K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure if anyone has posted this before.
I found it informative.
If nothing else it shows what the green plug is for!

Sponsored

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Green plug or Fiberglass get your buddy pole. Cool video, Thanks for sharing. (y)

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent video; thanks for posting it. Learned a few things that were interesting. And love his comment on the "open/closed casket" tool conveniently provided by Ford.

ryan2366

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At 1:58 he focuses on the heat exchanger that is causing everyone’s issue.

3 months and waiting for the part with engine light on.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure if anyone has posted this before.
I found it informative.
If nothing else it shows what the green plug is for!

I thought the heat transfer unit was for the HVAC heater?

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I thought the heat transfer unit was for the HVAC heater?
this is a really great video.

secondly, the heat exchanger he's showing probably has some emissions benefit, warming the coolant faster means warming the engine faster. hotter engine means hotter catalytic converters which makes them much more efficient, and lower tailpipe emissions.

hotter coolant faster also means the heater core will produce heat faster and this is important for the Maverick hybrid because it does not have an electric heater. it only makes heat from a heater core, like a gas-only vehicle would.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting. Thanks.

PeteSJCA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Howdy, I didn't hear any mention of the catalytic converter, or it's location. I'd heard somewhere (probably here) that there are two converters. Any truth to that? and where is it(them) located?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Howdy, I didn't hear any mention of the catalytic converter, or it's location. I'd heard somewhere (probably here) that there are two converters. Any truth to that? and where is it(them) located?
You can see it at 1:08ish of that video. I grabbed the frame. It's integrated to the exhaust manifold and you can see the heat shield. Wish I could say that would eliminate the possibility of theft, but I suspect crackheads will still try to saw it off and scrap it. :cautious:

Also attaching diagram of it from the top side. This is from a Ford manual of some variety, I found it here on MTC.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Maverick Underbody / Undercarriage Video hybridcat

Ford Maverick Hybrid Maverick Underbody / Undercarriage Video 1302DA90-8D01-497A-9126-72939E462C61

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can see it at 1:08ish of that video. I grabbed the frame. It's integrated to the exhaust manifold and you can see the heat shield. Wish I could say that would eliminate the possibility of theft, but I suspect crackheads will still try to saw it off and scrap it. :cautious:

Also attaching diagram of it from the top side. This is from a Ford manual of some variety, I found it here on MTC.

hybridcat.png

1302DA90-8D01-497A-9126-72939E462C61.jpeg
The cat will certainly be hot that close the the engine. I wonder if that is the primary source igniting the oil in the fire recall.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The cat will certainly be hot that close the the engine. I wonder if that is the primary source igniting the oil in the fire recall.
absolutely.

exhaust manifold and catalyst(s) are easily capable of hitting motor oil flashpoint which is probably in the range of 400-450F. those components can hit 800F+, maybe a bit more under heavy load.

turbocharger on the ecoboost is even hotter. 900-1000 pretty normal, 1200+ towing or 'spirited' driving.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Catalyst internally can be 1200°F to 1600°F. Not sure what the "shell" would be.

Edlundell

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

hybridcat.png

1302DA90-8D01-497A-9126-72939E462C61.jpeg
Still can't tell from this - is the catalytic converter accessible from underneath? I've got nothing under the hood that looks like the diagram (Ecoboost, maybe?) and can't tell from the photo either. There is a big business here in the Bay Area for stolen cat converters. Some neighborhoods get hit up every day.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Still can't tell from this - is the catalytic converter accessible from underneath? I've got nothing under the hood that looks like the diagram (Ecoboost, maybe?) and can't tell from the photo either. There is a big business here in the Bay Area for stolen cat converters. Some neighborhoods get hit up every day.
Definitely not an ecoboost, there would be a turbo.

At any rate, I think it would be impossible to get the whole unit out, and I think it would be pretty difficult to get a sawzall into position to even get the main guts of the cat to scrap it. That's the coffee can looking part. You have the passenger side axle in the way (this is on the left of the screen grab from the YT video) and that crossmember nearby.
Sponsored