can probably find instructions here on the forums.
Nope like I mentioned in original post I'm breaking the truck in . I may have went like 80-90 once , but that's it.
Casually cruising around 70 , and at times I'm really trying to work on the mpg with no success.

I have used remote start about 5-10 times and only after I hit 600+ miles.
Took it to the dealer they reset the system but it still bugs out , not as frequently though.

OP
OP

Alext5617

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Hmm yeah seems like you should be getting better.

Do you haul anything, trailer or materials in the bed?
I've hauled a couple items no more then 500 pounds just a few times and no longer then an hour or two.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some reviewers do mention that one should experience a settling in period for the computer calculated mpg and miles until empty as displayed and then the numbers will better reflect expectations. One such is below.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've hauled a couple items no more then 500 pounds just a few times and no longer then an hour or two.
Hauling may have had an impact, but I wouldn't think it would be that much.

Another variable is the gasoline you're using. Gasoline with higher ethanol content will get worse gas milage. What kind of gas are you using?

Reactions: wjg
OP
OP

Alext5617

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Hauling may have had an impact, but I wouldn't think it would be that much.

Another variable is the gasoline you're using. Gasoline with higher ethanol content will get worse gas milage. What kind of gas are you using?
Just regular 87 Octane from Costco.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just regular 87 Octane from Costco.
Well, that's the limit of my knowledge. My next step would be express concern and or visit dealer.

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As Mamboman just mentioned what gas are you putting in? How much ethanol? Out of your 1180 miles how many are Electric? Should say on your screen. Also are you using EV coach setting to help train your driving habits?
For accurate mpg tracking, mark down how many total miles are on the truck at fill up. Fill up and drive. At next fill up, mark total miles on truck again. Subtract previous total miles from recent total miles (example 475 miles). Fill up and take note of exactly how many gallons to fill up. Divide that number into that total miles driven (475 miles) That will give you your accurate mpg. Keep doing that for awhile you will have accurate average. The common core math your doing right now is not how you do it and no where near accurate.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As Mamboman just mentioned what gas are you putting in? How much ethanol? Out of your 1180 miles how many are Electric? Should say on your screen. Also are you using EV coach setting to help train your driving habits?
For accurate mpg tracking, mark down how many total miles are on the truck at fill up. Fill up and drive. At next fill up, mark total miles on truck again. Subtract previous total miles from recent total miles (example 475 miles). Fill up and take note of exactly how many gallons to fill up. Divide that number into that total miles driven (475 miles) That will give you your accurate mpg. Keep doing that for awhile you will have accurate average. The common core math your doing right now is not how you do it and no where near accurate.
I haven't seen a breakdown of electric vs none use outside of shutdown
Sponsored